Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Stephen Miller promoting white nationalism to Breitbart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    Nope. Sorry.

Saying "X is white nationalist because he cites articles from a white nationalist site" does not fit the description on the source you provided: "Description: Basing the truth claim of an argument on the origin of its claims or premises."

You can agree or disagree on whether what Stephen Miller seems to have done shows he is a white nationalist. But in this context it was not used as a way of saying "his points are not true, because he is" or "this source is crap and thus..." Other posters have made the genetic fallacy (OBP is one of them) in this thread and you have not pointed that out. And then you wrongly claim a statement that was not a genetic fallacy was one.
    Is too.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Are you suggesting that the shared Miller e-mails in question don't exist?
      I'm suggesting any SPLC claim is likely bogus - so likely that I see little point considering them. Most especially because no context is given - after all, the SPLC is propagating the exact same white supremacist materials so, minus context, it's just as valid to assume the SPLC is a white supremacist organization.

You wanna dig through the emails - assuming they are available - go for it. I've got litter boxes that need cleaning.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        When you don't have the facts on your side I guess you're stuck sharing opinions and perspectives.
        That is a straw man as anyone reading the quotes or following the link can easily see. Having said that I fail to see the problem of having opinions or sharing perspectives on white nationalism. They can be inconvenient for those who feel a need to support a government that cannot be supported by a decent moral standard on this area, and that perhaps is why it is convenient to just call it an opinion.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

That is a straw man as anyone reading the quotes or following the link can easily see. Having said that I fail to see the problem of having opinions or sharing perspectives on white nationalism. They can be inconvenient for those who feel a need to support a government that cannot be supported by a decent moral standard on this area, and that perhaps is why it is convenient to just call it an opinion.
          Of all the possible reasons that I could have for mocking your reliance on opinions and perspectives rather than facts you presume that it must be due to having a problem with sharing perspectives on white nationalism. Uh. Huh. Yup. That's gotta be the reason alright.

I think we all just learned a little something more about you and it wasn't exactly pretty.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Of all the possible reasons that I could have for mocking your reliance on opinions and perspectives rather than facts you presume that it must be due to having a problem with sharing perspectives on white nationalism. Uh. Huh. Yup. That's gotta be the reason alright.

I think we all just learned a little something more about you and it wasn't exactly pretty.
            Meh. Charles is mostly here to troll Christians/conservatives. When he is clearly trolling (as is the case here), I wouldn't take what he says as necessarily his personal opinion.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Like I said your description on the text was a straw man as there are facts in it. And again, the perpectives and opinions pointed to the problem of white nationalism and you tried to turn focus away from that. We could be discussing that if you didn't rely on a straw man and a personal attack.
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Like I said your description on the text was a straw man as there are facts in it. And again, the perpectives and opinions pointed to the problem of white nationalism and you tried to turn focus away from that. We could be discussing that if you didn't rely on a straw man and a personal attack.
                Nothing stopped you from continuing on that track - but your actual actions don't support this line of reasoning.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You made a post where you offered someone else's opinion. That's even how you framed the post. That's why I said that when you don't have any facts you're stuck offering opinions instead

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You made a post where you offered someone else's opinion. That's even how you framed the post. That's why I said that when you don't have any facts you're stuck offering opinions instead
                    An opinion based on facts and good reasoning. You left that part out. It rather seems you try to ignore the facts and the impression they cause when you think about them. Claiming there are no facts rather gives the impression the facts do not speak in your favour. In this case it is rather obvious that they do not so I see what you try to get away from.

Comment