Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Smart TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Fire, and FireTV and FireTV Cube - those are all Amazon products, addressable through Alexa.

Since I wanted my Echo Dots to be different than my FireTV Cube, i chaged the wake name of the Cube from "Alexa" to "Computer".

Reminds me of the scene from one of the Star Trek movies where Scotty tries to talk to an Apple computer, and the engineer hands him the mouse --- Scotty then speaks to the mouse as though it were a microphone... "Computer...."

"A keyboard. How quaint." He must have *literally* been a "miracle" worker to get that image to come up so quickly with his index finger hunt-and-peck typing on an ancient OS.

According to Teh Interwebz, "transparent aluminum" has been sort of a reality since 2009.

But I recall reading an article, maybe in Science Digest, about some kind of aluminum-based glass even before ST4 appeared. I always assumed that was where they got the idea. But I've never been able to find anything about it online.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      "A keyboard. How quaint." He must have *literally* been a "miracle" worker to get that image to come up so quickly with his index finger hunt-and-peck typing on an ancient OS.

According to Teh Interwebz, "transparent aluminum" has been sort of a reality since 2009.

But I recall reading an article, maybe in Science Digest, about some kind of aluminum-based glass even before ST4 appeared. I always assumed that was where they got the idea. But I've never been able to find anything about it online.
      Yeah, and I had forgotten that it was any sort of Mac - I remembered it as a PC, and he was typing commands in DOS. When I saw the GUI, and his finger-pecking, I thought - wow, it's even dumber than I remembered!

I bet that's where Tim McGee learned to use computers!!!!!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I bet that's where Tim McGee learned to use computers!!!!!

It's like, on NCIS, where ANYBODY can walk over and pick up the clicker, point it at the TV, and magically and deliciously there is the picture of the suspect, all military records, current address.... click click... relatives, murder victims... click click... documents....

Now THAT is a SMART TV!!!!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's like, on NCIS, where ANYBODY can walk over and pick up the clicker, point it at the TV, and magically and deliciously there is the picture of the suspect, all military records, current address.... click click... relatives, murder victims... click click... documents....

Now THAT is a SMART TV!!!!

Comment

Hey, would this work? I have a roku I think just needs a reset (still have the instructions - thanks again, Sparky) - if I buy a regular TV and this, would that let me watch discs, stream YouTube/websites and watch some TV shows/movies?
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Hey, would this work? I have a roku I think just needs a reset (still have the instructions - thanks again, Sparky) - if I buy a regular TV and this, would that let me watch discs, stream YouTube/websites and watch some TV shows/movies?
              It doesn't appear to give you access to Prime content, but if you don't have Amazon Prime (and don't intend to get it) that shouldn't be a major concern.

My biggest concern with this is that it's pretty much a proprietary device that may or may not be supported in the future. LG is good stuff, but I just wonder how big this particular unit will go over, justifying future R&D and support.

Comment

It doesn't appear to give you access to Prime content, but if you don't have Amazon Prime (and don't intend to get it) that shouldn't be a major concern.

My biggest concern with this is that it's pretty much a proprietary device that may or may not be supported in the future. LG is good stuff, but I just wonder how big this particular unit will go over, justifying future R&D and support.
                Also, it appears to have more "1 star" ratings than "5 star", gaining only a 2 /12 star overall rating. I'd read some of the negative reviews.

Comment

Also, it appears to have more "1 star" ratings than "5 star", gaining only a 2 /12 star overall rating. I'd read some of the negative reviews.
                  Okay, I'll check it out more.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Hmm, looks like it's hit or miss with the reviews. I will look into other, similar devices - it doesn't sound like this one quite does what I want when it does work.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Hmm, looks like it's hit or miss with the reviews. I will look into other, similar devices - it doesn't sound like this one quite does what I want when it does work.
                      Yeah, the other thing is that DVD's are going the way of the 8-Track tape, so you'd have a technology based on an obsolete frame.

Comment

Yeah, the other thing is that DVD's are going the way of the 8-Track tape, so you'd have a technology based on an obsolete frame.
                        Yeah, but I still have DVDs I want to be able to play.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Yeah, but I still have DVDs I want to be able to play.
                          I still have stuff on VHS. Lots of stuff.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We may have the existing roku and flat screen working - I'll buy a remote tomorrow and we'll see if the reset worked...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

If you have a Roku you don’t need a streaming Blu-ray player or a chrome cast. Just get a basic Blu-ray player

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                If you have a Roku you don’t need a streaming Blu-ray player or a chrome cast. Just get a basic Blu-ray player
                                We're going to get a remote and see if we can get the old TV in the other room, the existing DVD player and the Roku working, preferably together - in which case I won't need anything until I'm ready to upgrade in a few years.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment