Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smart TV

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I have that TCL Roku TV
    Itís nice but the picture isnít that good. The colors look flat and a bit washed out.

I agree with CP
    You are better off with a non-smart TV and just plugging in an external box like a Roku box or Fire TV- then you can always replace it if you need to. Eventually the TV will stop updating its apps as it gets older and the manufacturer decides it is ď obsoleteĒ ó and then you will just have a non-smart TV anyway
    Kinda like the fancy navigation that comes with a new car --- by the time they developed that technology, R&D, built it, installed it in the new vehicle - the new vehicle went into production, shipped to a dealer, sat on a lot, then you get it and the technology may be a year or three old. Whereas your iPhone can have the absolute "updated last night" technology for GPS/navi.
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

2. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's not that I disagree - it's that it will be an extra month or two if I go that route. As of right now, I am not planning on getting more than one TV for several years.

And I'm planning to eventually replace the one I do get with a much larger one in several years - the added expense would make more sense then.
    Last edited by Teallaura; 11-17-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I have that TCL Roku TV
    Itís nice but the picture isnít that good. The colors look flat and a bit washed out.

I agree with CP
    You are better off with a non-smart TV and just plugging in an external box like a Roku box or Fire TV- then you can always replace it if you need to. Eventually the TV will stop updating its apps as it gets older and the manufacturer decides it is ď obsoleteĒ ó and then you will just have a non-smart TV anyway
    Would it be able to work with the Roku box then?

Also, is Fire an Apple product?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Would it be able to work with the Roku box then?

Also, is Fire an Apple product?
    Fire, and FireTV and FireTV Cube - those are all Amazon products, addressable through Alexa.

Since I wanted my Echo Dots to be different than my FireTV Cube, i chaged the wake name of the Cube from "Alexa" to "Computer".

Reminds me of the scene from one of the Star Trek movies where Scotty tries to talk to an Apple computer, and the engineer hands him the mouse --- Scotty then speaks to the mouse as though it were a microphone... "Computer...."

6. Amen The Melody Maker, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Star Trek IV - one of my most favorite movies ever.

Cool! I thought Alexa was Apple.

Hmmm...

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Fire, and FireTV and FireTV Cube - those are all Amazon products, addressable through Alexa.

Since I wanted my Echo Dots to be different than my FireTV Cube, i chaged the wake name of the Cube from "Alexa" to "Computer".

Reminds me of the scene from one of the Star Trek movies where Scotty tries to talk to an Apple computer, and the engineer hands him the mouse --- Scotty then speaks to the mouse as though it were a microphone... "Computer...."

"A keyboard. How quaint." He must have *literally* been a "miracle" worker to get that image to come up so quickly with his index finger hunt-and-peck typing on an ancient OS.

According to Teh Interwebz, "transparent aluminum" has been sort of a reality since 2009.

But I recall reading an article, maybe in Science Digest, about some kind of aluminum-based glass even before ST4 appeared. I always assumed that was where they got the idea. But I've never been able to find anything about it online.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

9. Amen Cow Poke, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    "A keyboard. How quaint." He must have *literally* been a "miracle" worker to get that image to come up so quickly with his index finger hunt-and-peck typing on an ancient OS.

According to Teh Interwebz, "transparent aluminum" has been sort of a reality since 2009.

But I recall reading an article, maybe in Science Digest, about some kind of aluminum-based glass even before ST4 appeared. I always assumed that was where they got the idea. But I've never been able to find anything about it online.
    Yeah, and I had forgotten that it was any sort of Mac - I remembered it as a PC, and he was typing commands in DOS. When I saw the GUI, and his finger-pecking, I thought - wow, it's even dumber than I remembered!

I bet that's where Tim McGee learned to use computers!!!!!

11. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I bet that's where Tim McGee learned to use computers!!!!!

It's like, on NCIS, where ANYBODY can walk over and pick up the clicker, point it at the TV, and magically and deliciously there is the picture of the suspect, all military records, current address.... click click... relatives, murder victims... click click... documents....

Now THAT is a SMART TV!!!!

13. Amen NorrinRadd, Sparko, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's like, on NCIS, where ANYBODY can walk over and pick up the clicker, point it at the TV, and magically and deliciously there is the picture of the suspect, all military records, current address.... click click... relatives, murder victims... click click... documents....

Now THAT is a SMART TV!!!!

15. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hey, would this work? I have a roku I think just needs a reset (still have the instructions - thanks again, Sparky) - if I buy a regular TV and this, would that let me watch discs, stream YouTube/websites and watch some TV shows/movies?