Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Smart TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart TV

So, what do I look for?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

I've done the SmartTV thing, but then I finally settled on the FireTV Cube. To me, it's been a lot of fun. I just tell it "Computer, turn on TV - Find ABC 13 on Hulu"...

Since the TV is a major expense, as soon as you buy it, you are locked into that technology, whatever it is. The Cube is hooked up to it by HDMI, and it doesn't really matter what TV you have.

I actually have my Cube feeding into an HDMI splitter which goes to my living room, home office, shop, garage --- so whatever I'm watching can be seen wherever I go. If I'm watching Rachel in the living room, and wanna go to the garage for a bit, I can keep watching her, spellbound, and stay informed on world events.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I've done the SmartTV thing, but then I finally settled on the FireTV Cube. To me, it's been a lot of fun. I just tell it "Computer, turn on TV - Find ABC 13 on Hulu"...

Since the TV is a major expense, as soon as you buy it, you are locked into that technology, whatever it is. The Cube is hooked up to it by HDMI, and it doesn't really matter what TV you have.

I actually have my Cube feeding into an HDMI splitter which goes to my living room, home office, shop, garage --- so whatever I'm watching can be seen wherever I go. If I'm watching Rachel in the living room, and wanna go to the garage for a bit, I can keep watching her, spellbound, and stay informed on world events.

Is it from Apple? I can't tell from the Amazon page.

My car is in the shop so I think, assuming car isn't so expensive that I need to hold off, I'll just get a smart TV for now since I'll only have the one and don't want Alexa.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Is it from Apple? I can't tell from the Amazon page.

My car is in the shop so I think, assuming car isn't so expensive that I need to hold off, I'll just get a smart TV for now since I'll only have the one and don't want Alexa.
        OK, so then you go to resolution and all that -- 4K and all kinds of stuff, but I'm an old guy - none of that matters to me cause I can see that "fine" anyway.

And, SmartTVs are pretty much the same. I have two - a RokuTV which has all the Netflix and other stuff, and a Samsung. I like the Samsung because you can operate it fully from an iPhone or iPad.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think this is getting put off until next year...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I think this is getting put off until next year...
            Walmart has a decent RokuTV, 32" for $129.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...head=roku%20tv

roku tv.jpg

Comment

Walmart has a decent RokuTV, 32" for $129.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...head=roku%20tv

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40902[/ATTACH]
              Cool - we'll see how badly my bank account hates me next month.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Cool - we'll see how badly my bank account hates me next month.
                It's pretty cool because you can use Netflix, Sling, Hulu, Vudu.... and all kinds of other apps on it, and many of those are controlled right from the handy dandy remote.

2019-11-16 19.51.51.jpg

Comment

It's pretty cool because you can use Netflix, Sling, Hulu, Vudu.... and all kinds of other apps on it, and many of those are controlled right from the handy dandy remote.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40904[/ATTACH]
                  Car needs new engine... Can't buy new toy...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I have that TCL Roku TV
                    It’s nice but the picture isn’t that good. The colors look flat and a bit washed out.

I agree with CP
                    You are better off with a non-smart TV and just plugging in an external box like a Roku box or Fire TV- then you can always replace it if you need to. Eventually the TV will stop updating its apps as it gets older and the manufacturer decides it is “ obsolete” — and then you will just have a non-smart TV anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I have that TCL Roku TV
                      It’s nice but the picture isn’t that good. The colors look flat and a bit washed out.

I agree with CP
                      You are better off with a non-smart TV and just plugging in an external box like a Roku box or Fire TV- then you can always replace it if you need to. Eventually the TV will stop updating its apps as it gets older and the manufacturer decides it is “ obsolete” — and then you will just have a non-smart TV anyway
                      Kinda like the fancy navigation that comes with a new car --- by the time they developed that technology, R&D, built it, installed it in the new vehicle - the new vehicle went into production, shipped to a dealer, sat on a lot, then you get it and the technology may be a year or three old. Whereas your iPhone can have the absolute "updated last night" technology for GPS/navi.

Comment

It's not that I disagree - it's that it will be an extra month or two if I go that route. As of right now, I am not planning on getting more than one TV for several years.

And I'm planning to eventually replace the one I do get with a much larger one in several years - the added expense would make more sense then.
                        Last edited by Teallaura; 11-17-2019, 09:12 AM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I have that TCL Roku TV

I agree with CP
                          Would it be able to work with the Roku box then?

Also, is Fire an Apple product?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Would it be able to work with the Roku box then?

Also, is Fire an Apple product?
                            Fire, and FireTV and FireTV Cube - those are all Amazon products, addressable through Alexa.

Since I wanted my Echo Dots to be different than my FireTV Cube, i chaged the wake name of the Cube from "Alexa" to "Computer".

Reminds me of the scene from one of the Star Trek movies where Scotty tries to talk to an Apple computer, and the engineer hands him the mouse --- Scotty then speaks to the mouse as though it were a microphone... "Computer...."

Comment

Star Trek IV - one of my most favorite movies ever.

Cool! I thought Alexa was Apple.

Hmmm...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment