Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump issues at least two pardons to service members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
    I find it strange how anyone can challenge the idea we possess souls. Talking about "rhetorical points" in this discussion is rather low.
    Atheists say we don't possess souls and that souls don't exist. Agnostics tend to be doubtful or unsure. So why would you say

I find it strange how anyone can challenge the idea we possess souls

unless you're trying to slip out from under the question.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Atheists say we don't possess souls and that souls don't exist. Agnostics tend to be doubtful or unsure. So why would you say

I find it strange how anyone can challenge the idea we possess souls

unless you're trying to slip out from under the question.
      Because it is my position and always has been. I have discussed it on tweb before. Agnostics are doubtful or unsure about the existence of god in some shape or form. They can hold all sort of views on whether we posses souls or not.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        I didn't say they couldn't invade but how many troop ships did they have, support ships? How man aircraft carriers? They had a piddling Navy. And how many from both sides would have died. I doubt very much if the Japanese would have surrender to Russian.

And I doubt that they would have won, or at least it would have been a long drawn out conflict with many more deaths.
        I can’t say I agree with Demi on this, allowing Russia to invade Japan would had turned Japan into a North and South Japan and allowed the Iron curtain to fall over half of Japan, the same way it did when we handed over Eastern Europe, to the Soviets.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          I can’t say I agree with Demi on this, allowing Russia to invade Japan would had turned Japan into a North and South Japan and allowed the Iron curtain to fall over half of Japan, the same way it did when we handed over Eastern Europe, to the Soviets.
          And there is that too...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• I don't know about the one facing murder charges. That seems a murky subject, basically because I don't have access to the relevant information to make any decisions about it.

The one who posed with a corpse seems to be a tempest in a teapot. Its shameful and disrespectful behavior and he deserves some criticism of the act. I don't know that he deserves legal punishment, and if he does I'd rather it be left with a military court.

Seer's argument for committing war crimes, because the other side does it, is bad the way it is stated. Other people being evil, does not give us permission or excuse to be evil. If some action is evil, in and of itself, we may not do it. Not even if good would come from it. This is, mind you, different from the freedom and leave we give the military to conduct their activities because this freedom is needed if they're going to act at all and not be hamstrung by too many rules. However, at the same time, we don't give the military infinite freedom.

The military, may not, for instance, deploy nukes as far as I understand without due cause. Say a large invasion army entering US borders or the imminent threat of a nuclear attack from another country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              Seer's argument for committing war crimes, because the other side does it, is bad the way it is stated. Other people being evil, does not give us permission or excuse to be evil. If some action is evil, in and of itself, we may not do it. Not even if good would come from it.
              What I'm saying Leonhard is that after what the Marines saw happen to their captured men at the hands of the Japanese in Guadalcanal (which lasted the rest of the war) their response was understandable. And they shouldn't have been prosecuted.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

What I'm saying Leonhard is that after what the Marines saw happen to their captured men at the hands of the Japanese in Guadalcanal (which lasted the rest of the war) their response was understandable. And they shouldn't have been prosecuted.
                No. There might be a case for mitigation and reduced capacity - but not for failing to prosecute. Especially since the case doesn't involve the known guilty.

It's the equivalent of finding your wife in bed with a plumber then shooting a bunch of plumbers.

The guys that liberated the concentration camps didn't get to go shoot German soldiers. Evil doesn't justify evil.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  No. There might be a case for mitigation and reduced capacity - but not for failing to prosecute. Especially since the case doesn't involve the known guilty.

It's the equivalent of finding your wife in bed with a plumber then shooting a bunch of plumbers.

The guys that liberated the concentration camps didn't get to go shoot German soldiers. Evil doesn't justify evil.
                  Well like I said what the Marines (and others) did was widely known and tacitly allowed by those in authority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane...lied_attitudes

Comment

Well like I said what the Marines (and others) did was widely known and tacitly allowed by those in authority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane...lied_attitudes
                    Doesn't make it right.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

And there is that too...
                      Being occupied, purely by the US, instead of by the western allies and the Soviet Union is likely why Japan is the economic and cultural power it is today. Look at the United Germany, even today, there’s still a major difference between the former East and West Germany and that will likely exist for another 20+ years.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Doesn't make it right.
                        My point is that when you put young men, many just teenagers, in such dangerous situations, and they go overboard you don't prosecute them. Especially when the enemy doesn't follow any standard rules of war.

Comment

My point is that when you put young men, many just teenagers, in such dangerous situations, and they go overboard you don't prosecute them. Especially when the enemy doesn't follow any standard rules of war.
                          We make allowances for mitigation but we do prosecute wrongdoing.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

We make allowances for mitigation but we do prosecute wrongdoing.
                            Perhaps if we found our buddy disemboweled while being a Japanese prisoner we would feel differently.

Comment

Perhaps if we found our buddy disemboweled while being a Japanese prisoner we would feel differently.
                              Wanted to die at age EIGHT. First thought on hearing the news about Columbine "what took so long?" Bullied so badly that a senior kicking me hard enough to leave a worse bruise than my pony ever did didn't strike me as important enough to report (when my Mom saw the bruise she wanted to have the kid arrested). Learned to hate at an age where few kids do or can - and I do mean hate.

I understand exactly how school shooters feel - and how badly screwed up you have to be to get to that point - but I'm not going to pretend evil is justified no matter how bad things were.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You do when it's blatant murder, or when an officer orders others to murder unarmed people. If that were Isis soldiers murdering unarmed americans you'd recognise it as wrong and immoral. Once again your bias blinds you.

Comment