Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump issues at least two pardons to service members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    My main concern would be the non-combatants who are, in military terms, "collateral damage". If both sides could get their soldiers together away from the civilian population and nuke it out, that'd be different.
    When one side (Muslim extremists) has a long history of launching missiles from hospitals and schools and using ambulance to transport weapons I would not hold my breath.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      These men were tried and were found guilty of desecration, of murder, and of ordering murder. Stop making excuses for them. Trump is pardoning them for one reason and one reason only, he thinks it will benefit himself politically.
      Obama pardoned 64 individuals and commuted the sentence of 209 individuals (109 of whom faced life sentences). These included Chelsea Manning and Oscar López Rivera, enabling them to be released from prison on May 17, 2017.

Obama holds the record for the largest single-day use of the clemency power, granting 330 commutations on January 19, 2017, his last full day in office.[5][6] He also issued more commutations than the past 13 presidents combined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_Barack_Obama
      Obama pardons enemies of the US and you get upset when Trump pardons patriots! Twisted...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        I don't really know the answer to that. But we are talking about shooting combatants in POW camps and/or that are surrendering. And those are war crimes. I don't believe it is in anyone's best interests to ignore those rules of war. And just how exactly are you going to prosecute General X for using chemical weapons if we turn around and use them too. And exactly by what authority would we go in ad get rid of some nations chemical weapons supply if we did not not agree it was wrong to use them. And so on.
        You prosecute General X because you won the war. That is the way it works Jim, we fire bombed Tokyo which was a war crime. General Curtis LeMay, the general who ran the operations, knew that. But we won and turned around and tried Japanese for war crimes. Don't be pollyannaish Jim...

To quote LeMay: Killing Japanese didn't bother me very much at that time... I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal.... Every soldier thinks something of the moral aspects of what he is doing. But all war is immoral and if you let that bother you, you're not a good soldier.

You are advocating for anarchy. For the removal of what little restraint exists.
        I'm advocating victory.
        Last edited by seer; 11-19-2019, 06:50 AM.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          I'm advocating victory.
          At the cost of our souls, sadly. Not a price worth paying.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
            Think of a world dominated by the Stalinists, Maoists, Nazis or radical Muslims. Yes it is a price worth paying...

Comment

Do you even think we possess souls or is it nothing more than a word to you that can be employed in an attempt to score rhetorical points?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                It does seem a ridiculous posture. "We're going to kill you to take over you/defend ourselves, but we need to be gentlemen about it." But it helps the more conscientious soldiers live with themselves after the fighting.

Clearly the military was being unreasonably hamstrung by rules of engagement under Obama, and Trump is doing what he can to reverse some of the damage.
                Not really. War is necessary sometimes but we should resist the temptations to be completely given over to our base nature in the process. The excesses of war are well documented. Rape. Pillaging, rampant, senseless hatred and killing with no purpose other than to feed the carnal nature. The rules of war are meant to limit war to it's necessary purpose - to defend against those that would destroy us and take what we have.
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 11-19-2019, 07:30 AM.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Do you even think we possess souls or is it nothing more than a word to you that can be employed in an attempt to score rhetorical points?
                  I find it strange how anyone can challenge the idea we possess souls. Talking about "rhetorical points" in this discussion is rather low.
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Think of a world dominated by the Stalinists, Maoists, Nazis or radical Muslims. Yes it is a price worth paying...
                    It is worth paying with the price of our souls? In this post you have found it ok to use chemical weapons, you have supported your lack of limits pointing to how God told to kill children and the like. You are talking in favour of the lack of principle and decency and thus moving in the completely wrong direction and heading towards exactly what you claim to be against. And you even say it is worth paying with the price of our souls.... I have greater respect for those who actually find that principles worth living for are also worth dying.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Anyone else here think that if it had been a Democrat president who pardoned them that little jimmy and shuny would be leading the praises for his compassion and sense of justice?
                      That's what it boils down to -- Orange Man Bad!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's what it boils down to -- Orange Man Bad!
                        Based on your favorite assumptions on how others would have behaved in a different situation, yes. Based on actual facts, no.

Comment

Based on your favorite assumptions on how others would have behaved in a different situation, yes. Based on actual facts, no.
                          You are particularly nannyish this morning, Charles. Ate your Wheaties?

(yeah, I know... ad hom)
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You are particularly nannyish this morning, Charles. Ate your Wheaties?

(yeah, I know... ad hom)
                            So, you could not adress that point that your statement was based on assumptions only. Thanks for making it that obvious.

Comment

So, you could not adress that point that your statement was based on assumptions only. Thanks for making it that obvious.
                              Actually, I don't believe you deserve any serious response when all you do us run around the board nannying conservatives. You're a stooge, Charles. A clown. I don't take you seriously at all.

Comment

Actually, I don't believe you deserve any serious response when all you do us run around the board nannying conservatives. You're a stooge, Charles. A clown. I don't take you seriously at all.
                                I suggest you stop whining about people being non-civil in their discussions with you, CP.

Comment