Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump issues at least two pardons to service members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    You do when it's blatant murder, or when an officer orders others to murder unarmed people. If that were Isis soldiers murdering unarmed americans you'd recognise it as wrong and immoral. Once again your bias blinds you.
    You are grossly misrepresenting the situation.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      You are grossly misrepresenting the situation.
      These men were accused of murder and ordering murder by their own fellow soldiers, and they were tried and found guilty of that by a military court. You really don't need to defend Trump at every turn, CP.

Comment

These men were accused of murder and ordering murder by their own fellow soldiers, and they were tried and found guilty of that by a military court.
        In a military court (known as a tribunal) there can be an appeal, and a higher authority can set aside or diminish the sentence. It's part of the process, and at the top of the chain in charge of UCMJ is the Commander in Chief, whether you like him or not.

You really don't need to defend Trump at every turn, CP.
        This childish accusation aside, I'm defending the men who fought for our country, not Trump.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In a military court (known as a tribunal) there can be an appeal, and a higher authority can set aside or diminish the sentence. It's part of the process, and at the top of the chain in charge of UCMJ is the Commander in Chief, whether you like him or not.
          Not the argument. Nobody argued that Trump couldn't pardon them, obviously he can, but, the fact that he can, doesn't make it right, which was, I believe, your original question.

This childish accusation aside, I'm defending the men who fought for our country, not Trump.
          No, you're defending the men who fought for our country and who blatently murdered, and ordered others to murder, unarmed people. You had something to do with law at one time yourself, i think, no?

Comment

Not the argument.
            Sure.

Comment

• However, the New York Times quoted defence officials as saying that Mr Trump had been angered by reports that Mr Spencer had threatened to resign if the president intervened in the case.

Mr Trump tweeted on Sunday that he was not happy with how the Navy had handled Chief Gallagher's trial, and high costs in the Navy's contracting procedures.

"Therefore, Secretary of the Navy Richard Spencer's services have been terminated," he said, adding: "Eddie will retire peacefully with all of the honours that he has earned, including his Trident pin."

In his resignation letter to President Trump, Mr Spencer wrote: "The rule of law is what sets us apart from our adversaries. Good order and discipline is what has enabled our victory against foreign tyranny time and again."

"Unfortunately it has become apparent that in this respect, I no longer share the same understanding with the Commander in Chief who appointed me, in regards to the key principle of good order and discipline."

"I cannot in good conscience obey an order that I believe violates the sacred oath I took."

Comment

• But Fox supports him which means that Trump's base supports him and that's all that matters.
                Last edited by Tassman; 11-25-2019, 03:41 AM.

Comment

• The Fox News POTUS strikes again.

-WaPo

Comment

• For those who actually look at the background, instead of simply going ballistic "because Trump", there appears to have been quite a bit of internal politics involved with the prosecution, and, as I suspect, some rather unorthodox legal maneuvering by the prosecution.

But, I know... TRUMP!!!!!

Comment

For those who actually look at the background, instead of simply going ballistic "because Trump", there appears to have been quite a bit of internal politics involved with the prosecution, and, as I suspect, some rather unorthodox legal maneuvering by the prosecution.

But, I know... TRUMP!!!!!
                      This was their own fellow soldiers that turned them in, for murder, desecration of the dead bodies, and ordering murder. The military is responsible for dealing with that, not Trump, for what he believes to be a political benefit. But do keep defending the autocrat at every turn.

Comment

This was their own fellow soldiers that turned them in, for murder, desecration of the dead bodies, and ordering murder. The military is responsible for dealing with that, not Trump, for what he believes to be a political benefit. But do keep defending the autocrat at every turn.
                        There will be more coming out on this - and I bet you haven't read any of the transcripts or background... this is just another opportunity to "orange man bad". Never miss an opportunity fling poo just "because Trump", Jim.

Comment

There will be more coming out on this - and I bet you haven't read any of the transcripts or background... this is just another opportunity to "orange man bad". Never miss an opportunity fling poo just "because Trump", Jim.
                          Have you read the transcripts? If so, then why do you fail to support your point by pointing to the content? And what background are you refering to? Be specific, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            Have you read the transcripts?
                            I have, and background on them.

If so, then why do you fail to support your point by pointing to the content? And what background are you refering to? Be specific, please.
                            I'm getting it together. This is rather personal for me, as I'm still involved in some battles with UCMJ from my own service nearly 50 years after the fact.

Comment

• It is unfortunate that Richard Spencer, the former Navy Secretary, has the same name as Richard Spencer, the notorious neo-Nazi and white supremacist. Makes for hazardous googleing.

Comment

• Even Rudy gets a mention:
                                - WaPo

Comment