Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump issues at least two pardons to service members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'd already read that page. You're the one that said to let him keep his delusions...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      I'd already read that page. You're the one that said to let him keep his delusions...
      ooooops
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I just want to know if the pardons were written in Latin.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Source: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/11/ex-navy-secretary-richard-spencer-trump-doesnt-understand-military.html

Ex- Navy Secretary: Trump “Has Very Little Understanding of What it Means to Be in the Military”
          By DANIEL POLITI

Former Navy Secretary Richard Spencer, who was fired last weekend, harshly criticized President Donald Trump in an op-ed piece, blasting the commander in chief for getting involved in a case involving a Navy SEAL who had been accused of war crimes. Writing in the Washington Post, Spencer detailed just how much Trump tried to get involved in the review of Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher “almost from the start,” Spencer wrote. And then at every stage of the process, which was highly unusual.

“This was a shocking and unprecedented intervention in a low-level review,” Spencer wrote.
          “It was also a reminder that the president has very little understanding of what it means to be in the military, to fight ethically or to be governed by a uniform set of rules and practices.” Before the trial against Gallagher began, Trump got involved twice. Both times he called on Spencer to remove Gallagher from the Navy brig where he was being detained. Spencer tried to push back but Trump eventually ordered the transfer. “I came to believe that Trump’s interest in the case stemmed partly from the way the defendant’s lawyers and others had worked to keep it front and center in the media,” Spencer wrote.

Gallagher was eventually acquitted of all charges except for wrongfully posing for photographs with the body of a dead ISIS fighter. After the trial was over Gallagher voluntarily filed a request to retire and then the question was whether he would be able to keep his rank and if he would be able to retain his status as a SEAL. Spencer claims he asked Trump not to get involved, but the White House counsel made it clear the president would not back down. Trump then ordered Gallagher’s rank be restored and later tweeted that he would be keeping his Trident pin.

“I recognized that the tweet revealed the president’s intent,” Spencer wrote Wednesday. “But I did not believe it to be an official order, chiefly because every action taken by the president in the case so far had either been a verbal or written command.” Spencer then claims he tried to find a way to prevent Trump from getting involved from the peer-review board that would decide Gallagher’s fate as a SEAL. And he did so without briefing Defense Secretary Mark Esper. “That was, I see in retrospect, a mistake for which I am solely responsible,” he wrote.

Spencer ends the op-ed by praising the military and sending a message to U.S. allies: “Please bear with us as we move through this moment in time.”

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

And you have actual proof? Not Kevin Bacon style proof but the real thing? If so, link please.
            The daughters of a NY doctor who was a friend and tenent of Trumps racist daddy Fred claim that their father gave him the diagnosis, and Trump himself claims that a doctor, he can't remember the doctors name of course, provided that diagnosis to the military. Fact is he was the picture of health in college, active in many sports, getting 4 deferments for college and only came up with the bone spur excuse when he got out of college and was no longer elegible for college deferment. The bone spur deferment was for the short term, yet it lasted 4 years for Trump. He also admitted as much to his personal atty. Michael Cohen as he testified to under oath. Now when it comes to Trump I know you guys need to actually see the Exrays showing no bone spurs existed at the time, but this is the kind of thing one can only make a reasonable judgement on so that exempts you from doing so.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/12/26/politi...war/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              [cite=https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/11/ex-navy-secretary-richard-spencer-trump-doesnt-understand-military.html]

Ex- Navy Secretary: Trump “Has Very Little Understanding of What it Means to Be in the Military”
              Very few folks who either haven't been in the military, or had a close relative (as in parent or spouse) who was, do.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                The daughters of a NY doctor who was a friend and tenent of Trumps racist daddy Fred claim that their father gave him the diagnosis, and Trump himself claims that a doctor, he can't remember the doctors name of course, provided that diagnosis to the military. Fact is he was the picture of health in college, active in many sports, getting 4 deferments for college and only came up with the bone spur excuse when he got out of college and was no longer elegible for college deferment. The bone spur deferment was for the short term, yet it lasted 4 years for Trump. He also admitted as much to his personal atty. Michael Cohen as he testified to under oath. Now when it comes to Trump I know you guys need to actually see the Exrays showing no bone spurs existed at the time, but this is the kind of thing one can only make a reasonable judgement on so that exempts you from doing so.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/12/26/politi...war/index.html
                The daughters happen to remember that something like 50 years ago Donald Trump, who was a nobody back then, was given a phony deferment by their father. Riiiiight.

And you wonder why even the reliably liberal Snopes has called B.S. on this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Trump received college deferments for Viet-nam. Out of college, he was initially classified for eligibility until his physical when he was reclassified for 'only if national emergency or war' which was later converted to 4F when they ditched that classification.

He didn't move to Canada or shoot his own foot so no, he's not a draft dodger.
                  Similar to my grandfather too. He wasn’t drafted for college deferment, than because he was married, than because he had one kid, than because he had two, and finally the war was over. Being deferred doesn’t make someone a ‘draft dodger’, so it is odd to watch democrats make such obvious false accusations.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    How about if his daddy paid off the doctor to lie for him, because that's what he did.
                    Evidence?
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Source: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/11/ex-navy-secretary-richard-spencer-trump-doesnt-understand-military.html

By DANIEL POLITI

Former Navy Secretary Richard Spencer, who was fired last weekend, harshly criticized President Donald Trump in an op-ed piece, blasting the commander in chief for getting involved in a case involving a Navy SEAL who had been accused of war crimes. Writing in the Washington Post, Spencer detailed just how much Trump tried to get involved in the review of Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher “almost from the start,” Spencer wrote. And then at every stage of the process, which was highly unusual.

“This was a shocking and unprecedented intervention in a low-level review,” Spencer wrote.
                      “It was also a reminder that the president has very little understanding of what it means to be in the military, to fight ethically or to be governed by a uniform set of rules and practices.” Before the trial against Gallagher began, Trump got involved twice. Both times he called on Spencer to remove Gallagher from the Navy brig where he was being detained. Spencer tried to push back but Trump eventually ordered the transfer. “I came to believe that Trump’s interest in the case stemmed partly from the way the defendant’s lawyers and others had worked to keep it front and center in the media,” Spencer wrote.

Gallagher was eventually acquitted of all charges except for wrongfully posing for photographs with the body of a dead ISIS fighter. After the trial was over Gallagher voluntarily filed a request to retire and then the question was whether he would be able to keep his rank and if he would be able to retain his status as a SEAL. Spencer claims he asked Trump not to get involved, but the White House counsel made it clear the president would not back down. Trump then ordered Gallagher’s rank be restored and later tweeted that he would be keeping his Trident pin.

“I recognized that the tweet revealed the president’s intent,” Spencer wrote Wednesday. “But I did not believe it to be an official order, chiefly because every action taken by the president in the case so far had either been a verbal or written command.” Spencer then claims he tried to find a way to prevent Trump from getting involved from the peer-review board that would decide Gallagher’s fate as a SEAL. And he did so without briefing Defense Secretary Mark Esper. “That was, I see in retrospect, a mistake for which I am solely responsible,” he wrote.

Spencer ends the op-ed by praising the military and sending a message to U.S. allies: “Please bear with us as we move through this moment in time.”

© Copyright Original Source

I like how the left, who spent years calling us war criminals, voted for an actual draft dodger twice, and kept John Kerry in politics, despite his total story change for what he did with his service medals, suddenly thinks they know what it means to be in uniform. Tell me another good one.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

[cite=https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/11/ex-navy-secretary-richard-spencer-trump-doesnt-understand-military.html]

By DANIEL POLITI
                        So Obama pardons a traitor, Manning, and you people get upset because Trump pardons an actual heroic war fighter... I guess Obama had very little understanding of what it means to be in the Military....
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Very few folks who either haven't been in the military, or had a close relative (as in parent or spouse) who was, do.
                          Disagree, especially from the perspective of a draft dodger who decided to judge and jury over the authority of the Military Courts.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            I just want to know if the pardons were written in Latin.
                            The pardons for the Turkeys? Those, most assuredly, would be written in Turkish.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                              So Obama pardons a traitor, Manning, and you people get upset because Trump pardons an actual heroic war fighter... I guess Obama had very little understanding of what it means to be in the Military....
                              Manning came with gender issues - the left must genuflect.

Comment

Disagree, especially from the perspective of a draft dodger who decided to judge and jury over the authority of the Military Courts.
                                Like Obama did with Manning? And BTW idiot - Trump is Commander and Chief of the Military, he is the AUTHORITY.
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment