Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump issues at least two pardons to service members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Of course the family members are grateful, what a silly argument for a pardon. They are convicted murderers, pardoned only because they are military, for political reasons. That's how Trump operates.
    For someone who thinks that allowing second and third hand gossip hearsay as valid evidence I probably shouldn't be surprised that prohibiting exculpatory evidence at the trial is okay as well. And as for "They are convicted murderers" I guess you missed that Gallagher was acquitted on the murder charge.

Oops.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Linky?
      Let me track down the original source.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Linky?
        Okay, I've just read a few things indicating that Yovanovitch got nailed by Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY) over her testimony that the issue of "Burisma or Hunter Biden" was never brought up to her by "the previous administration"

It appears that in an earlier sworn deposition she had testified that during her prepping for her Congressional confirmation hearing that the Obama State Department coached her not just on her answers concerning Burisma and corruption in general but specifically about Hunter Biden and Burisma.

Yovanovitch conceded that she had indeed testified that this was the case directly contradicting her statement that "neither [Joe Biden] nor the previous administration ever raised the issue of either Burisma or Hunter Biden with me."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Yes, I know the details,
          Please forgive me if I find this doubtful.

and yes the trials were carried out with due process and accepted military legal procedures.
          It is not at all unusual that "due process" is carried out, and on appeal, a civilian trial has totally different results. Same can happen in military trials.

I believe he should let the military system of justice be accepted and follow the legal course based on the Uniform Code of Military Justice in the military.
          Trump, as CinC, is the ultimate authority over the UCMJ.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Okay, I've just read a few things indicating that Yovanovitch got nailed by Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY) over her testimony that the issue of "Burisma or Hunter Biden" was never brought up to her by "the previous administration"

It appears that in an earlier sworn deposition she had testified that during her prepping for her Congressional confirmation hearing that the Obama State Department coached her not just on her answers concerning Burisma and corruption in general but specifically about Hunter Biden and Burisma.

Yovanovitch conceded that she had indeed testified that this was the case directly contradicting her statement that "neither [Joe Biden] nor the previous administration ever raised the issue of either Burisma or Hunter Biden with me."
            Yep, that was it (one of them). Sorry, I had a second hand link but not the primary - and my afternoon was already spoken for.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Yes, I know the details, and yes the trials were carried out with due process and accepted military legal procedures. I believe he should let the military system of justice be accepted and follow the legal course based on the Uniform Code of Military Justice in the military.
              Most of these Jag officers who prosecute these warriors have no idea what combat is like. Back in WW2 they would have imprisoned half the Marie Corps because they would regularly shoot surrendering Japanese soldiers and Japanese prisoners.

American troops 'murdered Japanese PoWs'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...nese-PoWs.html
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Most of these Jag officers who prosecute these warriors have no idea what combat is like. Back in WW2 they would have imprisoned half the Marie Corps because they would regularly shoot surrendering Japanese soldiers and Japanese prisoners.

And your point is? Is it ok to shoot surrendering soldiers?
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

I don't think some of these people have a clue how the JAG corps actually works. These are often young people straight of law school who are granted a commission because of their doctorate in law, just like dentists and medical doctors are assigned an officer's rank with - often - ZERO experience in combat.

Just like civilian lawyers, a JAG lawyer is looking out for his W's. His/her record depends not on dispensing or advancing justice, but on winning a case.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And that would be illegal in this day and time - a war crime. The Geneva convention prohibits such actions. As do US military codes of conduct.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      And your point is? Is it ok to shoot surrendering soldiers?
                      Yep in certain cases, you need to read what the Japanese soldiers did to American captives, including cannibalism, using live Marines as bayonet practice, cutting of their genitals and a slew of other horrible things. Read "With the Old Breed" or "A Helmet For My Pillow." After what happen on Guadalcanal all bets were off.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Yep in certain cases, you need to read what the Japanese soldiers did to American captives, including cannibalism, using live Marines as bayonet practice, cutting of their genitals and a slew of other horrible things. Read "With the Old Breed" or "A Helmet For My Pillow." After what happen on Guadalcanal all bets were off.
                        I don't think one side violating these war crimes laws allows the other country to do the same. They would not be much use then, would they?
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          And that would be illegal in this day and time - a war crime. The Geneva convention prohibits such actions.
                          Except neither the Japanese nor radical Muslims follow the Geneva convention. And it was illegal back then too - but the higher ups know better than to bring charges against the Marines.

Comment

Except neither the Japanese nor radical Muslims follow the Geneva convention. And it was illegal back then too - but the higher ups know better than to bring charges against the Marines.
                            If no one follows or enforces the rules, what good are they?

Comment

I don't think one side violating these war crimes laws allows the other country to do the same. They would not be much use then, would they?
                              You don't think the firebombing of Tokyo (a largely civilian target) was a war crime? It would have been if we lost...

Comment

If no one follows or enforces the rules, what good are they?
                                What good are they when the enemy doesn't follow them?

Comment