Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump issues at least two pardons to service members

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Yes, I know the details, and yes the trials were carried out with due process and accepted military legal procedures. I believe he should let the military system of justice be accepted and follow the legal course based on the Uniform Code of Military Justice in the military.
    Most of these Jag officers who prosecute these warriors have no idea what combat is like. Back in WW2 they would have imprisoned half the Marie Corps because they would regularly shoot surrendering Japanese soldiers and Japanese prisoners.

American troops 'murdered Japanese PoWs'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...nese-PoWs.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

2. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Most of these Jag officers who prosecute these warriors have no idea what combat is like. Back in WW2 they would have imprisoned half the Marie Corps because they would regularly shoot surrendering Japanese soldiers and Japanese prisoners.

And your point is? Is it ok to shoot surrendering soldiers?
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

I don't think some of these people have a clue how the JAG corps actually works. These are often young people straight of law school who are granted a commission because of their doctorate in law, just like dentists and medical doctors are assigned an officer's rank with - often - ZERO experience in combat.

Just like civilian lawyers, a JAG lawyer is looking out for his W's. His/her record depends not on dispensing or advancing justice, but on winning a case.
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

5. Amen NorrinRadd, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

And that would be illegal in this day and time - a war crime. The Geneva convention prohibits such actions. As do US military codes of conduct.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    And your point is? Is it ok to shoot surrendering soldiers?
    Yep in certain cases, you need to read what the Japanese soldiers did to American captives, including cannibalism, using live Marines as bayonet practice, cutting of their genitals and a slew of other horrible things. Read "With the Old Breed" or "A Helmet For My Pillow." After what happen on Guadalcanal all bets were off.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

8. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yep in certain cases, you need to read what the Japanese soldiers did to American captives, including cannibalism, using live Marines as bayonet practice, cutting of their genitals and a slew of other horrible things. Read "With the Old Breed" or "A Helmet For My Pillow." After what happen on Guadalcanal all bets were off.
    I don't think one side violating these war crimes laws allows the other country to do the same. They would not be much use then, would they?
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    And that would be illegal in this day and time - a war crime. The Geneva convention prohibits such actions.
    Except neither the Japanese nor radical Muslims follow the Geneva convention. And it was illegal back then too - but the higher ups know better than to bring charges against the Marines.

11. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Except neither the Japanese nor radical Muslims follow the Geneva convention. And it was illegal back then too - but the higher ups know better than to bring charges against the Marines.
    If no one follows or enforces the rules, what good are they?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't think one side violating these war crimes laws allows the other country to do the same. They would not be much use then, would they?
    You don't think the firebombing of Tokyo (a largely civilian target) was a war crime? It would have been if we lost...

14. Amen alaskazimm, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If no one follows or enforces the rules, what good are they?
    What good are they when the enemy doesn't follow them?