Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dem. Congressman says party's impeachment investigation is "fracturing the nation"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And I think he will have this impeachment sham to thank, at least in part.
    For many voters come election day they'll think, what has Trump done for us, and think about things like a booming economy, record low unemployment rates, renegotiated trade deals etc. Then they'll think about what the Democrats have provided and think about impeachment, impeachment, impeachment etc.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      For many voters come election day they'll think, what has Trump done for us, and think about things like a booming economy, record low unemployment rates, renegotiated trade deals etc. Then they'll think about what the Democrats have provided and think about impeachment, impeachment, impeachment etc.
      And he did all that while the Democrats were doing everything in their power to OBSTRUCT him!

(For some strange reason it reminded me of Ginger Rogers doing everything Fred Astaire did, only backward and in high heels)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Here is something that I'll bet only gets, at best, a bare mention by the MSM. A Democrat Congressman, Jeff Van Drew from New Jersey is calling out his party saying that their impeachment circus is "fracturing" our country

Source: Democrat against impeachment calls out party for 'fracturing the nation' with investigation

Democratic New Jersey Rep. Jeff Van Drew attacked his own party for the current impeachment investigation going on in the House of Representatives, during an interview on Sunday Morning Futures With Maria Bartiromo.

Van Drew, who was one of two Democrats to vote against the impeachment proceedings last month, remained critical of party leadership's decisions on the investigation into President Trump's discussions with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

"I just think we'll keep going down this road, keep spending more time. Many of us came to Congress because we really wanted to accomplish goals, really work on issues such as healthcare, work on issues dealing with prescription drugs, election security, the debt, the deficit — the list goes on," Van Drew explained.

He went on to point out that people should "understand the importance" of impeachment and added that no president has been impeached and convicted in the Senate.

"We're going to have an election next year, let's have the election, let's fight through the election, let's do what Republicans and Democrats and whomever else does, but this is going to get us nowhere. We've spent millions of dollars, in my opinion, tons of money, tons of time, tons of hurt, fracturing the nation apart. I haven't seen this to be a good thing," Van Drew concluded.

The House Intelligence Committee began public hearings last week with the testimonies of George Kent, the deputy assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian affairs; William Taylor, the top diplomat in Ukraine; and Marie Yovanovitch, the former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Democrat!

Comment

So, what about this statement?

It has shaken me that we stand at the brink of removing a President — not because of a popular groundswell to remove him and not because of the magnitude of the wrongs he’s committed — but because conditions in early 21st century America have made it possible for a small group of people who hate Donald Trump and hate his policies to very cleverly and very doggedly exploit the institutions of freedom that we hold dear and almost succeed in undoing him.

Most troubling to me are the conditions that allowed this to happen, than the small group who precipitated them.

The small group is not the House Managers or particular officeholders of the Democrat party.

It is the small group of lawyers and zealots who decided that they would invest time and money to exploit a personal weakness that people knew the President had, find a case to air it publicly, investigate the President’s life to the point of obsession, and use it to bring him down.

Doesn't that describe what's happening today?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, what about this statement?

It has shaken me that we stand at the brink of removing a President — not because of a popular groundswell to remove him and not because of the magnitude of the wrongs he’s committed — but because conditions in early 21st century America have made it possible for a small group of people who hate Donald Trump and hate his policies to very cleverly and very doggedly exploit the institutions of freedom that we hold dear and almost succeed in undoing him.

Most troubling to me are the conditions that allowed this to happen, than the small group who precipitated them.

The small group is not the House Managers or particular officeholders of the Democrat party.

It is the small group of lawyers and zealots who decided that they would invest time and money to exploit a personal weakness that people knew the President had, find a case to air it publicly, investigate the President’s life to the point of obsession, and use it to bring him down.

Doesn't that describe what's happening today?
            Not really since the move to remove trump is based on the magnitude of the wrongs he has committed.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
              Not really since the move to remove trump is based on the magnitude of the wrongs he has committed.
              Yuh....

Comment

This is often a step on the journey to realizing that "the party" has left the politician.
                Trump loves him.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

The fracture was well under way before Trump was elected.
                  Yeah, with the 'no compromise' extreme right wing evangelical club in Congress.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    Well Trump has given them what they want regarding a conservative judiciary that may well overturn RvW and LGBT rights. This is all that matters to this lot - power at any cost.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Well Trump has given them what they want regarding a conservative judiciary that may well overturn RvW and LGBT rights. This is all that matters to this lot - power at any cost.
                      Does it make you feel good to babble dishonest foolishness?

Comment

Does it make you feel good to babble dishonest foolishness?
                        Ya think? Trump knows that his Christian conservative base can be bought and this is cynically just what he's done.

"Trump was staunchly pro-choice until he sought to become President Donald Trump. From that moment on, a centerpiece of his campaign was a promise to do whatever he could to ensure that the 1973 supreme court’s landmark decision in Roe v Wade that guaranteed a woman’s right to an abortion would be overturned. He has kept his promise and his base loves him for it. He undoubtedly believes that his strong and now unwavering anti-abortion stance will go a long way to ensuring his re-election in 2020".

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e-court-judges
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Ya think?
                          I do.

Trump knows that his Christian conservative base can be bought and this is cynically just what he's done.
                          We're using him. But don't tell him - he doesn't know it.

Comment

We're using him. But don't tell him - he doesn't know it.
                            Actually Trump is using you and he knows exactly how to manipulate the Christian right.

Comment

Actually Trump is using you and he knows exactly how to manipulate the Christian right.
                              Yeah, keep believin' that, Tassy. I didn't know the LiberalTalkingPointsForDummies made it all the way to your little world, but I guess, in this modern age of technology...

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                It was the Democrats who spurred all attempts at cooperation and bipartisanship after the Obamessiah was elected when he infamously sneered "elections have consequences" (his consigliere Rahm Emanuel put it in much starker terms) and repeatedly told them to go to the back of the bus.

After Republicans swept into power in the House in 2010 Obama had to ask staffers for the phone numbers for their leadership since he never bothered to call them in the previous two years.

Smiley squirrel.gif XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX NATIONAL SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY!! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Smiley squirrel.gif
                                Last edited by rogue06; 01-21-2020, 02:36 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment