Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Hunt Down "Auto Renew" and turn it off!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunt Down "Auto Renew" and turn it off!!!

I've learned the hard way.

I sign up for a bunch of stuff to try it out (or at least I did when I was doing a lot of computer consulting) and they always seem to have an "auto renew" button somewhere that is "checked" by default.

I'm learning to hunt those things down and uncheck them, so they have to bug me to death for renewal, which I will do at the very last possible moment if I want to.

Also, by NOT auto-renewing, you usually get some special offer like "3 months free" or "40% off".

I love not auto-renewing.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

And there's a reason for "auto renew".

It's all about "revenue stream".

If you have "auto renew" turned on, it allows the company to count you as "future revenue" for forecasting and other metrics, and is very valuable to them for company valuation, stock performance, etc.

I want them to have to work for my money, not take me for granted.

Currently, I use Snagit. I LOVE snagit. Been using it for a bunch of years. But whenever it comes time to renew, I drag my feet, allow my subscription to 'expire', and invariably get some wonderful deal like the "3 months free" or "60% off".

It's almost like calling the "customer retention" department of AT&T and threatening to jump ship, and they give you a better deal for staying on!

Yeah, it's an Adrenalin rush, of sorts.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And there's a reason for "auto renew".

It's all about "revenue stream".

If you have "auto renew" turned on, it allows the company to count you as "future revenue" for forecasting and other metrics, and is very valuable to them for company valuation, stock performance, etc.

I want them to have to work for my money, not take me for granted.

Currently, I use Snagit. I LOVE snagit. Been using it for a bunch of years. But whenever it comes time to renew, I drag my feet, allow my subscription to 'expire', and invariably get some wonderful deal like the "3 months free" or "60% off".

It's almost like calling the "customer retention" department of AT&T and threatening to jump ship, and they give you a better deal for staying on!

Yeah, it's an Adrenalin rush, of sorts.
      Probably dopamine.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment