Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Second Amendment Sanctuary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Which two would that be?
    O'Rourke and Warren.
    Now, is that any way to talk about your fellow Alabamians?
    The idiots who shot at me? Heck yeah. I can't use the right word for the one that killed a neighbor.

The existence of idiots is universal. It's moronic to think that your group doesn't have any.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      O'Rourke and Warren.
      No, they didn't advocate for the abolition of guns, Tea. They advocated for regulations including the banning of specific military assault weapons which are the ones used in all of these mass shootings.
      The idiots who shot at me? Heck yeah. I can't use the right word for the one that killed a neighbor.

The existence of idiots is universal. It's moronic to think that your group doesn't have any.
      Just pulling your chain, Tea.

Comment

No, they didn't advocate for the abolition of guns, Tea. They advocated for regulations including the banning of specific military assault weapons which are the ones used in all of these mass shootings.
        No, O'Rourke was blatant.

Just pulling your chain, Tea.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

No, O'Rourke was blatant.
          Blatant about banning the sale and ownership of military style assualt weapons, yes, but not about abolishing all guns.

Comment

Really, do you mean to tell me that they are threatening to enforce gun laws, OH MY!
            unconstitutional gun laws trying to take guns away from law abiding citizens. Something you denied was happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              If it turns out that autopiloted cars are significantly safer than people driving cars, I'd argue its a moral imperative that cars be driven on autopilot in most places (especially those with high frequencies of car accidents).

It is, however, always a balance between freedom and safety. Sometimes due to practical concerns we accept some risks. Traffic is one of the greatest examples of that. Its rather dangerous, but the practicality it lends in getting around is enough that people are willing to accept that risk.

How much risk we accept is an ongoing discussion. There's no blanket answer that can be given.
              have you notices that while they promised self-driving cars by 2020, we still don't have any? There are still way to many problems with them, especially when not on the highways.

Comment

O'Rourke and Warren.

You can usually spot the partisan hack when they pretend their opponents are barely literate idiots and all their ideological peers are always smart and honest.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Right no one is trying to take our guns away.

Dems Warn Virginia Sheriffs Refusing To Enforce Gun-Control Laws: We’ll Send In The National Guard

Democratic congressmen from Virginia are threatening sheriffs in their state who have warned they will not enforce harsh state-level gun laws that violate Second Amendment rights, suggesting they could be prosecuted if they are unwilling to resign, that their sheriff’s office could lose funding, or most stridently, that the National Guard be called in to enforce the gun-control measures.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/dems-...ign=benshapiro
                  Universal background checks, banning military style assault weapons, and red flag laws are not unconstitutional. The right to bear arms is not unlimited. (Antonin Scalia)

Comment

Universal background checks, banning military style assault weapons, and red flag laws are not unconstitutional. The right to bear arms is not unlimited. (Antonin Scalia)
                    and:

Expands the definition of “assault firearm” and prohibits any person from importing, selling, transferring, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing, or transporting an assault firearm. A violation is a Class 6 felony. The bill prohibits a dealer from selling, renting, trading, or transferring from his inventory an assault firearm to any person. The bill also prohibits a person from carrying a shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered in a public place; under existing law, this prohibition applies only in certain localities. The bill makes it a Class 1 misdemeanor to import, sell, barter, or transfer any firearm magazine designed to hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

I see what you are doing JimL, you are playing word games because nobody has said they want to ban all guns. But that is their goal. They just do it a bit at a time, like boiling a frog. First banning "assault rifles" that are actually regular rifles. Then banning shotguns and clips that hold more than 10 rounds, then 7, then maybe one round [Biden: "The idea that we don’t have elimination of assault type weapons, magazines that can hold multiple bullets in them, it's absolutely mindless"]

JimL the second amendment says that the government shall not infringe on our right to bear arms. Period.

Comment

and:

Expands the definition of “assault firearm” and prohibits any person from importing, selling, transferring, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing, or transporting an assault firearm. A violation is a Class 6 felony. The bill prohibits a dealer from selling, renting, trading, or transferring from his inventory an assault firearm to any person. The bill also prohibits a person from carrying a shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered in a public place; under existing law, this prohibition applies only in certain localities. The bill makes it a Class 1 misdemeanor to import, sell, barter, or transfer any firearm magazine designed to hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

I see what you are doing JimL, you are playing word games because nobody has said they want to ban all guns. But that is their goal. They just do it a bit at a time, like boiling a frog. First banning "assault rifles" that are actually regular rifles. Then banning shotguns and clips that hold more than 10 rounds, then 7, then maybe one round [Biden: "The idea that we don’t have elimination of assault type weapons, magazines that can hold multiple bullets in them, it's absolutely mindless"]

JimL the second amendment says that the government shall not infringe on our right to bear arms. Period.
                      And what they meant by arms at the time was basically muskets. But the right is not unlimited, it's not limited to muskets, but the government can put limits, obviously, on the kind of arms that are legal to sell or own.

Comment

And what they meant by arms at the time was basically muskets. But the right is not unlimited, it's not limited to muskets, but the government can put limits, obviously, on the kind of arms that are legal to sell or own.
                        What they meant was weapons, JimL. They had muskets, pistols, cannons, and even machine guns back then. There are no qualifications in the 2nd amendment. Liberals seem to think that the founders lacked any sort of imagination or sense that weapons would improve and change as time went on. They weren't stupid, JimL. And the amendment specifically says the government CAN'T put limits on the right to bear arms. What do you think "shall not infringe" means?

Comment

What they meant was weapons, JimL. They had muskets, pistols, cannons, and even machine guns back then. There are no qualifications in the 2nd amendment. Liberals seem to think that the founders lacked any sort of imagination or sense that weapons would improve and change as time went on. They weren't stupid, JimL. And the amendment specifically says the government CAN'T put limits on the right to bear arms. What do you think "shall not infringe" means?
                          So, I guess it shouldn't be illegal to possess nuclear weapons either then, right. Do you think that's what the Founding fathers had in mind?

Comment

So, I guess it shouldn't be illegal to possess nuclear weapons either then, right. Do you think that's what the Founding fathers had in mind?

What does "shall not infringe" mean to you Jim?

Comment

have you notices that while they promised self-driving cars by 2020, we still don't have any? There are still way to many problems with them, especially when not on the highways.
                              I tend to be techno optimist and even I thought the 2020 date was a bit early. It does appear to be coming though. My first car very likely won't have class 5 full auto, but my second one probably will have at this rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                                I tend to be techno optimist and even I thought the 2020 date was a bit early. It does appear to be coming though. My first car very likely won't have class 5 full auto, but my second one probably will have at this rate.
                                I wonder how they will handle things like parking? If you give it a destination, will it be able to find parking for you, navigate parking garages (pay ones) etc? I am sure that there will still be a lot of manual driving involved for some time to come.

Comment