Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Second Amendment Sanctuary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Or.. we can understand that "arms" means "firearms" not "bombs"

How would you defend yourself personally using a nuclear bomb? You would kill yourself in the process.
    What about IEDs or grenades?
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
      Sounds like you're arguing for limitations, MM. Does the clause mention anything about "excepting arms that are an undue risk to the community?"
      It's similar to how the First Amendment does not protect defamation, or inciting a riot.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        It's similar to how the First Amendment does not protect defamation, or inciting a riot.
        So what are you saying, that there are limitations?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
          So what are you saying, that there are limitations?
          Only as very rare and strictly defined exceptions, and those should not be based solely on people's illegal behavior.

In other words, if a case can be made that a law abiding citizen should be allowed to wield a certain weapon, it makes no sense to ban that weapon just because someone might use it to commit a crime. Personally, I can not think of any good reason why a law abiding citizen should be allowed to have a nuclear weapon, so that would be an obvious exception.

Comment

Only as very rare and strictly defined exceptions, and those should not be based solely on people's illegal behavior.

In other words, if a case can be made that a law abiding citizen should be allowed to wield a certain weapon, it makes no sense to ban that weapon just because someone might use it to commit a crime. Personally, I can not think of any good reason why a law abiding citizen should be allowed to have a nuclear weapon, so that would be an obvious exception.
            "allowed" doesn't matter, MM. We are not "allowed" to bear arms. The constitution says we have the RIGHT to bear arms and they are not "allowed" to infringe on that right. JimL has convinced me that nuclear weapons are included. Except it is illegal for someone to own nuclear material like plutonium without a license or permit, so it would be difficult to have a nuclear bomb without that.

Comment

• Originally posted by [B
              Mountain Man;694003]Only as very rare and strictly defined exceptions,[/B] and those should not be based solely on people's illegal behavior.
              Rare and strictly defined exceptions according to who?
              You just lost your case, MM.

Comment

• Northam declares state of emergency, Capitol weapon ban ahead of gun rights rally

RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT/AP) - Fearing a repeat of the deadly violence that engulfed Charlottesville more than two years ago, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam declared a temporary emergency Wednesday banning all weapons, including guns, from Capitol Square ahead of a massive rally planned next week over gun rights.

The governor, a Democrat, announced the plans at a news conference Wednesday afternoon because of credible threats of potential violence and extremism, one official said.

“Let me be clear. These are considered credible threats by law enforcement agencies,” Gov. Ralph Northam said.

Northam’s announcement comes days after Democratic leaders used a special rules committee to ban guns inside the Capitol and a legislative office building. That ban did not include Capitol grounds, which are under the governor’s control and are where thousands of gun-rights advocates are expected to rally Monday.

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/01/15/ap-...pitol-grounds/
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Why is it that whenever a politician says "Let me be clear", it's almost always followed by a lie? It was one of Obama's favorite phrases.

Comment

Why is it that whenever a politician says "Let me be clear", it's almost always followed by a lie? It was one of Obama's favorite phrases.
                    Nixon liked it as well IIRC.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• It's starting to look a bit testy in Richmond. Supposedly this YT channel is going to live stream the gun rally on Monday.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        It's starting to look a bit testy in Richmond. Supposedly this YT channel is going to live stream the gun rally on Monday.
                        Looks like Antifa is marching with the gun rights folks. But with all this stuff with the KKK (The Base) it could get bad.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

When it comes to murder, or mass murder, everyone with a semiautomatic is a law abiding citizen, until one commits mass murder with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            When it comes to murder, or mass murder, everyone with a semiautomatic is a law abiding citizen, until one commits mass murder with it.
                            When it comes to murder, or mass murder, everyone with a truck is a law abiding citizen, until one commits mass murder with it.

When it comes to murder, or mass murder, everyone with a baseball bat is a law abiding citizen, until one commits mass murder with it.

When it comes to murder, or mass murder, everyone with a knife is a law abiding citizen, until one commits mass murder with it.

Ban trucks!
                            Ban baseball bats!
                            Ban knives!
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              When it comes to murder, or mass murder, everyone with a truck is a law abiding citizen, until one commits mass murder with it.

When it comes to murder, or mass murder, everyone with a baseball bat is a law abiding citizen, until one commits mass murder with it.

When it comes to murder, or mass murder, everyone with a knife is a law abiding citizen, until one commits mass murder with it.

Ban trucks!
                              Ban baseball bats!
                              Ban knives!
                              One doesn't commit mass murder with bats and knives, and in comparison to the use of semiautomatics, the use of vehicles are not as deadly, are rare, and vehicles/trucks are absolute necessities to commerce.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                One doesn't commit mass murder with bats and knives, and in comparison to the use of semiautomatics, the use of vehicles are not as deadly, are rare, and vehicles/trucks are absolute necessities to commerce.
                                Tell that to Germany, Spain, or Oklahoma. All places where trucks were used to kill lots of people. While your fear of semiautomatic weapons is interesting, I can assure you lever actions, pump actions, and bolt actions can be fired just as quickly with just as much deadly accuracy. I can fire them pretty fast and pretty accurate. It’s simply a matter of building up the muscle memory.

The best way to stop a mass killer is a good guy, armed, willing to take him out.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment