Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Second Amendment Sanctuary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I wonder how they will handle things like parking? If you give it a destination, will it be able to find parking for you, navigate parking garages (pay ones) etc? I am sure that there will still be a lot of manual driving involved for some time to come.
    Parking they do a lot more easily. That's not the big problem. And parking garages I don't foresee taking long before they have systems in place capable of accepting wireless pay, that's just an easy straightforward development.

I also don't foresee humans hand driving their vehicles becoming illegal, or even impossible in the near future. I do believe however that you would have a moral imperative to not drive your own car, if it was shown to be significantly safer for the car to drive on autopilot.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      I tend to be techno optimist and even I thought the 2020 date was a bit early. It does appear to be coming though. My first car very likely won't have class 5 full auto, but my second one probably will have at this rate.
      Interesting article https://www.firstthings.com/web-excl...rithm-religion

Quite a few ethic dilemmas, conundrums, could be gleaned from that article! (how would the programmer feel knowing he wrote the algorithm which was responsible for choosing his loved one to die?, does the programmer bear any guilt, etc)
      Last edited by simplicio; 12-16-2019, 04:10 PM.

Comment

What does "shall not infringe" mean to you Jim?
        The first point was the necessity of a well regulated militia, regulated being the key word. We no longer have militias, we have well regulated standing armies. And two, no one is infringing upon your right to bear arms since, like many people, i'm sure you legally possess them now. But the right is not unlimited as your favorite conservative defender of gun rights, Antonin Scalia, explained.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          The first point was the necessity of a well regulated militia, regulated being the key word. We no longer have militias, we have well regulated standing armies. And two, no one is infringing upon your right to bear arms since, like many people, i'm sure you legally possess them now. But the right is not unlimited as your favorite conservative defender of gun rights, Antonin Scalia, explained.
          Speaking of militias....

It begins: Virginia forms active militia to protect sheriffs, citizens from unconstitutional laws

Virginia – Earlier in the week, we reported on how lawmakers over in Virginia were threatening to use the National Guard if members of local law enforcement refused to enforce laws passed in the state that they felt violated the second amendment.

Well, looks like Tazewell County isn’t going down without a fight. On top of calling themselves a second amendment sanctuary county, they’re also crafting a militia as well. The Virginia county has taken the movement that has swept across the state and added an element that is sure to trigger pro gun-grabbing politicians in the state.

Just this past Tuesday, on December 10th, the Board of Supervisors from Tazewell County passed two different resolutions in light of controversy circling those who are pro-gun. The first resolution declared the county to be a second amendment sanctuary. This is not at all surprising to see, as 76 out of 95 counties, 9 out of 38 independent cities, and 13 towns have adopted second amendment sanctuary resolutions.

The second item on the agenda was the proposition of establishing a militia in the county. When both of the resolutions passed, the crowd cheered loudly in support of the decisions.

“Our position is that Article I, Section 13, of the Constitution of Virginia reserves the right to ‘order’ militia to the localities. Therefore, counties, not the state, determine what types of arms may be carried in their territory and by whom. So, we are ‘ordering’ the militia by making sure everyone can own a weapon.”

Thus, if anyone from the state tries to remove the Sheriff from their elected office because they refuse to enforce unjust laws, those state officials will be faced with a lawful militia composed of citizens within the state.
          And as they’re pushing to ramp up safety and training – officials within the state are trying to get rid of personal defense. And if it’s not bad enough that they’re going after firearms, they’re going after self-defense measures as well.

An amendment to a current law in Virginia has some martial arts companies, as well as some citizens concerned.

Known as SB64, the bill, according to Self Defense Company, would “instantly transform all martial arts instructors into criminal felons.” They also claim that it would criminalize all firearms training classes, including concealed carry classes.

According to SDC, the law would “even criminalize a father teaching his own son how to use a hunting rifle.”

Virginia's governor has gone off the deep end and the citizens are fighting back. Literally.

When you try to make teaching self-defense illegal, you have gone too far.

Comment

When you try to make teaching self-defense illegal, you have gone too far.
            This is not going to end well...
            Last edited by seer; 12-17-2019, 06:56 AM.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              This is not going to end well...
              They need to impeach the governor before he starts a state-wide civil war. If 76 out of 95 counties are fighting this new law, then they need to repeal it. This is another one of those "one large population center" is controlling the entire state.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Jimmy, you might want to read The Federalist Papers and understand what that met, in the late 18th century.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  Jimmy, you might want to read The Federalist Papers and understand what that met, in the late 18th century.
                  We have been over this with JimL before. Well regulated means well trained and disciplined, not controlled. And it is just given as a reason not a condition of our right to bear arms. The right to bear arms is assumed as unalienable and the amendment just stops the government from infringing on it. It doesn't confer the right to carry a gun, it merely stops the government from trying to interfere with it.

Comment

We have been over this with JimL before. Well regulated means well trained and disciplined, not controlled. And it is just given as a reason not a condition of our right to bear arms. The right to bear arms is assumed as unalienable and the amendment just stops the government from infringing on it. It doesn't confer the right to carry a gun, it merely stops the government from trying to interfere with it.
                    Not unlimited, Sparko. See that Constitutional scholar Antonin Scalia.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Not unlimited, Sparko. See that Constitutional scholar Antonin Scalia.
                      Just because a Judge says it is limited doesn't make it so. The wording is clear, the Government (read SCOTUS too) cannot infringe on the right to bear arms. If they want to change that, they need to change the constitution.

Comment

• The last time the National Guard was used to seize weapons, 72 were killed and more than 200 injured.

As taken from American Grit, the Massachusetts National Guard were called upon to confiscate a cache of recently banned assault weapons. While performing their sweeps they were ambushed by elements of a para-military extremist faction. Military and law enforcement sources estimate that 72 were killed and more than 200 injured. Government forces were forced to withdraw.

Massachusetts Governor Thomas Gage declared that the extremist faction, which was made up of local citizens, has links to the radical right-wing tax protest movement.

Gage also blamed the extremists for recent incidents of vandalism directed against internal revenue offices.

The governor, who described the group’s organizers as “criminals,” issued an executive order authorizing the summary arrest of any individual who has interfered with the government’s efforts to secure law and order.

The military raid on the extremist arsenal followed wide-spread refusal by the local citizenry to turn over recently outlawed assault weapons. Gage issued a ban on military-style assault weapons and ammunition earlier in the week.

This decision followed a meeting earlier that month between government and military leaders at which the governor authorized the forcible confiscation of illegal arms.

One government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, pointed out that “none of these people would have been killed had the extremists obeyed the law and turned over their weapons voluntarily.”

Government troops initially succeeded in confiscating a large supply of outlawed weapons and ammunition. However, troops attempting to seize arms and ammunition in Lexington met with resistance from heavily armed extremists who had been tipped off regarding the government’s plans.

During the tense standoff in Lexington’s town park, National Guard Colonel Francis Smith, commander of the government operation, ordered the armed group to surrender and return to their homes. The impasse was broken by a single shot, which was reportedly fired by one of the right-wing extremists.

Eight civilians were killed in the ensuing exchange. Ironically, the local citizenry blamed government forces rather than the extremists for the civilian deaths. Before order could be restored, armed citizens from surrounding areas had descended upon the guard units.

Colonel Smith, finding his forces over-matched by the armed mob, ordered a retreat. Governor Gage has called upon citizens to support the state/national joint task force in its effort to restore law and order. The governor also demanded the surrender of those responsible for planning and leading the attack against the government troops.

Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and John Hancock, who have been identified as “ringleaders” of the extremist faction, remain at large.”

And this, my friends, is how the American Revolution began on April 20, 1775.

The British decided to test the resolve of these rebels. I dare say that somewhere in Virginia, should you try this again, you will find another Sam Adams, another Paul Revere and another giant signature writing John Hancock.

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...n-200-injured/

Comment

• Looks like the Virginia Dems are backing down in the face of their own citizens taking up arms to stop them...

[box]

Virginia Dems Cave on Confiscation as 2A Sanctuaries Expand

Virginia Democratic leaders abandoned their gun confiscation proposal Monday following a grassroots outpouring of opposition to gun control across the state.

Governor Ralph Northam (D.) and incoming Senate majority leader Dick Saslaw (D.) said they will no longer pursue their marquee plan to ban the possession of "assault weapons." Instead, they will include a provision to allow Virginians to keep the firearms they already own. The reversal comes before the newly elected Democratic majority has even been sworn in, after a majority of the state's counties declared themselves "Second Amendment sanctuaries."

"In this case, the governor's assault weapons ban will include a grandfather clause for individuals who already own assault weapons, with the requirement they register their weapons before the end of a designated grace period," Northam spokeswoman Alena Yarmosky told the Virginia Mercury.

Gun-rights groups said the backtracking is merely a political strategy designed to enact new gun bans and registration.

"Gov. Northam and the rest of Virginia’s anti-gun politicians’ idea of a compromise is to threaten hundreds of thousands of Virginians with felonies unless they submit to government control," Catherine Mortensen, a National Rifle Association spokesperson, told the Free Beacon. "The NRA will stand with the Commonwealth’s law-abiding gun owners in solidarity to oppose gun bans, confiscations, and registrations."

"We've been down this compromise road and their version of a compromise is they never give up anything," Van Cleave said. "We are expected to give up something every time and we're not doing it anymore. I think gun owners are tired of this and they're gonna stand up and fight this stuff."

The grandfather clause offered by Northam's office had no impact on VCDL's opposition to the bill, Van Cleave said, and the group will fight any new gun ban—whether it has a confiscation component or not.

"The problem with what his suggestion is it's still taking away guns," Van Cleave said. "Yeah, we get to keep our AR-15s, but what about the next generation and the generation after them? Who are we to negotiate away their rights and accept this crap?"

He did suggest they could work with Democrats on gun legislation if it targeted criminals instead of gun owners.

https://freebeacon.com/issues/virgin...uaries-expand/
                          Last edited by Sparko; 12-17-2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            "In this case, the governor's assault weapons ban will include a grandfather clause for individuals who already own assault weapons, with the requirement they register their weapons before the end of a designated grace period," Northam spokeswoman Alena Yarmosky told the Virginia Mercury.

I expect a run on such rifles in the next couple of weeks!
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• "In this case, the governor's assault weapons ban will include a grandfather clause for individuals who already own assault weapons, with the requirement they register their weapons before the end of a designated grace period," Northam spokeswoman Alena Yarmosky told the Virginia Mercury.

And, of course, people are going rush to the nearest government agency to register their "assault weapons", right?

I suspect civil disobedience will be the norm here.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

And, of course, people are going rush to the nearest government agency to register their "assault weapons", right?

I suspect civil disobedience will be the norm here.
                                From the article:

"Gov. Northam and the rest of Virginia’s anti-gun politicians’ idea of a compromise is to threaten hundreds of thousands of Virginians with felonies unless they submit to government control," Catherine Mortensen, a National Rifle Association spokesperson, told the Free Beacon. "The NRA will stand with the Commonwealth’s law-abiding gun owners in solidarity to oppose gun bans, confiscations, and registrations."

"We've been down this compromise road and their version of a compromise is they never give up anything," Van Cleave said. "We are expected to give up something every time and we're not doing it anymore. I think gun owners are tired of this and they're gonna stand up and fight this stuff."

The grandfather clause offered by Northam's office had no impact on VCDL's opposition to the bill, Van Cleave said, and the group will fight any new gun ban—whether it has a confiscation component or not.

"The problem with what his suggestion is it's still taking away guns," Van Cleave said. "Yeah, we get to keep our AR-15s, but what about the next generation and the generation after them? Who are we to negotiate away their rights and accept this crap?"

He did suggest they could work with Democrats on gun legislation if it targeted criminals instead of gun owners.
                                ----

Comment