Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why Did Impeachment Hearings Fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Chief Justice of the SCOTUS, John G. Roberts Jr., who I'm willing to bet will have little tolerance for the sort of behavior exhibited in the House.
    Let's count the number of times he says "I recognize myself" and "The gentleman/gentlewoman will suspend".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Rep. Brenda Lawrence signals a possible exit strategy.

We are so close to an election. I will tell you, sitting here knowing how divided this country is, I don’t see the value of taking him out of office. I do see the value of putting down a marker saying his behavior is not acceptable.

I want to censure. I want it on the record that the House of Representatives did their job and they told this president and any president coming behind him that this is unacceptable behavior and, under our Constitution, we will not allow it.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...out-of-office/
      Yeah, there are hints that other Democrats, perhaps not completely afflicted with TDS, are considering alternatives to continuing the PROCESS.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        A) It's my thread.
        2) As I said....
        So, you can go off topic and those who disagree with you will have to stay on topic. Very convenient way to discuss a topic (especially if you cannot really support it).
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
          So, you can go off topic and those who disagree with you will have to stay on topic. Very convenient way to discuss a topic (especially if you cannot really support it).
          Nobody is going to keep you from going off topic, Charles. It's your specialty.

Comment

Charles, please take your load of horsie poo to some other thread -- this one is about the impeachment PROCESS.
            Nobody is going to keep you from going off topic, Charles. It's your specialty.
            Please see if you can at the very least be consistent...
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

I'm actually very consistent, Charles....

That first quote was me politely asking you to take your derail elsewhere.
              The second quote was me acknowledging that's not gonna happen, as you are currently demonstrating.

I COULD officially ask you, as owner of the thread, to leave, but there's a certain amount of entertainment value you bring.

Comment

The OP of a thread has more discretion than the participants of a thread. If a thread goes off topic, even if the diversion was caused by a remark by the OP, the OP can request it be disregarded by others and to return to the topic. You as a participant have the option of disregarding the diversion (which was the OP's request) and returning to the topic or leaving the thread. Continuing to derail is NOT one of the options.
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

So, some Dems are still trying to figure out what they think about moving forward with impeachment...

Swing State Dem Flips on Impeachment

In this article, Rep. Brenda Lawrence (D-MI) seems to flip on her former opinion, then flips on that opinion, and flips yet again in an "update"...

Not all Dems are gung ho about handing this over to the Senate.

Comment

I'm actually very consistent, Charles....

That first quote was me politely asking you to take your derail elsewhere.
                    Politely asking as in:

Charles, please take your load of horsie poo to some other thread -- this one is about the impeachment PROCESS.
                    But then again, you are actually very consistent

Comment

Politely asking as in:
                      Yes, I said please. Anything else, Charles?

But then again, you are actually very consistent
                      Yes. Yes, I am.

Ready to comment on anything "on topic"?

Comment

Ready to comment on anything "on topic"?
                        Yes. I think this sums it up: “That is beyond anything Nixon did." Adam Schiff

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/p...ne/3919128002/

Comment

Let's count the number of times he says "I recognize myself" and "The gentleman/gentlewoman will suspend".
                          Or interrupt testimony so that he can tell the witness what they mean.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes. I think this sums it up: “That is beyond anything Nixon did." Adam Schiff

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/p...ne/3919128002/
                            Actually, that's not on topic, either, Charles. This is about whether the PROCESS will move forward, and how.

Lemme refresh your memory, please...

OK, so maybe you think they didn't, but something happened.

Was it Schiff's handling of the thing, being too controlling? (That's my personal choice, given that the made himself judge, jury, chief prosecutor AND media liaison.

Is, as has been suggested elsewhere on this board, that Americans are just stupid?

Current polling (and that may change) suggests the Democrats actually LOST ground by having public hearings.

Didn't they put on their most vigorous prosecution?
                            Didn't they call their best witnesses?

Since impeachment is entirely a political process (in that it's run by politicians, and, in this case, is incredibly partisan) what could the Democrats have done differently to persuade America to support them in their impeachment prosecution, instead, appearing to convince Americans NOT to support impeachment?

For Bonus Points... well, let's put that in a poll...
                            And, CNN's most current polling shows NO CHANGE in the view of Americans on the need for the PROCESS to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                              The OP of a thread has more discretion than the participants of a thread. If a thread goes off topic, even if the diversion was caused by a remark by the OP, the OP can request it be disregarded by others and to return to the topic. You as a participant have the option of disregarding the diversion (which was the OP's request) and returning to the topic or leaving the thread. Continuing to derail is NOT one of the options.
                              I may add that if anyone finds the derail compelling they are perfectly free to start another thread and continue along that line.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                I may add that if Charles found the derail compelling he is perfectly free to start another thread and continue along that line.
                                I'm beginning to think that might be necessary. He just kaint seem to hepp hisseff.

Comment