Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why Did Impeachment Hearings Fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
    It is likely to be Pelosi rather than Schiff who is in charge of developments. They already know that a Senate trial would elevate Trump and they do not want to give him that victory. He will gloat anyway but damaging material will continue to flow.

The story will be developed further in the press. Rudy and Pompeo might end up in deep trouble.

The biggest prize of all goes to Putin - a stunning achievement, greater than the ‘atom’ spies.

Trump will go on to lift sanctions on Russia, and by doing so, undermine Ukraine’s negotiating position.

The United States will bear the shame of this period for decades to come.
    Everything you write reads like satire. Is that your intent?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Yup this was all about putting pressure on Republican officials and it didn't work at all. Instead of building something they can call bipartisan support for impeachment what we have instead is bipartisan support against impeachment.
      That's why the papers are all awash with the latest polls on support for impeachment!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not everyone is like you, happy to toss over 200 years of jurisprudence out the window, just to get someone you despise. Some of us demand actual evidence, not second, third and even fourth hand hearsay. And some of us understand that what little direct evidence and even circumstantial evidence there is tends to exonerate Trump.
        And the Democrats brought this whole impeachment circus on themselves, fully confident that "America" would cheer them on. Fail.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          There is first hand testimony for the criminal offences that Trump committed for the impeachment....
          Shuny, I'd like to politely ask you not to try to re-litigate the impeachment hearings. This is simply about where we go next. There are plenty of other threads to get into the weeds of the prosecution.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            It is likely to be Pelosi rather than Schiff who is in charge of developments. They already know that a Senate trial would elevate Trump and they do not want to give him that victory. He will gloat anyway but damaging material will continue to flow.

The story will be developed further in the press. Rudy and Pompeo might end up in deep trouble.
            I guess that's your way of saying that Schiff and his impeachment inquiry blew it and are D.O.A. so you're now hoping that someone else eventually uncovers this elusive "proof" that y'all keep looking for.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I guess that's your way of saying that Schiff and his impeachment inquiry blew it and are D.O.A. so you're now hoping that someone else eventually uncovers this elusive "proof" that y'all keep looking for.
              There outta be a double-jeopardy statute for impeachment. "OK, you guys gave it your best shot, now take down the tent and GET BACK TO WORK!!!!"

But, no, they launched their hearings thinking they had a slam dunk and would convince America to oust Trump. They're not done yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                There outta be a double-jeopardy statute for impeachment. "OK, you guys gave it your best shot, now take down the tent and GET BACK TO WORK!!!!"

But, no, they launched their hearings thinking they had a slam dunk and would convince America to oust Trump. They're not done yet.
                Democrats have indicated that they think they have multiple grounds on which to impeach Trump, so I wonder if they're going to slow roll this thing by releasing one article of impeachment, seeing if it sticks, release the next one, rinse and repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Democrats have indicated that they think they have multiple grounds on which to impeach Trump, so I wonder if they're going to slow roll this thing by releasing one article of impeachment, seeing if it sticks, release the next one, rinse and repeat.
                  Actually, I'm seeing a couple of the Democrat talking heads pointing out that the impeachment hearings are not over -- they were just temporarily suspended.

Comment

Impeachment has not started yet - this is just an obstructed investigation. More pressure to be applied to the delinquent executives.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Impeachment has not started yet - this is just an obstructed investigation.
                      I agree that the Democrats can't seem to figure out what to call this circus, but the hearings were public for the sole purpose of trying to garner public support.

More pressure to be applied to the delinquent executives.
                      So, you think Pelosi is gonna spank Schiff?

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                        Impeachment has not started yet...
                        The Democrats sure seem to think it has.

Comment

The Democrats sure seem to think it has.
                          No, they have to draw up articles of impeachment and take a vote. If the vote passes, Trump is impeached, and not before. What is clear is that the US Congress is being bullied by Trump, and they don’t have an answer to that yet. The US seems unable to defend itself against an autocrat like Trump.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

No, they have to draw up articles of impeachment and take a vote. If the vote passes, Trump is impeached, and not before. What is clear is that the US Congress is being bullied by Trump, and they don’t have an answer to that yet. The US seems unable to defend itself against an autocrat like Trump.
                            If you're going to try to be pedantic about our country's political system, you might want to be more clear about your claim that Trump is bulling "the US Congress" (the bicameral legislature of the federal government of the United States), which is made up of the House and the Senate. If Trump is "bullying" anybody "in Congress", it would be the House.

And, if Trump were, indeed, impeached on an incredibly partisan vote in the House*, he would probably have less than a snowball's chance of surviving in the Hot Place of being removed from office in the Senate.

*likely zero Republicans voting yes and probably some Democrats voting no

Comment

...you might want to be more clear about your claim that Trump is bulling "the US Congress"...
                              Typo, or Freudian slip?

Comment

Typo, or Freudian slip?
                                hehehe Ony my hairdresser knows for sure.

Comment