Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Republicans’ motivations are all out in the open

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Republicans’ motivations are all out in the open

Michael Gerson has once again written an interesting piece on Trump and the republicans:

“Secretary [Rick] Perry, Ambassador [Kurt] Volker and I worked with Mr. Rudy Giuliani on Ukraine matters at the express direction of the president of the United States. . . . We followed the president’s orders. . . . Everyone was in the loop.”

With these words, Gordon Sondland, ambassador to the European Union, did his country the favor of candor and clarity. This does not mean that elected Republicans will yield to reason and evidence. But it does change conditions on the ground in significant ways.
    According to Sondland, Vice President Pence was informed of the extortion attempt and said nothing. Both acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo were closely involved in the effort.
    Congress now has every reason and right to hear directly from Barr, Pence, Mulvaney and Pompeo, given their implication in public corruption. And their refusal to testify compounds their apparent corruption with cowardice.
    Third, the Sondland testimony — along with the testimony of other witnesses — has stripped away the last, semi-rational arguments advanced by Republican defenders of the president. No quid pro quo? No longer tenable. Secondhand hearsay? Not anymore. A “deep-state” plot? Tell that to Vindman and Taylor. The president as anti-corruption crusader? Give me a break.
    Any leader who would depend on Rudy Giuliani, Michael Cohen, Paul Manafort and Roger Stone for service and counsel is not a bad judge of character; he is a good judge of useful knaves.
    But at the top of those lines Trump has placed people such as Mulvaney, Barr, Pence and Pompeo, who are morally neutered.
    Other Republicans will want to appear more reluctant. But anyone who puts power above truth and character is doing a nasty disservice to their country. And it won’t be forgotten.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d00_story.html
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Democrats want to throw Trump from the train so they can control it all by themselves, and will do anything they feel necessary to accomplish that.
    Republicans want to keep Trump on the train so they can keep the White House, the Senate, and will do anything they feel necessary to accomplish that.

Who else is absolutely shocked? SHOCKED, I say!
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

3. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm still wondering who Michael Gerson is and why I should care about his opinion.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

5. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I'm still wondering who Michael Gerson is and why I should care about his opinion.

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I need to get a subscription to the WaPo.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Is that Michael Gerson, or a young Garrison Keillor?

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    I need to get a subscription to the WaPo.
    I did not need one. You can read it for free. At least I could.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I did not need one. You can read it for free. At least I could.
    Many of these outfits allow you x number of page views per day or week, then start throwing up a paywall.

Washington Post offers free access to users who are Amazon Prime members, meaning people who bought the Amazon Prime subscription. Also, you can have unlimited access if you have .edu, .mil/, or .gov email. In such case, you should fill in your email in the required field while registering on the site. You will be able to get your free subscription after the email is verified.

11. Amen RumTumTugger, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you have firefox and you're quick with the esc key at the right time, you usually can stop the paywall block from loading
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    If you have firefox and you're quick with the esc key at the right time, you usually can stop the paywall block from loading
    It's the Washington Compost. Not worth the effort.