Thread: Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Making up stories again, I see.
    Have you ever listened to someone who was held a strict constructionism view on the constitution, regardless of which area he was from? Lincoln placed the onus on the south, while the seccessionists saw their actions as constitutional.

Many do view Lincoln's actions negatively, while also recognizing some of the great things Lincoln did.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Shunya didn't say the south, Tea, he said many, if not most, conservative republicans in the south hate Lincoln. But yea, I'm sure the South, you know, that part of the country that went to war against the North and President Lincoln, now likes Lincoln more than the North does. Did you take a count, or do you just make this stuff up in your own mind?
    *emphasis mine

Did too, and now you're both wrong.

Lincoln's version of reunification was much better than Reconstruction and, unlike you history ignorant Yankees, every Southerner knows it. My guess is you have no clue why Johnson was impeached.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Have you ever listened to someone who was held a strict constructionism view on the constitution, regardless of which area he was from? Lincoln placed the onus on the south, while the seccessionists saw their actions as constitutional.

Many do view Lincoln's actions negatively, while also recognizing some of the great things Lincoln did.
    Granted - but that wasn't the question. In the South, Lincoln has a more positive than negative reputation - and we all still think the Court was wrong.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Actually because of my interest in history I have attended the 'Sons of Confederate Veterans' often and have friends there. One long term friend. They discouraged me from using 5 dollar bills when I paid for the Onions they sold to raise money, and pay for lunch with them.
    You imply that they're a bunch of unrepentant racists with a "lot white silk sheets in the closet" (KKK robes) but have friends there. So how long have you been paling around with KKK members?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

5. Amen Teallaura, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I got A's in history, but deleted everything I learned when I graduated. :-(
    When I was in History and Civics back in High Skewl other kids would actually use me to fact check what the teacher said.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

7. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's a heartwarming anecdotal story, Shuny. Thank you so very much for sharing it.

Just remember --- an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but an onion a day keeps EVERYBODY away!
    There are also regular demonstrations in Hillsborough and other cities of Confederate flag waving.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeareís Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Granted - but that wasn't the question. In the South, Lincoln has a more positive than negative reputation - and we all still think the Court was wrong.
    Lincoln was dead set against seeking revenge against the South

10. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    You imply that they're a bunch of unrepentant racists with a "lot white silk sheets in the closet" (KKK robes) but have friends there. So how long have you been paling around with KKK members?
    There are a lot of unrepentant racists in the Sons of the Confederacy. And there are many who are interested in the history, as well as the genealogy searches (everyone wants to be a descendant of a war hero). The neo Confederate movement does have a large number of racists, the last twenty years has shown the tension between the competing goals of the group

So the discussion is similar to the discussion on the meaning of the Confederate flags and the meaning of the Confederate monuments. The Unite the Right at Charlottesville was about that, as well as the meaning for those ideas for today's politics.

The neoconfederate groups describe Lincoln in terms of a tyrant, which is hardly positive. Many emphasize the goals of the Confederate war effort as defensive, the Union as an aggressor; the south as respecting the spirit of the constitution written by the founding fathers, Lincoln as expanding the central government's prerogatives.

12. Amen JimL amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    When I was in History and Civics back in High Skewl other kids would actually use me to fact check what the teacher said.
    I made sure to take History during the summer sessions -- much shorter, so you didn't have to remember dates and names and places as long before the Final.
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, as with all men, I'm sure we can find some things Lincoln did that we didn't like, but overall -- the man's a legend, and well respected in my part of the South.
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

15. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.