Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    So treating ideas with contempt and disdain is a bad thing!

For some reason Psychic Missile (or whomever) thought your response followed the depictions closely enough to make the quip about mistaking it as a documentary.
    Psychic Missile seems to try to land his blows by saying the stupidest thing possible.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yeah, they so often get left out. And now there's that new branch that will never get serious recognition -- the Space Force?

Will they have uniforms and marching formations? What kind of weapons will they be issued?
      Blasters. Duh.

Comment

Can you please demonstrate where MM ever indicated that?
        The idea that professors and students are arguing with and ridiculing Christian students turning them away from God is a fantasy.
        Last edited by Psychic Missile; 12-14-2019, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Psychic Missile seems to try to land his blows by saying the stupidest thing possible.
          Is that what happened in this case? I have no idea if Psychic Missile uses absurd arguments.

The movie represents a narrative common among Christians, and Mountain Man certainly certainly seems to accept that narrative uncritically. To "treat entertainment as a documentary" does carry the sense of treating a narrative or story line as true, not just the literalistic "he thinks it a documentary".

The narrative also buys into the idea of Christians as victims at the hand of evil atheists and academics, and atheists are atheists because of psychological issues. And of course the plucky lone Christian gets to the root of the problem and converts all those around him, a counterpart to the "do good" and supposedly universalist dramas depicting Christian (or angelic) interactions with nonbelievers.

Is there anything as "Christian" films or tv drama?

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            The idea that professors and students are arguing with and ridiculing Christian students turning them away from God is a fantasy.
            Wow, your evidence is overwhelming!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Wow, your evidence is overwhelming!
              Maybe he heard from a friend, who heard it from a friend who heard it from another that it never happens. After all that is the new gold standard for evidence that the left is championing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Maybe he heard from a friend, who heard it from a friend who heard it from another that it never happens. After all that is the new gold standard for evidence that the left is championing.
                The bubble. (suddenly, a song popped into my head --- the bubble, to the tune of "the bunny, the bunny, I love the bunny bunny..."

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  The Coast Guard is almost like part cop, part EMS, and part military. It’s an interesting animal, for sure and really, if we get technical, the US had 7 uniformed service branches.
                  My Dad served in the Coast Guard for six months... Then they found out he was 15... Things were different in 1919, but evidently they took those minimum age things seriously...

He was too young in WWI and too old in WWII.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    My Dad served in the Coast Guard for six months... Then they found out he was 15... Things were different in 1919, but evidently they took those minimum age things seriously...

He was too young in WWI and too old in WWII.
                    I still have a hard time figuring out how old I am because I lied about my age and joined the Air Force a year early.

Comment

I do understand what social engineering means, and am cognizant on how the term is used.

Many condemned the policies on gays in the military, and inclusion of women in combat jobs as social engineering. One argument against same sex marriage, and school curricula on gays, was that it was social engineering.

Desegregation of society, and society's institutions was not an organic and grass roots phenomenon. It was imposed, against the will of the electorate, and depended on the coercive power of the federal government.

The military is a bellwether, it leads society in some ways. Catholic and Mormon writers note the role wars play in acceptance of the religion by those otherwise opposed. It is the familiarity drawn from exposure to the individuals. And that is one reason the military played a significant role in the acceptance of civil rights. Only a decade after Truman's executive order, blacks played a disproportionate role in the Vietnam war.

Social engineering is the attempt to influence society, change behavior, attitudes and dispositions, to manage social change. One result of the civil rights initiatives was that there have been no real attempts to roll back the legal bases for civil rights, the battles are quibbling over small details, like the effects of voter id.

Maybe the way Plessy is viewed is indicative, it was a judicial error (like Dred Scott), but it was an error shared by many Americans, since it upheld existing policies. Plessy was a rejection of the social engineering forced by the Reconstruction amendments and policies. And the political backlash to the rejection of Plessy resulted in the modern conservative movement where Bob Jones and Dallas Theological play a significant role.
                      No, you're still conflating civil rights and social engineering.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I still have a hard time figuring out how old I am because I lied about my age and joined the Air Force a year early.
                        Just imagine how hard it is for mossy to calculate her age. Not only were there no calendars then, the entire Solar System wouldn't be formed for several more billion years

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Just imagine how hard it is for mossy to calculate her age. Not only were there no calendars then, the entire Solar System wouldn't be formed for several more billion years
                          No one calculates infinity...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

No one calculates infinity...
                            But a couple of the boffins at roguetech recently tried dividing by zero.

Comment

No, you're still conflating civil rights and social engineering.
                              Why wasn't the imposition of civil rights legislation a form of social engineering?

Comment

Why wasn't the imposition of civil rights legislation a form of social engineering?
                                It would be good to note (since I think I'm the one who brought this up in the first place) that 'social engineering' today is not the same context in which I used it.

Today, it means using non-technical means to get what hackers want.

Social engineering is the use of non-technical methods to trick a potential victim into sharing their personal information with a hacker. Hackers use deceptive practices to appeal to their target’s willingness to be helpful in order to obtain passwords, bank account details, and other personal information.

There's also social engineering in political science, and in sociology.

I was referring (and when I use the term, intend to refer) to the sociological sense in which, for example, 'education' introduces a fear of 'the coming ice age' or 'overpopulation' or other things to influence society to be more accepting of birth control, abortion, euthanasia, same-sex marriage, etc...

Comment