Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

A majority of Republicans ranked Donald Trump over Civil War hero Abraham Lincoln when asked which was the better president, according to a poll — a result that Trump seized on as an argument against impeachment.

“And the Do Nothing Democrats want to impeach President Trump?” he tweeted over a link to a news story about the stunning results, which found that 53% of GOP voters prefer Trump, while 47% favor Honest Abe.

The Economist/YouGov survey of 1,500 adults asked Democrats, Republicans and independents to compare Trump to seven other GOP presidents, including Lincoln
    https://nypost.com/2019/11/30/most-r...-lincoln-poll/
    Rushmore is still on the cards
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

I'll bet a sizable number said that for exactly the reason Trumpus Maximus says a lot of the things he says: To make the liberals' heads explode.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
      Jail is what is in the cards ...
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

That just puts the majority of republicans like yourself in the ignorant category, which explains why we have a corrupt con man in the White House in the first place. At least there are 47%, nearly half of you, that aren't quite as dumb as the majority of you seem to be.

Comment

Probably not surprising. A sizable number of conservatives and libertarians hate Lincoln for suspending habeas corpus.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Probably not surprising. A sizable number of conservatives and libertarians hate Lincoln for suspending habeas corpus.
            I doubt that current day republicans still hold that against him since he was trying to win a war against a treasonous South. To be honest, I doubt most current day republicans even know what habeas corpus is or that Lincoln suspended it. I think they just love themselves some Trump, corrupt though he be.

Comment

Hate?
              But it is a major reason why I don't think he was a "great" president.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                Jail is what is in the cards ...
                "He's going down this time, really and truly!!!!"

When he doesn't, will you finally let go of your hatred?
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Hate?
                  But it is a major reason why I don't think he was a "great" president.
                  In the biblical sense of not preferred, absolutely. He is a frequent entrant on lists of worst executive.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

In a time of war, but also Bush did too.

Source: https://www.thoughtco.com/bush-lincoln-both-suspended-habeas-corpus-3321847

Why Bush and Lincoln Both Suspended Habeas Corpus
                    The differences and similarities in each president's decision

by
                    Robert Longley
                    Updated August 22, 2019

On Oct. 17, 2006, President George W. Bush signed a law suspending the right of habeas corpus to persons "determined by the United States" to be an "enemy combatant" in the Global War on Terror.

Bush's action drew severe criticism, mainly for the law's failure to specifically designate who in the United States will determine who is and who is not an "enemy combatant."

'A Time of Shame This Is'
                    Jonathan Turley, professor of constitutional law at George Washington University, objected to Bush's support for the law—the Military Commissions Act of 2006—and its suspension of writs of habeas corpus. He stated,

"What, really, a time of shame this is for the American system. What the Congress did and what the president signed today essentially revokes over 200 years of American principles and values."

Not the First Time

The Military Commissions Act of 2006 was not the first time the Constitution's guaranteed right to writs of habeas corpus was suspended by an action of a president.

In the early days of the U.S. Civil War President Abraham Lincoln suspended writs of habeas corpus.

Both Bush and Lincoln based their actions on the dangers of war, and both presidents faced sharp criticism for carrying out what many believed to be an attack on the Constitution.

© Copyright Original Source

Many if not most conservative Republicans in the South hate Lincoln for obvious reasons.
                    Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-01-2019, 06:20 PM.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      In a time of war, but also Bush did too.

Source: https://www.thoughtco.com/bush-lincoln-both-suspended-habeas-corpus-3321847

Why Bush and Lincoln Both Suspended Habeas Corpus
                      The differences and similarities in each president's decision

by
                      Robert Longley
                      Updated August 22, 2019

On Oct. 17, 2006, President George W. Bush signed a law suspending the right of habeas corpus to persons "determined by the United States" to be an "enemy combatant" in the Global War on Terror.

Bush's action drew severe criticism, mainly for the law's failure to specifically designate who in the United States will determine who is and who is not an "enemy combatant."

'A Time of Shame This Is'
                      Jonathan Turley, professor of constitutional law at George Washington University, objected to Bush's support for the law—the Military Commissions Act of 2006—and its suspension of writs of habeas corpus. He stated,

"What, really, a time of shame this is for the American system. What the Congress did and what the president signed today essentially revokes over 200 years of American principles and values."

Not the First Time

The Military Commissions Act of 2006 was not the first time the Constitution's guaranteed right to writs of habeas corpus was suspended by an action of a president.

In the early days of the U.S. Civil War President Abraham Lincoln suspended writs of habeas corpus.

Both Bush and Lincoln based their actions on the dangers of war, and both presidents faced sharp criticism for carrying out what many believed to be an attack on the Constitution.

© Copyright Original Source

Like I said, most current day republicans, including those posting, weren't even aware of Lincolns suspension of Habeas corpus, they all loved G. W. Bush. Hmm, wonder what their real reason is for hating Lincoln?

Comment

Is Trump going to jump?
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Is Trump going to jump?
                          Into a one way jet to Russia is my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Like I said, most current day republicans, including those posting, weren't even aware of Lincolns suspension of Habeas corpus, they all loved G. W. Bush. Hmm, wonder what their real reason is for hating Lincoln?
                            Many if not most conservative Republicans in the South hate Lincoln for obvious reasons. In North and South Carolina it is almost unanimous, with a lot white silk sheets in the closet flying Confederate flags.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-01-2019, 06:30 PM.

Frank

Comment

Many if not most conservative Republicans in the South hate Lincoln for obvious reasons. In North and South Carolina it is almost unanimous, with a lot white silk sheets in the closet flying Confederate flags.
                              That was my guess.

Comment