Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It would be good to note (since I think I'm the one who brought this up in the first place) that 'social engineering' today is not the same context in which I used it.

Today, it means using non-technical means to get what hackers want.

Social engineering is the use of non-technical methods to trick a potential victim into sharing their personal information with a hacker. Hackers use deceptive practices to appeal to their target’s willingness to be helpful in order to obtain passwords, bank account details, and other personal information.

There's also social engineering in political science, and in sociology.

I was referring (and when I use the term, intend to refer) to the sociological sense in which, for example, 'education' introduces a fear of 'the coming ice age' or 'overpopulation' or other things to influence society to be more accepting of birth control, abortion, euthanasia, same-sex marriage, etc...
    I doubt that anyone confused the context as personal security.

The civil rights legislation was designed to influence society to be accepting of equality of rights. And it was successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      I doubt that anyone confused the context as personal security.
      Just pointing out there are at least 3 different contexts in which the term is used.

The civil rights legislation was designed to influence society to be accepting of equality of rights. And it was successful.
      I don't believe that was so much "social engineering" as it was a grassroots effort started by the likes or Rosa Parks, The Tuskegee Airmen, Martin Luther King and others.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just pointing out there are at least 3 different contexts in which the term is used.

I don't believe that was so much "social engineering" as it was a grassroots effort started by the likes or Rosa Parks, The Tuskegee Airmen, Martin Luther King and others.
        So the civil rights movement started in the forties and fifties?

Maybe it is a good thing that most states dictate some of the curricula, such as black history month.

The civil rights movement started much earlier, the actors which you named were just the ones who became popular and accepted by a large segment of this country.

Comment

So the civil rights movement started in the forties and fifties?
          Most movements don't start on a specific date - they tend to be an accumulation of events that move..... that's why it's called a "movement".

Maybe it is a good thing that most states dictate some of the curricula, such as black history month.
          Yeah, sure.

The civil rights movement started much earlier, the actors which you named were just the ones who became popular and accepted by a large segment of this country.
          Which is exactly why I said "the likes of" and "and others".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've lived all over Texas and haven't run into a single person who hates Lincoln. Never heard any such thing.
            I think, judging from the Confederate Flag thread, that he's talking about the KKK.

I just don't think the KKK are that big anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              I think, judging from the Confederate Flag thread, that he's talking about the KKK.

I just don't think the KKK are that big anymore.
              True story: Fall 1981, standing in the cafeteria line in a Southern state university, overheard the two black guys in line behind me talking about the Klan. They agreed it was a joke.

It's not even that anymore.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                True story: Fall 1981, standing in the cafeteria line in a Southern state university, overheard the two black guys in line behind me talking about the Klan. They agreed it was a joke.

No, they are not that big anymore. But they were never all that big, yet they still managed to gain influence, because of the number of "fellow travelers" or those sympathetic to its ideas and ideals. In the same way, the overt racism of the klan has largely disappeared, yet racism has not.
                or

Comment

No, they are not that big anymore. But they were never all that big, yet they still managed to gain influence, because of the number of "fellow travelers" or those sympathetic to its ideas and ideals. In the same way, the overt racism of the klan has largely disappeared, yet racism has not.
                  or
                  Don't leave me hanging, bro ---- or WHAT?

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

The Klan is alive and well in North Carolina.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/09/06/after-kkk-makes-late-night-visit-tiny-north-carolina-town-takes-stand/

HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. — I can only guess that, in the deep silence of the night, a small caravan of cars left Pelham, N.C., home of one of the largest Ku Klux Klan groups in the country, and drove the 40-some miles to Hillsborough, where I’ve lived for six years. They arrived in the darkest hours of Saturday morning, fulfilling their promise to return to our town after a highly visible protest on Aug. 24. Driving up and down our sleepy streets, the Klansmen left their calling cards in mailboxes and on front stoops: “The clock is ticking, Wake Up White America. Join the Klan & Save Our Land,” read one flier. “AIDS Cures Fags. Gods Laws! Have You Forgotten!” said another. The citizens of Hillsborough awoke to what one of my neighbors called a “paper bombing.”

Our town was ready. By first light, the Nextdoor email group was abuzz with news of the hateful fliers as well as final details about the March for a Hate-Free Hillsborough scheduled for noon that day. The Klan’s protest the week before, replete with white robes and wizard hats, hadn’t come out of the blue. For several years now we’ve been targeted by numerous Confederate-flag-waving protests, challenging the county’s banning of “Rebel” symbols in the schools, the removal of the words “Confederate Memorial" from the history museum, as well as a town decision to limit the size of flags after an enormous and intimidating Confederate flag had been hoisted on nearby U.S. 70.

Two community organizations, Hillsborough Progressives Taking Action and the Hate-Free Schools Coalition, jumped into action, creating a flier for the anti-hate march that was posted on message boards and handed out by the light of day, calling for Hillsboroughians “to organize in bold opposition to this hate, violence, and intimation.” That flier, that message, that determination to resist — these elements form the kernel of decency at the very core of Hillsborough — a diverse town of about 6,500 adjacent to Durham and Chapel Hill — and, I believe, the seeds of victory over hate.

The kickoff spot was the Old Slave Cemetery, across the street from my house, which is usually deserted in early morning. Saturday was different. As my dog and I watched from the front porch, police officers and their canines swarmed the cemetery and its perimeter. They were “doing a sweep for explosives,” as one lieutenant explained to me.

As a journalist, I knew what to do: get out there and report on the unfolding story. But I’m also a local and I felt a mix of fear and pride. Believe me, it was unsettling to watch that sweep, especially since Zoe, my terrier, and I walk that perimeter every day. At the same time I was proud of our community leaders who had organized a rapid-response text network that alerts citizens to anti-hate actions, and this march.

(Hillsborough’s police chief, Duane Hampton, emailed me midweek to say that an “active investigation” of the fliers has been started. When I called the Klan group in Pelham for information, I listened to an outgoing message that included, “If you’re white and proud, join the crowd.” I didn’t receive a call back.)

Just before noon, I watched as neighbors poured into the cemetery from all directions. By the time I walked across the street, a crowd of several hundred had gathered. Singles. Couples. Families of all stripes. Black folk, brown and white folk, too. Mayor Tom Stevens, surveying the crowd, told me: “These are just average citizens, young, old, who have taken recent events very seriously and love this town.”

These “average citizens” carried homemade signs with heartfelt sentiments. One middle-aged woman held up a piece of cardboard with thick white lettering: “Make America Kind Again.” Another gentleman stood at attention, his sign proclaiming, “Our Town Our People.” A schoolboy, probably not older than 10, held a neon green poster board on which he’d sketched a peace sign. An African American couple in “Kamala Harris 2020” T-shirts held a sign between them: “No place in America for white supremacy.”

Determination overlaid the sadness at having to be there. “I was choking back tears the whole time,” said neighbor Tori Reynolds, referring to the opening remarks, song and benediction at the cemetery, which included members of the Meherrin and Occaneechi Indian Nations. “There we were, standing on the bodies of dead slaves. I felt the pain of all those humans who suffered — the torture, the loss of life and dignity.”

I lagged behind to do interviews as the march departed the cemetery, quickly making a turn onto West King Street, one of two main thoroughfares in town. That gave me an amazing vantage point looking down the street as marchers headed to the old courthouse: a sea of friends and neighbors, shoulder to shoulder, placards bobbing up and down, everyone sweating together in the late summer sun.

Hillsborough author Allan Gurganus, who wrote “Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All,” soldiered down West King, relying on both a walking stick and his indignation to power his march. I asked what had brought him here. “I’m out defending home and neighbors against this epidemic of bigotry,” he replied. “ ‘Family values’ were once claimed by the Republicans, but the left must proudly claim the moral high ground.”

I wasn’t sure I’d heard the North Carolina native correctly. “Family values?” I asked. “Yes," he replied. “Our new truth and conviction involves championing old home truths. Empathy. Calling out this shameless bigotry.”

By 1:30 p.m. I had arrived at the courthouse, where the rally — a mixture of song and speech — proved to be “a wonderful display of diversity,” T. Anthony Spearman, president of NAACP North Carolina, told the crowd estimated to be 500. Among the groups represented: the Episcopal Church of the Advocate, the Native American Caucus of the North Carolina Democratic Party, Carolina Jews for Justice, and Smash Racism Raleigh.

Patricia Clayton with Northern Orange County NAACP spoke to the timeliness of the march. “In the year that we are commemorating the first arrival of 20 slaves in Jamestown … we as a nation have to talk, think and reinvigorate ourselves to fight against oppression and say no to white supremacy. Four hundred years of hard labor, of oppression, of suppression. Lynchings, rape and pure hatred have been the story.”

I saw public safety officers lining the main street, gazes vigilant. A police walkie-talkie crackled: “There’s a man with an unconcealed gun in the front seat of his car.” Orders were quickly dispatched — and the officer returned to his watch. (In the KKK march, two of the Klansmen had illegal firearms with them.)

I found myself squeezed next to Laketa Smith, a social worker from nearby Durham, who told me, “I really came out to just add a body in solidarity to the group of people who are taking a stand here today.” She paused to consider her thoughts. “It’s kind of sad that we still have to do this. Really sad. But it makes me feel hopeful.”

Yes, hopeful. Even after the Klan protest and the before-dawn drop of the KKK fliers, I could see lightness in this march. Betty Rider, representing Carolina Jews for Justice, told a rapt audience how all people “should be treated with dignity and respect regardless of whether their philosophical, political or cultural characteristics make them different from us.” Even Klansmen? Yes, even them, she told me, although she acknowledged, “Sometimes that’s really hard to do.” But not impossible. Of all the photos from these troubling times, the one that stays most with me: an African American man attempting to engage a hooded Klansmen in a civil conversation. Hope.

I also stopped to talk with a family of four, including 7-year-old Virani. “I’m a newspaper reporter, and I am just curious why you’re out here with your mom and her partner,” I said on one knee. Apparently, Virani (whose mother says she is multiracial) had already thought about my question, because she wasted no time in telling me: “We want to support people to be nice to each other — and to help the white people and brown people to be nice together.”

Hope. Solidarity. And average citizens who won’t stand for hate. This is the secret to Hillsborough’s victory.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      The Klan is alive and well in North Carolina.
                      I would hardly call an opinion piece by a "contributing columnist" proof that the Klan was "alive and well".

It sounds like "the Klan" snuck into town like the cowards they are in the middle of the night, and scattered like roaches when the sun (both literally and metaphorically) came up.

Comment

I would hardly call an opinion piece by a "contributing columnist" proof that the Klan was "alive and well".

It sounds like "the Klan" snuck into town like the cowards they are in the middle of the night, and scattered like roaches when the sun (both literally and metaphorically) came up.
                        "Small caravan" from "one of the largest groups in the country"? They're YUGE, I'm tellin' ya!
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Don't leave me hanging, bro ---- or WHAT?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            "Small caravan" from "one of the largest groups in the country"? They're YUGE, I'm tellin' ya!
                            And I have "vivid and painful memories of black churches being burned in my own state when I was a child”. I'm tellin' ya!

Is there a name for this need for liberals to grossly exaggerate a threat in order to prove they need to stand against it?

Comment

And I have "vivid and painful memories of black churches being burned in my own state when I was a child”. I'm tellin' ya!

Is there a name for this need for liberals to grossly exaggerate a threat in order to prove they need to stand against it?
                              And how about the numerous race crime hoaxes that have cropped up in recent years?
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                According to this report there are only about 3,000 Klan members in the whole USA and their numbers are declining.

https://www.adl.org/sites/default/fi...f-kkk-2016.pdf

Comment