Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    It's cute that you think God's Not Dead is a documentary.
    It's bizarre that you'd think that Christians having at least a basic knowledge of apologetics is in some way the same as thinking that God's Not Dead is a documentary.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      It's bizarre that you'd think that Christians having at least a basic knowledge of apologetics is in some way the same as thinking that God's Not Dead is a documentary.
      Wait.... it's NOT?!?!?!?!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Poor forgotten Coast Guard...
        Yeah, they so often get left out. And now there's that new branch that will never get serious recognition -- the Space Force?

Will they have uniforms and marching formations? What kind of weapons will they be issued?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Re: The film God's Not Dead

One critique of the film (see the wiki page) is that it paints academics as arrogant and cruel, liberals as preening and snarky, unbelievers as disbelieving because of personal demons. It is characterization as caricature.... an echo chamber with a sense of claustrophobia. Answers in Genesis did not give rave reviews, noting the nature Christian could the film as a teaching opportunity.

Given the post about students being unprepared for challenges (hey, once we let Genesis be interpreted in any way less than literally, the whole gospel goes down the tubes), maybe the post has some validity.

God's Not Dead may not be seen as a literal documentary, but is a commonly accepted trope https://www.patheos.com/blogs/christ...this-trope-is/

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Yeah, they so often get left out. And now there's that new branch that will never get serious recognition -- the Space Force?

Will they have uniforms and marching formations? What kind of weapons will they be issued?
            What kind of weapons? Lightsabers, obviously! Don't you know anything?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              There are far, far more blasters than light sabers.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Poor forgotten Coast Guard...
                The Coast Guard is almost like part cop, part EMS, and part military. It’s an interesting animal, for sure and really, if we get technical, the US had 7 uniformed service branches.
                Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 12-13-2019, 06:27 AM.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  The Coast Guard is almost like part cop, part EMS, and part military. It’s an interesting animal, for sure.
                  I guess the same could be said about the National Guard as well.

Comment

And the THEME Music...... come on!!!

Comment

The Coast Guard is almost like part cop, part EMS, and part military. It’s an interesting animal, for sure and really, if we get technical, the US had 7 uniformed service branches.
                      I was sure glad they were there to rescue me when a friend and I decided to swim from Cleveland, Ohio to Canada.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                        Re: The film God's Not Dead

One critique of the film (see the wiki page) is that it paints academics as arrogant and cruel, liberals as preening and snarky, unbelievers as disbelieving because of personal demons. It is characterization as caricature.... an echo chamber with a sense of claustrophobia. Answers in Genesis did not give rave reviews, noting the nature Christian could the film as a teaching opportunity.

Given the post about students being unprepared for challenges (hey, once we let Genesis be interpreted in any way less than literally, the whole gospel goes down the tubes), maybe the post has some validity.

God's Not Dead may not be seen as a literal documentary, but is a commonly accepted trope https://www.patheos.com/blogs/christ...this-trope-is/
                        Like I said, I've never seen it. My exposure to contemporary college life for the past several years is working events at a local major university where everything is tolerated except conservative and Christian points of view which are largely treated with contempt and disdain

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I guess the same could be said about the National Guard as well.
                          Yep, their status depends on if they are under orders or not. Full time guard members often have both a civilian DoD ID card and a military ID card. It’s funny because you can be a tech, like everyone else Mon-Fri, but outrank everyone else on Guard weekends or while under orders.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Two uniformed services which get overlooked are the health service and NOAA (National Oceanic and Admospheric Commissiined Officers).

The Coasties served in the War on Terror, such as manning port security positions.

NOAA is controversial, most all the officers are admirals and so get the perks such as retirement, etc. There are no enlisted ranks, the ships are manned by government employees who are unionized. In a national emergency, the idea is that the ships could be sent where needed, which includes in harm's way. Which is unlikely.

At least the health services are different, medical and nursing do take a front line, first responder position. Which may include harm's way. I have little objection to the health service being uniformed. NOAa, on the other hand.........

Comment

Like I said, I've never seen it. My exposure to contemporary college life for the past several years is working events at a local major university where everything is tolerated except conservative and Christian points of view which are largely treated with contempt and disdain
                              So treating ideas with contempt and disdain is a bad thing!

For some reason Psychic Missile (or whomever) thought your response followed the depictions closely enough to make the quip about mistaking it as a documentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                                So treating ideas with contempt and disdain is a bad thing!

For some reason Psychic Missile (or whomever) thought your response followed the depictions closely enough to make the quip about mistaking it as a documentary.
                                Treating ideas with contempt and disdain can be a bad thing. In the case of a young Christian away from home for the first time with a poorly grounded faith, it can be devastating, which is what I was referring to when demi conservative mentioned how kids go away to college as Christians and come home as liberals.

As for the "God's Not Dead" movie, I've never seen it and have no idea what it's even about.

Comment