Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's a heartwarming anecdotal story, Shuny. Thank you so very much for sharing it.

Just remember --- an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but an onion a day keeps EVERYBODY away!
    There are also regular demonstrations in Hillsborough and other cities of Confederate flag waving.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Granted - but that wasn't the question. In the South, Lincoln has a more positive than negative reputation - and we all still think the Court was wrong.
      Lincoln was dead set against seeking revenge against the South

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        You imply that they're a bunch of unrepentant racists with a "lot white silk sheets in the closet" (KKK robes) but have friends there. So how long have you been paling around with KKK members?
        There are a lot of unrepentant racists in the Sons of the Confederacy. And there are many who are interested in the history, as well as the genealogy searches (everyone wants to be a descendant of a war hero). The neo Confederate movement does have a large number of racists, the last twenty years has shown the tension between the competing goals of the group

So the discussion is similar to the discussion on the meaning of the Confederate flags and the meaning of the Confederate monuments. The Unite the Right at Charlottesville was about that, as well as the meaning for those ideas for today's politics.

The neoconfederate groups describe Lincoln in terms of a tyrant, which is hardly positive. Many emphasize the goals of the Confederate war effort as defensive, the Union as an aggressor; the south as respecting the spirit of the constitution written by the founding fathers, Lincoln as expanding the central government's prerogatives.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          When I was in History and Civics back in High Skewl other kids would actually use me to fact check what the teacher said.
          I made sure to take History during the summer sessions -- much shorter, so you didn't have to remember dates and names and places as long before the Final.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Granted - but that wasn't the question. In the South, Lincoln has a more positive than negative reputation - and we all still think the Court was wrong.
            Yeah, as with all men, I'm sure we can find some things Lincoln did that we didn't like, but overall -- the man's a legend, and well respected in my part of the South.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

*emphasis mine

Did too, and now you're both wrong.

Lincoln's version of reunification was much better than Reconstruction and, unlike you history ignorant Yankees, every Southerner knows it. My guess is you have no clue why Johnson was impeached.
              Irrelevant, many in the South are still butt hurt for Lincolns leadership in crushing the Souths treasonous insurrection regardless of his post war policy. There are still a lot of John Wilkes Booth types in the South, the Klan, confederate flag wavers, racists, i.e. Lincoln haters, and though their ilk is waning they continue to make themselves known.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Irrelevant, many in the South are still butt hurt for Lincolns leadership in crushing the Souths treasonous insurrection regardless of his post war policy. There are still a lot of John Wilkes Booth types in the South, the Klan, confederate flag wavers, racists, i.e. Lincoln haters, and though their ilk is waning they make still themselves known.
                And you know this, how, exactly? In what part of the South do you reside, Jim? Got any actual cites?

Comment

Irrelevant, many in the South are still butt hurt for Lincolns leadership in crushing the Souths treasonous insurrection regardless of his post war policy. There are still a lot of John Wilkes Booth types in the South, the Klan, confederate flag wavers, racists, i.e. Lincoln haters, and though their ilk is waning they continue to make themselves known.
                  Your prejudice is noted, but if that’s true, why are 3 of the 5 states, with the most military enlistees, former confederate states while 4 of the 5 lowest military enlistees states, all were union states?
                  Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 12-03-2019, 09:46 AM.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    And you know this, how, exactly? In what part of the South do you reside, Jim? Got any actual cites?
                    Whenever I get a new troop, they are likely from a southern state or the Midwest. If the south hates America so much, why join the US military?
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      Whenever I get a new troop, they are likely from a southern state or the Midwest. If the south hates America so much, why join the US military?
                      Lilpix, comprehension, comprehension, learn to read! This is about Southern Conservatives and their feelings toward Lincoln, not about the South and it's feelings about America.

Comment

u
                        No says Southerners hate America, and yes they are flag waving patriots in their own way. just as far as Lincoln is concerned the sympathies range from dislike to hate. They join the military fo, of course several reasons including their own versions of patriotism. Racism and traditional Southern sympathies remain strong. All of the time I have lived in the USA I have lived in the South.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Your prejudice is noted, but if that’s true, why are 3 of the 5 states, with the most military enlistees, former confederate states while 4 of the 5 lowest military enlistees states, all were union states?
                          From Business Insider in 2014:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            u
                            No says Southerners hate America, and yes they are flag waving patriots in their own way. just as far as Lincoln is concerned the sympathies range from dislike to hate. They join the military fo, of course several reasons including their own versions of patriotism. Racism and traditional Southern sympathies remain strong. All of the time I have lived in the USA I have lived in the South.
                            Perhaps you should move to a less prejudiced and bigoted part of the South?

Comment

Lilpix, comprehension, comprehension, learn to read! This is about Southern Conservatives and their feelings toward Lincoln, not about the South and it's feelings about America.

The military leans conservative Jimmy. Now again, why would they join up, in larger numbers, if they hate America?
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                u
                                Patriotism is the number one reason people join the military, that is more diverse than the GP. Got another tall tale to sell?
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment