Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I still have a hard time figuring out how old I am because I lied about my age and joined the Air Force a year early.
    Just imagine how hard it is for mossy to calculate her age. Not only were there no calendars then, the entire Solar System wouldn't be formed for several more billion years

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Just imagine how hard it is for mossy to calculate her age. Not only were there no calendars then, the entire Solar System wouldn't be formed for several more billion years
    No one calculates infinity...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    No one calculates infinity...
    But a couple of the boffins at roguetech recently tried dividing by zero.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    No, you're still conflating civil rights and social engineering.
    Why wasn't the imposition of civil rights legislation a form of social engineering?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Why wasn't the imposition of civil rights legislation a form of social engineering?
    It would be good to note (since I think I'm the one who brought this up in the first place) that 'social engineering' today is not the same context in which I used it.

Today, it means using non-technical means to get what hackers want.

Social engineering is the use of non-technical methods to trick a potential victim into sharing their personal information with a hacker. Hackers use deceptive practices to appeal to their targetís willingness to be helpful in order to obtain passwords, bank account details, and other personal information.

There's also social engineering in political science, and in sociology.

I was referring (and when I use the term, intend to refer) to the sociological sense in which, for example, 'education' introduces a fear of 'the coming ice age' or 'overpopulation' or other things to influence society to be more accepting of birth control, abortion, euthanasia, same-sex marriage, etc...
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It would be good to note (since I think I'm the one who brought this up in the first place) that 'social engineering' today is not the same context in which I used it.

Today, it means using non-technical means to get what hackers want.

Social engineering is the use of non-technical methods to trick a potential victim into sharing their personal information with a hacker. Hackers use deceptive practices to appeal to their targetís willingness to be helpful in order to obtain passwords, bank account details, and other personal information.

There's also social engineering in political science, and in sociology.

I was referring (and when I use the term, intend to refer) to the sociological sense in which, for example, 'education' introduces a fear of 'the coming ice age' or 'overpopulation' or other things to influence society to be more accepting of birth control, abortion, euthanasia, same-sex marriage, etc...
    I doubt that anyone confused the context as personal security.

The civil rights legislation was designed to influence society to be accepting of equality of rights. And it was successful.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I doubt that anyone confused the context as personal security.
    Just pointing out there are at least 3 different contexts in which the term is used.

The civil rights legislation was designed to influence society to be accepting of equality of rights. And it was successful.
    I don't believe that was so much "social engineering" as it was a grassroots effort started by the likes or Rosa Parks, The Tuskegee Airmen, Martin Luther King and others.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

8. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just pointing out there are at least 3 different contexts in which the term is used.

I don't believe that was so much "social engineering" as it was a grassroots effort started by the likes or Rosa Parks, The Tuskegee Airmen, Martin Luther King and others.
    So the civil rights movement started in the forties and fifties?

Maybe it is a good thing that most states dictate some of the curricula, such as black history month.

The civil rights movement started much earlier, the actors which you named were just the ones who became popular and accepted by a large segment of this country.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So the civil rights movement started in the forties and fifties?
    Most movements don't start on a specific date - they tend to be an accumulation of events that move..... that's why it's called a "movement".

Maybe it is a good thing that most states dictate some of the curricula, such as black history month.
    Yeah, sure.

The civil rights movement started much earlier, the actors which you named were just the ones who became popular and accepted by a large segment of this country.
    Which is exactly why I said "the likes of" and "and others".

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've lived all over Texas and haven't run into a single person who hates Lincoln. Never heard any such thing.
    I think, judging from the Confederate Flag thread, that he's talking about the KKK.

I just don't think the KKK are that big anymore.