Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    IMO, Calvin Coolidge was probably the most conservative of any WH occupant. I'm not sure a succeeding president could be so hands-off as he was, as things are so much more complicated today.
    "Conservative" as opposed to "progressive", you mean?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't know where you are accessing this "today's Republican standard". No matter who the subject is, there is always someone further to the right or left to call them a RINO or a DINO. Myself being a Libertarian, I'll let your party decide who is/is not Republican enough.

From my perspective, based on performance as Commander in Chief, Eisenhower was more conservative than any of his successors from either party.
      That may be true, but he'd still be considered a Rino in todays Republican party.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
        That may be true, but he'd still be considered a Rino in todays Republican party.
        This is one of those fun talking points because it's impossible to prove or disprove.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          This is one of those fun talking points because it's impossible to prove or disprove.
          And absolutely positively useless.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            And absolutely positively useless.
            Not useless, but informative for how we view the term conservative across time.

Eisenhower was the golfing President, always at the links. And many viewed him as a "hands off" and a poor president, even a commie sympathizer (John Birch Society was influential at the time). That view definitely changed after historians poured over the archives. Ike was a military general, who used the general staff system to great effect in war, so it makes sense that he would adopt what he was familiar with.

Coolidge, a hero for today's conservatives was from a different era, coming to national attention as a governor who declined federal aid after a disastrous flood. He rebuffedfederal,aid with a terse "We can take care of our own".

Ike called in federal troops into Little Rock, the ultimate exercise of federal power, effectively killing off the old reserve system of Guard troops being beholden to the governor.

Nixon became the standard bearer for Republicans and conservatives, h e was a fierce anti communist. Next was Reagan who defined conservatism for a half century. Bush lost conservatis and Christians with his "compassionate conservatism". But was that really counter to conservative principles held at the time?

We see a shift in what and who represents some ideal conservatism, whose platform propels conservatives to the polls. Mit Romney failed to excite any conservative base.

Today we can contrast Romney and Trump. One is a conservative icon, the other a Rino.
            Last edited by simplicio; 12-06-2019, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              "Conservative" as opposed to "progressive", you mean?
              Sure. Relatively, Coolidge didn't do much while in office, which is what defines a conservative IMO.

Comment

Sure. Relatively, Coolidge didn't do much while in office, which is what defines a conservative IMO.
                agreed

Comment

I don't agree with that definition at all. There's nothing about conservatism (politically and morally speaking) that implies stagnation.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                    Not useless, but informative for how we view the term conservative across time.
                    I assumed it was meant as "useless since it is subjective".

Eisenhower was the golfing President, always at the links.
                    Seems like they all do that.

And many viewed him as a "hands off" and a poor president, even a commie sympathizer (John Birch Society was influential at the time).
                    For some reason, the John Birch Society was trying to get me to join their organization in the 1980s (I don't know why they targeted me). But judging by the literature they were leaving at my door, they think most people to their left are commie sympathizers.

That view definitely changed after historians poured over the archives. Ike was a military general, who used the general staff system to great effect in war, so it makes sense that he would adopt what he was familiar with.

Coolidge, a hero for today's conservatives was from a different era, coming to national attention as a governor who declined federal aid after a disastrous flood. He rebuffedfederal,aid with a terse "We can take care of our own".

Ike called in federal troops into Little Rock, the ultimate exercise of federal power, effectively killing off the old reserve system of Guard troops being beholden to the governor.
                    He was enforcing the Constitution.

Nixon became the standard bearer for Republicans and conservatives, h e was a fierce anti communist.
                    Huh? Care to elaborate?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I don't agree with that definition at all. There's nothing about conservatism (politically and morally speaking) that implies stagnation.
                      It is justified "stagnation" when change isn't called for.

Would you mind defining the term as you understand it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        I didn't see it as stagnation, but as keeping traditional values and not allowing the liberals to do all their moronic social engineering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                          It is justified "stagnation" when change isn't called for.

Would you mind defining the term as you understand it?
                          To me it means actively promoting and defending traditional moral values.

In American football, a coach who gets the lead and then tries to manage the game to keep the other team from winning is considered "conservative", but I don't think that translates well to social policy. In my opinion, a real conservative is someone who "runs the score up", as it were, and leaves his opponents so far behind that they have no hope of ever catching up. For too long, conservatives in the US have tried to play the game by keeping one step ahead of the liberals when we should have been sprinting for the goal line instead, leaving our opponents in the dust.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            I assumed it was meant as "useless since it is subjective".

Seems like they all do that.

For some reason, the John Birch Society was trying to get me to join their organization in the 1980s (I don't know why they targeted me). But judging by the literature they were leaving at my door, they think most people to their left are commie sympathizers.

He was enforcing the Constitution.

Huh? Care to elaborate?
                            Nixon was considered a conservative in the 1960 and 68 elctions, and arguably considered the standard bearer of the Republican party. He rose to prominence for his role in combating communism. After China fell to Mao, Nixon helped lead the charge against the red and lavender threats in the Unamerican Activities subcommittee and and as right hand man for the McCarthy hearing, along with the Pumpkin Papers fiasco (Whitaker Chambers was a communist).

Some cast doubt on Nixon's bona fides as a conservative.

Yes he was enforcing the constitution. But it was a bold move to use Army troops. Eisenhower prepared the ground before sending in the 101 div to Little Rock. He consulted with his staff, the Army staff, and talked to many politicians so that it would not blow up in his face. The principle of states rights as secondary to federal prerogatives was not settled, in may ways Eisenhower settled it at Little Rock.

He federalized the Arkansas National Guard, stripping it of it legal status. (in order to get them to stand down, they were moved away from the school). I do not know if that was allowed under law.

Governor Orval Faubus called up the Guard at the beginning of September to block the black students. After Eisenhower called in the Army, there was still the possibility that Army troops would oppose National Guard and local cotizens. It was a tense situation.
                            Last edited by simplicio; 12-06-2019, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                              Nixon was considered a conservative in the 1960 and 68 elctions,
                              He was running against Kennedy and Johnson. Of course he was considered conservative.

and arguably considered the standard bearer of the Republican party. He rose to prominence for his role in combating communism. After China fell to Mao, Nixon helped lead the charge against the red and lavender threats in the Unamerican Activities subcommittee and and as right hand man for the McCarthy hearing, along with the Pumpkin Papers fiasco (Whitaker Chambers was a communist).

Some cast doubt on Nixon's bona fides as a conservative.
                              None of that made Nixon a standard bearer of conservatism. With the exception of maybe Carter (who was strong on appeasement), Democrats have always been just as adamant against communism as Republicans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                I didn't see it as stagnation, but as keeping traditional values and not allowing the liberals to do all their moronic social engineering.
                                But leaving existent moronic social engineering in place?
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment