Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Majority of Republicans polled think Trump better than Lincoln

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    In a time of war, but also Bush did too.

Source: https://www.thoughtco.com/bush-lincoln-both-suspended-habeas-corpus-3321847

Why Bush and Lincoln Both Suspended Habeas Corpus
    The differences and similarities in each president's decision

by
    Robert Longley
    Updated August 22, 2019

On Oct. 17, 2006, President George W. Bush signed a law suspending the right of habeas corpus to persons "determined by the United States" to be an "enemy combatant" in the Global War on Terror.

Bush's action drew severe criticism, mainly for the law's failure to specifically designate who in the United States will determine who is and who is not an "enemy combatant."

'A Time of Shame This Is'
    Jonathan Turley, professor of constitutional law at George Washington University, objected to Bush's support for the law—the Military Commissions Act of 2006—and its suspension of writs of habeas corpus. He stated,

"What, really, a time of shame this is for the American system. What the Congress did and what the president signed today essentially revokes over 200 years of American principles and values."

Not the First Time

The Military Commissions Act of 2006 was not the first time the Constitution's guaranteed right to writs of habeas corpus was suspended by an action of a president.

In the early days of the U.S. Civil War President Abraham Lincoln suspended writs of habeas corpus.

Both Bush and Lincoln based their actions on the dangers of war, and both presidents faced sharp criticism for carrying out what many believed to be an attack on the Constitution.

© Copyright Original Source

Like I said, most current day republicans, including those posting, weren't even aware of Lincolns suspension of Habeas corpus, they all loved G. W. Bush. Hmm, wonder what their real reason is for hating Lincoln?

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Rushmore is still on the cards
    Is Trump going to jump?
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Is Trump going to jump?
    Into a one way jet to Russia is my guess.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Like I said, most current day republicans, including those posting, weren't even aware of Lincolns suspension of Habeas corpus, they all loved G. W. Bush. Hmm, wonder what their real reason is for hating Lincoln?
    Many if not most conservative Republicans in the South hate Lincoln for obvious reasons. In North and South Carolina it is almost unanimous, with a lot white silk sheets in the closet flying Confederate flags.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-01-2019 at 05:30 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Many if not most conservative Republicans in the South hate Lincoln for obvious reasons. In North and South Carolina it is almost unanimous, with a lot white silk sheets in the closet flying Confederate flags.
    That was my guess.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    "He's going down this time, really and truly!!!!"

When he doesn't, will you finally let go of your hatred?
    Hatred? You are such a fool. Trump, with the help of people like yourself, has rendered the presidency virtually immune from the rule of law. And the fools rejoice in it, not realizing the danger it represents. Without the capacity to check presidential power, without the capacity to hold the president accountable for his misdeeds, we begin the journey away from what truly makes this country great. Fundamentally, if America is not ruled by its laws, its ideals, its constitution, if one man can rule with impunity and can do whatever he likes without fear of reprisal. Then it is no longer America
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've lived all over Texas and haven't run into a single person who hates Lincoln. Never heard any such thing.
    DuckDuckGo - Privacy Simplified

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Trump, with the help of people like yourself, has rendered the presidency virtually immune from the rule of law.
    Yes, he's not going down. This is an encouraging sign, maybe even genuine progress.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Hatred? You are such a fool. Trump, with the help of people like yourself, has rendered the presidency virtually immune from the rule of law. And the fools rejoice in it, not realizing the danger it represents.
    Because Trump is the first president ever to cite Executive Privilege

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

10. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Because Trump is the first president ever to cite Executive Privilege
    He seems to be the first to try to abuse it on such a vast scale. There have been presidents previously who have tried to hide their sins behind it, but Trump seems to be taking obstruction of justice to a whole new level with it.