• Show
Clear All

• The Draw of Beauty

What difference does beauty make?

Link

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    What difference does beauty make?

Link
    Kind of a weak argument. The Romans and ancient Egyptians had the same philosophy as their empires were in full decline.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      Kind of a weak argument. The Romans and ancient Egyptians had the same philosophy as their empires were in full decline.
      And?

Comment

I have been mulling over the idea of whether objective beauty exists for the last couple of weeks in light of it being raised as a topic in Facebook apologist circles. The obvious question is what the standard is. The one thing that arises feelings of the numinous in me is music; not so much visual art. However, the music that most resonates with me is what my wife (classically trained in music, no less) insists is objectively dissonant and repulsive. I like progressive/symphonic metal. If she is right, what am I to make of my own reactions?

However, I cannot look at a fractal pattern that naturally appears in nature and dismiss this as anything other than beauty endowed in nature by God.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

KG. What would you make of it if you had different moral positions strongly on a certain issue? No moral truth. Strong differences can exist. I'm not a musician so I can't really comment on the music, except that Allie and I radically differ on music. I did just do a Mentionables Podcast and Clinton Wilcox spoke some on music and he's on Facebook as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
            KG. What would you make of it if you had different moral positions strongly on a certain issue? No moral truth. Strong differences can exist. I'm not a musician so I can't really comment on the music, except that Allie and I radically differ on music. I did just do a Mentionables Podcast and Clinton Wilcox spoke some on music and he's on Facebook as well.
            That was the same rejoinder that I saw raised last time this came up but I simply don't think the analogy works. The Bible does define morality in an objective sense so from a Christian perspective we can demonstrate that, presupposing the truth of the worldview that is. The same cannot be said for beauty.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Then do you think you live in a world where there is truly no beauty, not even in God?

Comment