Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Judiciary announces impeachment witnesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Judiciary announces impeachment witnesses

The House Judiciary Committee on Monday unveiled a witness panel of four constitutional scholars for its first impeachment hearing this week.

Titled "The Impeachment Inquiry into President Donald J. Trump: Constitutional Grounds for Presidential Impeachment," Wednesday's hearing will feature testimony from four law professors: Noah Feldman, a professor at Harvard Law School and director of the Julis-Rabinowitz Program on Jewish and Israeli Law; Pamela Karlan, a professor of public interest law at Stanford Law School; Michael Gerhardt, a professor at the University of North Carolina School of Law; and Jonathan Turley, a professor of public interest law at George Washington University Law School.

Turley is also an opinion contributor for The Hill.

Unlike the House Intelligence Committee hearings last month, the witnesses won't offer firsthand accounts of what they knew about Trump's actions with regard to Ukraine. Instead, the constitutional scholars are expected to offer legal analysis.

Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) framed the hearing as an opportunity to "discuss the constitutional framework through which the House may analyze the evidence gathered in the present inquiry."

Source: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...ment-witnesses

Hopefully they will answer a lot of the questions being discussed here.

It looks like that Nadler learned something from the Schiff circus and is at the very least trying for a veneer of respectability.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm not sure what these so-called "witnesses" have to do with anything. Just more people to give their opinions when we should be focusing on the facts. Of course if Democrats focused on the facts, then they wouldn't have a case, hence the need for more smoke and mirrors.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I'm not sure what these so-called "witnesses" have to do with anything. Just more people to give their opinions when we should be focusing on the facts. Of course if Democrats focused on the facts, then they wouldn't have a case, hence the need for more smoke and mirrors.
        Likely they are there to declare that the impeachment is legitimate which when you think of it is an admission of just how bad things are going for the Democrats if they feel a need to make that case.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I would like to hear what they have to say. Both sides are currently saying totally different things about the impeachment process so it’ll be good to hear from the experts.

It’ll also be good to get some sort of framework to work with so the public could follow the progress. One side is saying ‘not enough evidence’ and the other is saying overwhelming evidence but no one has stated what the actual required elements that need to be proven are.

Also knowing what the burden of proof threshold is would be nice.

Comment

Notice they are using professors from liberal colleges as "witnesses" instead of actual lawyers or judges. They just want someone to agree with them. "See? we have experts who say we should impeach!"

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Likely they are there to declare that the impeachment is legitimate which when you think of it is an admission of just how bad things are going for the Democrats if they feel a need to make that case.
              OK, kinda like "Now that we've absolutely made a mess of this impeachment thing, maybe these boys can help us look like we're getting back on track"?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                I would like to hear what they have to say. Both sides are currently saying totally different things about the impeachment process so it’ll be good to hear from the experts.

It’ll also be good to get some sort of framework to work with so the public could follow the progress. One side is saying ‘not enough evidence’ and the other is saying overwhelming evidence but no one has stated what the actual required elements that need to be proven are.

Yeah, the problem is that the Constitution itself says so little about impeachment, and is rather vague...

Article 1, Section 2
                The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

Article 1, Section 3
                The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

Article 2, Section 2
                The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

Article 2, Section 4
                The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Article 3, Section 2
                The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I suppose there's some value in laying the groundwork, but that should have been done at the start of the process and not months later, and I have serious questions about the objectivity of the list of "witnesses". At the very least, it seems the case should be presented by two legal experts who agree with impeachment, and two who disagree. As it is, it's three against one, and the one is a bit of a wildcard rather than firmly opposed. This has all the appearances of simply continuing Shifty Schiff's circus, where they're not following the evidence where it leads but trying to back-fill the case to prop up the verdict that they want.
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-03-2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

The facts are pretty well established and we know that Trump is obstructing further investigation because he would only unveil more damaging details. He is going to rely on his “witch hunt” defense because he has nothing else.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Of course Democrats have defined "obstruction" to include an innocent man using legal means to defend himself against false accusations.

"While we can not prove that any horses were actually stolen, we want to charge the defendant with obstruction for not consenting to be hanged for it!"

Comment

The House Judiciary Committee on Monday unveiled a witness panel of four constitutional scholars for its first impeachment hearing this week.

Titled "The Impeachment Inquiry into President Donald J. Trump: Constitutional Grounds for Presidential Impeachment," Wednesday's hearing will feature testimony from four law professors: Noah Feldman, a professor at Harvard Law School and director of the Julis-Rabinowitz Program on Jewish and Israeli Law; Pamela Karlan, a professor of public interest law at Stanford Law School; Michael Gerhardt, a professor at the University of North Carolina School of Law; and Jonathan Turley, a professor of public interest law at George Washington University Law School.

Turley is also an opinion contributor for The Hill.

Unlike the House Intelligence Committee hearings last month, the witnesses won't offer firsthand accounts of what they knew about Trump's actions with regard to Ukraine. Instead, the constitutional scholars are expected to offer legal analysis.

Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) framed the hearing as an opportunity to "discuss the constitutional framework through which the House may analyze the evidence gathered in the present inquiry."

Source: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...ment-witnesses

Hopefully they will answer a lot of the questions being discussed here.
                        Seriously? They're holding a symposium in the guise of congressional hearings?!?!?!

Well, if rock bottom ratings are the goal, this should work...
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          It looks like that Nadler learned something from the Schiff circus and is at the very least trying for a veneer of respectability.
                          No, it looks like he's totally lost his mind.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I would agree in principle if they hadn't begun the process first. Regardless, I expect you're going to be very disappointed. I doubt they'll touch on the elements - they need a clear charge for that and evidently, none are doing well in focus groups...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Notice they are using professors from liberal colleges as "witnesses" instead of actual lawyers or judges. They just want someone to agree with them. "See? we have experts who say we should impeach!"
                              Aren't you supposed to be laying off the impeachment stuff?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment