Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ‘Richard Jewell’ Crucifies Fake News, Honors the Heartland

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Don't be dissin' Bob Ross.

I have been watching his videos to learn how to oil paint.
    Must...resist...

No, but seriously, that's cool. As a fine artist, my dad had issues with Ross as well (for completely different reasons than he had with Mr. Rogers), but I know a couple people who used his paint technique to help rehabilitate themselves from drug abuse, or to give themselves purpose after retirement. Anything that helps people become more creative is great with me.

2. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Must...resist...

No, but seriously, that's cool. As a fine artist, my dad had issues with Ross as well (for completely different reasons than he had with Mr. Rogers), but I know a couple people who used his paint technique to help rehabilitate themselves from drug abuse, or to give themselves purpose after retirement. Anything that helps people become more creative is great with me.
    He used to make three paintings for each show. One was done before the show as a reference, the second during the show, and the third, very detailed for instructional purposes. The last one was really good. You can see them in his instruction books. And they look way better than the rushed 1/2 hour version on the TV show.

4. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He used to make three paintings for each show. One was done before the show as a reference, the second during the show, and the third, very detailed for instructional purposes. The last one was really good. You can see them in his instruction books. And they look way better than the rushed 1/2 hour version on the TV show.
    Kinda reminds me of those bakers on TV --- put the item in the oven, and instantly pull out a completely baked one from the other oven.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Kinda reminds me of those bakers on TV --- put the item in the oven, and instantly pull out a completely baked one from the other oven.
    That reminds me of the old joke about the Kansas farmer who won a trip to the big city for the first time in his life. He saw an old lady get on an elevator, which he had never seen before, and a pretty 20 something woman got out a minute later. So he calls his wife over...
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

7. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    That reminds me of the old joke about the Kansas farmer who won a trip to the big city for the first time in his life. He saw an old lady get on an elevator, which he had never seen before, and a pretty 20 something woman got out a minute later. So he calls his wife over...
    And we could go on....

"Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OK, seems not to be doing so well...

'Richard Jewell' Falls Flat

Heading into the weekend, both Black Christmas and Richard Jewell were expected to debut in the $10 million range, if not higher.

Instead, Richard Jewell only took in $5 million despite an A CinemaScore, making it the second-worst nationwide opening ever for a pic directed by Eastwood behind 1980's Bronco Billy, which posted a first weekend gross of $3.7 million not adjusted for inflation, according to Comscore.

The last time one of the filmmaker's movies debuted wide to less than $6 million was in 1999, when True Crime came in at $5.2 million, not adjusted for inflation.

While Eastwood's pics generally enjoy strong multiples, Richard Jewell will have trouble recovering against a budget of $40 million before marketing. Last year, Eastwood's The Mule debuted on the same weekend to $17.5 million on its way to earning $103.8 million domestically (he also starred in the crime drama).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OK, seems not to be doing so well...

'Richard Jewell' Falls Flat

Heading into the weekend, both Black Christmas and Richard Jewell were expected to debut in the $10 million range, if not higher.

Instead, Richard Jewell only took in $5 million despite an A CinemaScore, making it the second-worst nationwide opening ever for a pic directed by Eastwood behind 1980's Bronco Billy, which posted a first weekend gross of $3.7 million not adjusted for inflation, according to Comscore.

The last time one of the filmmaker's movies debuted wide to less than $6 million was in 1999, when True Crime came in at $5.2 million, not adjusted for inflation.

While Eastwood's pics generally enjoy strong multiples, Richard Jewell will have trouble recovering against a budget of $40 million before marketing. Last year, Eastwood's The Mule debuted on the same weekend to $17.5 million on its way to earning $103.8 million domestically (he also starred in the crime drama).
    I would say it's because nobody really wants to watch a political movie around Christmas.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I would say it's because nobody really wants to watch a political movie around Christmas.
    Could well be.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    ‘Richard Jewell’ Crucifies Fake News, Honors the Heartland

Has anybody seen the movie? Planning on it?

You ready to start fighting back?”

Sam Rockwell asks the title character that question deep into “Richard Jewell.”

The Clint Eastwood film recalls how the FBI and media aligned to punish a security guard who saved lives at the 1996 Summer Olympics. Only the film feels like Eastwood is channeling a certain Commander in Chief.

Conservatives have spent the last three years fighting against a culture calling them racist, sexist, homophobic and more. They’ve been maligned for wanting to keep the borders secure and jobs from fleeing overseas. Reporters and celebrities alike led the charge against Red State America, forgoing the truth for progressive narratives.

It’s well past time for a Hollywood movie to take their side. Only a rebel like Eastwood could fight back in Oscar-worthy fashion.

Rogue, what's the word on this in your neck of the woods?
    You should compare this error to the many times they get it right before criticizing in general.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    You should compare this error to the many times they get it right before criticizing in general.
    Actually, it's their JOB to "get it right" - as opposed to the many times they get it completely wrong, and even admit they will not even try to maintain the appearance of lack of bias.