Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 724

Thread: Little Greta comes clean

  1. #31
    tWebber Starlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,125
    Amen (Given)
    2785
    Amen (Received)
    1753
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    That it's become a sanctimonious, hypocritical, judgemental cult intermingled with absurd sociopolitical and unattainable economic proposals is doing more harm than fossil fuel company funding could ever do.
    Don't confuse a few activists you personally find annoying that you happen to have interacted with or heard from where you live, with a scientific theory acknowledged by the governments and scientists of every country on earth.

    That's why it'll never be accepted regardless of the science behind it.
    So... you're saying you don't accept things based on the quality of scientific evidence, but on how a few activists make you feel?

    As to your statement that "it'll never be accepted"...
    I'm just going to remind you that every single country on earth, all 195 of them, have signed the Paris Agreement accepting the existence of climate change and committing to a framework that will produce plans to address it. A look at international opinion polling on the subject shows a majority of people in all developed countries are concerned about it (in developing countries some people haven't heard of the issue, but a majority of those who know of the issue are concerned about it). So in the ways that matter, it's already accepted. Do you mean "I know my family and friends and can assure you that there'll always be a few crazy people in my part of America who won't accept it"? Okay.
    Last edited by Starlight; 12-04-2019 at 02:18 AM.

  2. #32
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,531
    Amen (Given)
    262
    Amen (Received)
    1058
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Don't confuse a few activists you personally find annoying that you happen to have interacted with or heard from where you live, with a scientific theory acknowledged by the governments and scientists of every country on earth.

    So... you're saying you don't accept things based on the quality of scientific evidence, but on how a few activists make you feel?

    As to your statement that "it'll never be accepted"...
    I'm just going to remind you that every single country on earth, all 195 of them, have signed the Paris Agreement accepting the existence of climate change and committing to a framework that will produce plans to address it. A look at international opinion polling on the subject shows a majority of people in all developed countries are concerned about it (in developing countries some people haven't heard of the issue, but a majority of those who know of the issue are concerned about it). So in the ways that matter, it's already accepted. Do you mean "I know my family and friends and can assure you that there'll always be a few crazy people in my part of America who won't accept it"? Okay.
    Well, sure, if you want to interpret a bunch leaders (governmental elitists) of countries who fly around in luxury jets signing some agreement between themselves, then yeah, I guess you can say it's "accepted." That's the easy part. Implementing it on the masses so that it actually has an effect is what won't work, and it's not meeting expectations for the reasons I gave earlier.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

  3. #33
    radical strawberry
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Humanist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,681
    Amen (Given)
    506
    Amen (Received)
    1109
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Note that in-thread, "environmentalist" has had adjectives like "fanatical" and "watermelon" appended to it in describing those who advocate extreme measures. You're picking a fight here, and I'm not sure why.
    Wait, wait ... it's not the folks using "fanatical" and "watermelon" and "communist" picking the fight?

    I need more coffee.

    I can't believe I missed that.

    Greta Thunberg Sinks Five Oil Tankers & Hijacks Two Merchant Ships Loaded With Plastic During Journey Across The Atlantic

    Acting with truly inspiring cruelty and vengeance despite her young age, Greta Thunberg has already downed five tankers and hijacked several merchant ships with plastic-laden containers during her journey across the Atlantic.

    The young activist, who is due in Madrid today to attend the Climate Summit held from the 2nd-13th of December, has given orders to chase, sink, board and assault all the ships she considers enemies and a threat to the nature.

    The Plymouth, the Thunberg ship, is a very light sailboat, which gives it a key strategic advantage when facing off with the large ships that cross the ocean so cumbersome they are ill-suited to repelling the attacks, according to some maritime navigation experts WWN spoke to.

    Little is known of the ships that have sunk, been hijacked or looted. The captain of a merchant assaulted by Thunberg had time to send a brief distress message that does not give details about the fate of the crew or their cargo:

    “The Plymouth came out of nowhere. No warning. It carried no flag. Two days of being pursued. It came out of the mist, surprised us. We are shipwrecked. We are shipwrecked. There’s nothing to do. I hear her laugh. She’s already on board. God help us.”

    In the last hour, sources close to The Plymouth have informed WWN that, as Thunberg approached the Spanish port of Vigo where she was set to disembark she noticed the city’s lights shining with more intensity than necessary and so gave the orders to bomb and destroy the city.

  4. #34
    radical strawberry
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Humanist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,681
    Amen (Given)
    506
    Amen (Received)
    1109
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Speaking of the patriarchy, no thread about Greta is complete without a visit from Spanky.

  5. #35
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    10,247
    Amen (Given)
    1539
    Amen (Received)
    3401
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Don't confuse a few activists you personally find annoying that you happen to have interacted with or heard from where you live, with a scientific theory acknowledged by the governments and scientists of every country on earth.

    So... you're saying you don't accept things based on the quality of scientific evidence, but on how a few activists make you feel?

    As to your statement that "it'll never be accepted"...
    I'm just going to remind you that every single country on earth, all 195 of them, have signed the Paris Agreement accepting the existence of climate change and committing to a framework that will produce plans to address it. A look at international opinion polling on the subject shows a majority of people in all developed countries are concerned about it (in developing countries some people haven't heard of the issue, but a majority of those who know of the issue are concerned about it). So in the ways that matter, it's already accepted. Do you mean "I know my family and friends and can assure you that there'll always be a few crazy people in my part of America who won't accept it"? Okay.
    One should always be weary of wealth redistribution schemes where you need to act right now or else, that contain very little ‘green deal’ and very much ‘social justice’.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  6. #36
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25,995
    Amen (Given)
    1907
    Amen (Received)
    5401
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Speaking of the patriarchy, no thread about Greta is complete without a visit from Spanky.
    Thank you, I try...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  7. #37
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,089
    Amen (Given)
    5161
    Amen (Received)
    22719
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Wait, wait ... it's not the folks using "fanatical" and "watermelon" and "communist" picking the fight?

    I need more coffee.

    I can't believe I missed that.

    Greta Thunberg Sinks Five Oil Tankers & Hijacks Two Merchant Ships Loaded With Plastic During Journey Across The Atlantic

    Acting with truly inspiring cruelty and vengeance despite her young age, Greta Thunberg has already downed five tankers and hijacked several merchant ships with plastic-laden containers during her journey across the Atlantic.

    The young activist, who is due in Madrid today to attend the Climate Summit held from the 2nd-13th of December, has given orders to chase, sink, board and assault all the ships she considers enemies and a threat to the nature.

    The Plymouth, the Thunberg ship, is a very light sailboat, which gives it a key strategic advantage when facing off with the large ships that cross the ocean so cumbersome they are ill-suited to repelling the attacks, according to some maritime navigation experts WWN spoke to.

    Little is known of the ships that have sunk, been hijacked or looted. The captain of a merchant assaulted by Thunberg had time to send a brief distress message that does not give details about the fate of the crew or their cargo:

    “The Plymouth came out of nowhere. No warning. It carried no flag. Two days of being pursued. It came out of the mist, surprised us. We are shipwrecked. We are shipwrecked. There’s nothing to do. I hear her laugh. She’s already on board. God help us.”

    In the last hour, sources close to The Plymouth have informed WWN that, as Thunberg approached the Spanish port of Vigo where she was set to disembark she noticed the city’s lights shining with more intensity than necessary and so gave the orders to bomb and destroy the city.

  8. #38
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,978
    Amen (Given)
    462
    Amen (Received)
    1812
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Did you watch the video, Jim? In Greta's own words, "It's not just about the environment. It's a crisis of human rights, injustice and political will. Colonial, racist and PATRIARCHAL systems of oppression have created and fueled it. We need to dismantle them all".

    Did you hear the part about her half a million dollar catamaran and the fetching of the pilot of that boat BY PLANE from London? That is the height of hypocrisy.

    If you can't bother to watch the video that discusses these things, then you have no business in this thread and I'll ask you to leave.

    One more thing. Until you understand the implications on the environmental religious fanatics on those who work and have spent their lives trying to support their families in the oil patch, as my husband has done, then you have absolutely nothing to say to me about it.
    I'll leave if that is what you really want - but it says a lot more about you than me if you enforce that based on the comments I made.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  9. #39
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    21,614
    Amen (Given)
    6433
    Amen (Received)
    12247
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Wait, wait ... it's not the folks using "fanatical" and "watermelon" and "communist" picking the fight?

    I need more coffee.

    I can't believe I missed that.
    <snippety snip snip>
    Despite your lampooning the idea, yeah. "Communist" is perhaps going a bit far, though in practice socialism and communism aren't especially distinguishable. Maybe you could point me to all the devout environmentalists who aren't advocating massive government intervention and control to improve the environment.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  10. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  11. #40
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    21,368
    Amen (Given)
    16213
    Amen (Received)
    9919
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I'll leave if that is what you really want - but it says a lot more about you than me if you enforce that based on the comments I made.

    Jim, I apologize for my anger. This is a sore issue with me because of where I live and how my husband made his living (and not a particularly lucrative one, but sufficient for us to raise our family) for 42 years and I do get frustrated by the rhetoric about if from environmentalists and liberal types.

    You are all free to post here.

    Last edited by mossrose; 12-04-2019 at 08:02 AM.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  12. Amen Juvenal, Cow Poke, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •