Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Greta comes clean

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    This is actually not true anymore. Or at least, it's turning the other way radically with younger generations of environmentalists. If you go onto a heavy left leaning website like Reddit they'll rip into you if you suggest that nuclear energy is dangerous. They whole-heartedly believe it's the answer to the energy issue on earth. What's stranger is that many of them actually believe that it's the right that is against nuclear energy. Most of them are too young to remember it used to be a left-leaning issue, and they naturally assume that everything that's anti-science is Conservative (it's also a reason they think the anti-vax crowd is largely right-leaning as well, even though it started on the left and only recently moved into the right).
    not sure how representative of the actual left reddit is. but that is interesting.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Indeed.

But The problem doesn't come from trying to do the right thing or because the problem doesn't exist. So saying plastic in the oceans is not a problem is head in the sand sort of stuff. But understanding what the best response is to these problems is not always trivial, and the fact the 'correct' answer might wander around a bit is not an excuse to ignore the issue or deduce it is not serious.
    Isn't plastic in the ocean a different issue? Plastic in the oceans is a problem that can be solved a whole lot easier than saying the world is doomed in 12 years unless we radically alter the entire infrastructure of the global industrial economy.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Isn't plastic in the ocean a different issue? Plastic in the oceans is a problem that can be solved a whole lot easier than saying the world is doomed in 12 years unless we radically alter the entire infrastructure of the global industrial economy.
    yep. and the solution is to stop dumping plastic into the ocean, not stop using plastic. Not to mention most of the plastic in the ocean doesn't come from the USA. Most of it comes from Asia.

But specifically, scientists say, the bulk of the garbage patch trash comes from China and other Asian countries.

This shouldn't be a surprise: Overall, worldwide, most of the plastic trash in the ocean comes from Asia. In fact, the top six countries for ocean garbage are China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam, Sri Lanka and Thailand, according to a 2015 study in the journal Science.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...me/1133838002/

4. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    not sure how representative of the actual left reddit is. but that is interesting.
    I think they're a great sample pool for left-leaning Millennials. In fact, it's one of the issues I remember them combating Bernie Sanders on in his AMA in 2015 even though the website mostly supported him. Here's a top post on the subject:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...tic_candidate/

Hello Sen. Sanders,

While I understand your stance on nuclear power is (forgive me for paraphrasing) something along the lines of “old reactors are bad, why are we (as taxpayers) spending money to keep them going?”, I have not yet found any quotes from you regarding new nuclear energy technology. Could you give some opinions on emerging nuclear technology, such as reactors with passive safety mechanisms, the ability to consume spent fuel rods from other (pressurized water) plants, and fusion? Since nuclear power has close to the lowest amount of human deaths per kilowatt hour of electricity generated ( http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamescon...always-paid/2/ ) , is it fair to cut all taxpayer funding to developing newer forms of nuclear power while subsidizing others?

For the record I am hopeful that you will win in 2016 regardless of whether or not we see eye to eye on this issue. Thank you for your time.
    They made it known they were not so happy with his answer.

6. Amen Sparko, seer amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Sounds to me like you have very good reasons to be angry about the sort of naive approach to environmentalism that Thunberg represents - no fault of her own (she's too young to know better or understand why someone in your situation would have cause to oppose what she stands for).

She is old enough to understand that denying other agendas and then announcing them later is going to be seen as hypocritical.

Thanks, good information to know and to help keep things in context.

Jim
    Good response Mossy. it may help Jim start connecting the other dots that he has been missing.

Jim,
    It's this task of making connections that many of us in tweb have been trying to help you do. I hope there are other connections that you start making. Mossy presented many ways that hollywood folks and the media fail to present details accurately. So much hype gets in the media which is based on false premises.

It is fine to be concerned about the environment. But we can't have the concern based on sensationalized sources. I think often we could be on the same side of politics if there were less hype going out. Pray that we can filter through the hype. (the devil likes us to fear the wrong things.)

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    The NDP government, who's model of operation is the communist manifesto, and I am not kidding here
    Um, no.

The rest of what you wrote was interesting, but this part is not in any way true.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Paper is anything but "environmentally friendly"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It's similar to the electric car paradox which depend on rare metals from strip mines and a toxic manufacturing process to produce the batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I saw a "MEGA" series special (Mega Buildings, etc) on these wind turbines, and how much more maintenance was involved in keeping them running than anybody had ever suspected.

There's so much BS about 'greenness' that there's no reason to trust claims that they are actually green or affordable.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Um, no.

The rest of what you wrote was interesting, but this part is not in any way true.
    http://www.poletical.com/a-dark-history-of-the-ndp.php

In 1933, an obscure group known as The Cooperative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) drafted a document entitled The Regina Manifesto. The CCF eventually merged with The Canadian Labour Congress to form the political party that is known today as the New Democratic Party, or NDP.

In 2011, the NDP surged to become Canada's official opposition for the first time in its history, deposing the long standing centrist Liberal Party Of Canada. This sudden and unprecedented wave of support was called The Orange Crush.

Many young Canadians are unfamiliar with the true nature and history of the NDP. Their political ideologies have been well known amongst the party's establishment, but this new wave of supporters have exhibited a disturbing level of ignorance in terms of what the New Democrats have set out to achieve in their goal to fundamentally transform Canada.

The goals of the NDP were set out in 1933 upon the creation of The Regina Manifesto. The Manifesto was eventually replaced with The Winnipeg Declaration to reflect a seemingly less radical version of the CCF's original platform which was largely rejected by Canadians. The Winnipeg Declaration was a more vague and watered down version of the original Manifesto and it used different language to outline what was essentially the very same goals that were originally set fourth by the CCF.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are you suggesting that Dimbulb here knows about as much about Canada as he does about the US? Say it ain't so!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

12. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Are you suggesting that Dimbulb here knows about as much about Canada as he does about the US? Say it ain't so!
    Um.......yes?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.