Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273

Thread: Little Greta comes clean

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Thanks. For the life of me I couldn't figure it out.
    I'd stated it earlier - Freedom of Association.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I went to Navy Boot Camp in 80's. Some of the recruits did speak the dialect known a Eubonics. So I do have some familiarity with it. Several in my company came from Louisiana and Mississippi. Nowadays with all the social media and entertainment, this dialect is rare.

tWebber
    Faith
    Nunya
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    The best was a PBS documentary - they included historic recordings that are incredible. LoC has some stuff as well - and the dispora of the early 20th Century is well documented.
    thank you. do you know the name of the documentary? loc = library of congress, right?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OingoBoingo View Post
    thank you. do you know the name of the documentary? loc = library of congress, right?
    ... I DID know it... I'll get back to you when I track it back down. It had to do with the variations of American English and not specifically politics. Would be pre-2008 - 2006 or so, maybe (that just may be when I saw it and not a production date but it definitely predates 2008).

Yes, LOC is the Library of Congress.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I started readin "Deeply Odd" by Dean Koontz the other night, and when I read this paragraph on page 22 it made me immediately think of Greta.

But the line between moral behavior and narcissistic self-righteousness is thin and difficult to discern. The man who stands before a crowd and proclaims his intention to save the seas is convinced that he is superior to a man who merely picks up his own and other people’s litter on the beach, when in fact the latter is in some small way sure to make the world a better place, while the former is likely to be a monster of vanity whose crusade will lead to unintended destruction.

http://thefreenovelsread.com/deeply-odd/page-2-1020315

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I started readin "Deeply Odd" by Dean Koontz the other night, and when I read this paragraph on page 22 it made me immediately think of Greta.

But the line between moral behavior and narcissistic self-righteousness is thin and difficult to discern. The man who stands before a crowd and proclaims his intention to save the seas is convinced that he is superior to a man who merely picks up his own and other people’s litter on the beach, when in fact the latter is in some small way sure to make the world a better place, while the former is likely to be a monster of vanity whose crusade will lead to unintended destruction.

Dean Koontz is a great writer, considering he is a fiction writer. I find it significant that he juxtaposes moral uprightness with self righteousness, not immorality. The Bible addresses both immoral and self righteous behavior, dealing harshly with both.

Maybe one difference is that immoral or amoral behavior contains its own self awareness that something is wrong. Self righteousness is presumptuous. The immoral person must face the internal and inherent contradictions, never secure in his position.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post

Funny. "Narcissistic self-righteousness" and "monster of vanity whose crusade will lead to unintended destruction," makes me think of Trump. Whereas the person who picks up her "own and other people’s litter on the beach" is more akin to Greta playing her small part in promoting awareness of the devastating effects of climate change.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This thread isn't about Trump, Tassy. Even though it's gone way off topic, it's about Greta, and her real motives, and even her hypocrisy.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.