Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Little Greta comes clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

This is very possible. But can you at least acknowledge that one of the reasons we are headed that way in a fashion that may in fact be sufficient to help is because a large number of people take seriously the consequences of not doing something about it, as opposed, say, to just dismissing it as 'alarmism'?
    Where is God in any of your reasoning Jim? Do you think God will allow men to destroy the world? No, because that His job.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I can't prove a negative, Charles. But I know LOTS of Christians, and am very much involved in the leadership of the largest protestant denomination in the US --- This notion Christians believe that "don't worry, God will just take care of it, Jesus will return before things get too bad" is just nutty. I don't know a single person who advocates that.

It would be up to Tassman to prove that this is actually a common notion among Christians.
      No - it's not nutty CP. I've seen those same words expressed here on this web site. This forum or Nat Sci. And I've heard it expressed out there in the real world. There are a large number of people that believe mankind is not powerful enough to hurt God's creation - i.e. the Earth. That God won't let us destroy our planet if we want to. And that is why they think AGW is hype. There are others that have been convinced by WattsUP and sites like it (or even less fact based) that AGW is some sort of global science conspiracy - not unlike those that think evolution is some sort of giant science conspiracy.

And there is this really huge contingent, making up a large part of the current GOP, that have this huge distrust of science in general because of these two science conspiracy myths that are often supported by our Christian leaders and lay teachers in our Churches. So much so it is now driving National policy making on the issue because of the large number of Christian leaders in our government that hail from backgrounds influenced by those same Christian leaders and lay teachers who have embraced those same science conspiracy myths.
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-11-2019, 08:23 AM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I can't prove a negative, Charles.
        Neither did I ask you to do that when I pointed out: "Neither could you, seemingly, provide examples in which he is "dishonestly assigning them to broad categories of people, especially if those people are Christians".

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        'But I know LOTS of Christians, and am very much involved in the leadership of the largest protestant denomination in the US --- This notion Christians believe that "don't worry, God will just take care of it, Jesus will return before things get too bad" is just nutty. I don't know a single person who advocates that.
        Here is a single person who also happens to be a Republican congressman. Tim Walberg has said:

“I believe there’s climate change. I believe there’s been climate change since the beginning of time,” Walberg said. “Do I think man has some impact? Yeah, of course. Can man change the entire universe? No.”

He continued: “Why do I believe that? Well, as a Christian, I believe that there is a creator in God who is much bigger than us. And I’m confident that, if there’s a real problem, he can take care of it.” https://time.com/4800000/tim-walberg...limate-change/
        It would be up to Tassman to prove that this is actually a common notion among Christians.
        Much better.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

No - it's not nutty CP. I've seen those same words expressed here on this web site. This forum or Nat Sci. And I've heard it expressed out there in the real world. There are a large number of people that believe mankind is not powerful enough to hurt God's creation - i.e. the Earth. That God won't let us destroy our planet if we want to. And that is why they think AGW is hype. There are others that have been convinced by WattsUP and sites like it (or even less fact based) that AGW is some sort of global science conspiracy - not unlike those that think evolution is some sort of giant science conspiracy.

And there is this really huge contingent, making up a large part of the current GOP, that have this huge distrust of science in general because of these two science conspiracy myths that are often supported by our Christian leaders and lay teachers in our Churches. So much so it is now driving National policy making on the issue because of the large number of Christian leaders in our government that hail from backgrounds influenced by those same Christian leaders and lay teachers who have embraced those same science conspiracy myths.
          No Jim, we just believe that God is more powerful than man and more right than science.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            Where is God in any of your reasoning Jim? Do you think God will allow men to destroy the world? No, because that His job.
            Well there you go. I guess one of the people I heard it from is MM.

Yes MM, if we want to destroy our planet in terms of reducing it's habitability, I believe God will let us do it. We certainly have the power to do so.

Have you noticed God stopping is from hunting animals to extinction?

Have you noticed God stopping us from destroying entire ecosystems, or producing new deserts, or poisoning groundwater or rendering large areas of land unproductive for farming or human habitation?

Have you noticed God stopping is from stopping the flow if large rivers, or cutting down entire mountains to get the mineral wealth under them while polluting the rivers and streams fed from them?

And just how do you know our actions are not the angels of death and sickness in Revelation? IIRC, 1/3 of mankind dies. 1/3 of the creatures in the sea die.
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-11-2019, 08:34 AM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Well there you go. I guess one of the people I heard it from is MM.

Yes MM, if we want to destroy our planet in terms of reducing it's habitability, I believe God will let us do it. We certainly have the power to do so.

And just how do you know our actions are not the angels of death and sickness in Revelation?
              Well if we are the angels of death just remember WHO sent them. And also remember that God will destroy this planet. This is not our home Jim...

Comment

You're actually stating that the phrase "don't worry, God will just take care of it, Jesus will return before things get too bad" is COMMON among Christians?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There are a large number of people that believe mankind is not powerful enough to hurt God's creation - i.e. the Earth. That God won't let us destroy our planet if we want to.
                  Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  I guess one of the people I heard it from is MM.
                  You certainly didn't hear it from me.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• By comparison, fewer white mainline Protestants (41%) view climate change as primarily due to human activity. White evangelical Protestants are least likely to hold this view; 28% among this group say the Earth is warming primarily due to human activity, 33% say the Earth’s warming is mostly due to natural patterns, and 37% say there is no solid evidence that climate change is occurring.
                    https://www.pewresearch.org/science/...energy-issues/
                    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      Neither did I ask you to do that when I pointed out: "Neither could you, seemingly, provide examples in which he is "dishonestly assigning them to broad categories of people, especially if those people are Christians".
                      What is it about you, Charles, that tends to make you want to get in between everybody else and their disagreements? Tassman OFTEN uses quotes of one person to represent whole swaths of society - and he uses lots of adjectives and adverbs to build that person up to make it sound like he's "THE AUTHORITY" on a topic - like he did with Criswell.

It's what his name MEANS! When you look up "Tassman" in the dictionary, it says "one who singles out a single person's quote to unjustly represent broad swaths of society"*.

Here is a single person who also happens to be a Republican congressman. Tim Walberg has said:
                      Yeah, a SINGLE PERSON.

Much better.
                      Been much better all along!

*ok, I may have just totally made that up
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What is it about you, Charles, that tends to make you want to get in between everybody else and their disagreements? Tassman OFTEN uses quotes of one person to represent whole swaths of society - and he uses lots of adjectives and adverbs to build that person up to make it sound like he's "THE AUTHORITY" on a topic - like he did with Criswell.

It's what his name MEANS! When you look up "Tassman" in the dictionary, it says "one who singles out a single person's quote to unjustly represent broad swaths of society"*.
                        This statement combined with no examples to support it is rather funny.

Yeah, a SINGLE PERSON.
                        Yep. Never claimed it was more than that.

Been much better all along!
                        I respectfully disagree

*ok, I may have just totally made that up

Comment

• Almost messianic, isn't it.......

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            This statement combined with no examples to support it is rather funny.
                            Criswell was the example. Sorry you were laughing so hard you missed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Well if we are the angels of death just remember WHO sent them. And also remember that God will destroy this planet. This is not our home Jim...
                              But we are its caretakers. And thus we have a responsibility before God, as with all things, to carry out that responsibility as unto the Lord Himself, and without sin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                You certainly didn't hear it from me.
                                He heard it from me...

Comment