Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Greta comes clean

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Thanks for the response.

Did you find a constitution that reasonably can handle a situation where the law makers have become totally corrupt?

I can also understand that attempts to copy the US Constitution to other countries could fail due to cultural differences. But, from what i've seen so far, I would stick with what we have. But I may see what these other constitutions say.
    I think it was John Adams who said that our Constitution is only suited for the governance of a moral and religious society.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Did you find a constitution that reasonably can handle a situation where the law makers have become totally corrupt?
    "Corruption" is a broad category that can refer to a lot of different things. My country is usually ranked as the least corrupt country in the world in international comparisons, but I can't point you to any one thing we do that has that result - rather its a cumulative effect that people in general here have no tolerance for corruption so there are lots of different laws and systems in place to prevent it.

In the US's case, corruption would be reduced by: A ban on lobbyists, public financing of elections, a constitutional amendment to limit/ban political donations, laws around the ways politicians can make money before entering office and after leaving it, a change in the voting system from plurality voting to STV / Instant-run-off, a constitutional change of the federal government from a presidential system to a parliamentary system.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    The Canadian constitution and Charter of Rights and Freedoms is great if you are an atheist and/or a liberal.
    In general I am personally opposed to this sort of constitution. Because it gifts the courts with a lot of power to make mistakes in future by creatively interpreting the rights listed in the constitution in ways the writers never intended, and once they make those mistakes they are very hard to undo. Even if I happen to agree with the moral outcomes of some of the court decisions, I still think the way of getting to those decisions is dangerous for a country because it can just as easily go wrong.

It should be elected politicians who rule on sensitive issues, and who are answerable to the people, and who can be replaced themselves or themselves repeal their decision if the people later decide it was wrong.

But the people can't replace unelected judges if the people think their decisions were wrong. Any sort of constitutional amendment to undo those wrong judicial decisions tends to be incredibly difficult and require in-practice-unattainable super-majorities.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Poor baby...

Greta Thunberg 'ignored' by world leaders at climate summit, admits protests have achieved 'nothing'

https://www.theblaze.com/news/greta-...hieved-nothing
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

5. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    admits protests have achieved 'nothing'
    You wouldn't know it from how angry conservatives online seem to have gotten about it.

7. Amen Psychic Missile amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    You wouldn't know it from how angry conservatives online seem to have gotten about it.
    If that was what she was aiming for then maybe her snarling and grumbling did accomplish something after all.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    If that was what she was aiming for then maybe her snarling and grumbling did accomplish something after all.
    She's a kid that adults elevated to some sort of mouth-piece for the world status because they agree with what she was saying. Your sarcastic snipes at her are misplaced - at the very least.
    He will reply, ĎTruly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Poor baby...

Greta Thunberg 'ignored' by world leaders at climate summit, admits protests have achieved 'nothing'

https://www.theblaze.com/news/greta-...hieved-nothing
    Hard to accomplish much on climate change with the most powerful nation in the world refuses to co-operate and promotes industry funded conspiracy theories instead of science on the topic
    He will reply, ĎTruly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Hard to accomplish much on climate change with the most powerful nation in the world refuses to co-operate and promotes industry funded conspiracy theories instead of science on the topic
    Hey don't blame us, these other industrial countries don't need us to reduce their own carbon levels. But hey - why not blame America first...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    France tried to do something and now they're rioting in the streets. I bet the demonstrations that have lasted for months weren't even funded by BIG OIL. Or... were they
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).