Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Little Greta comes clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Thanks. For the life of me I couldn't figure it out.
    I'd stated it earlier - Freedom of Association.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• I went to Navy Boot Camp in 80's. Some of the recruits did speak the dialect known a Eubonics. So I do have some familiarity with it. Several in my company came from Louisiana and Mississippi. Nowadays with all the social media and entertainment, this dialect is rare.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        The best was a PBS documentary - they included historic recordings that are incredible. LoC has some stuff as well - and the dispora of the early 20th Century is well documented.
        thank you. do you know the name of the documentary? loc = library of congress, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
          thank you. do you know the name of the documentary? loc = library of congress, right?
          ... I DID know it... I'll get back to you when I track it back down. It had to do with the variations of American English and not specifically politics. Would be pre-2008 - 2006 or so, maybe (that just may be when I saw it and not a production date but it definitely predates 2008).

Yes, LOC is the Library of Congress.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• I started readin "Deeply Odd" by Dean Koontz the other night, and when I read this paragraph on page 22 it made me immediately think of Greta.

But the line between moral behavior and narcissistic self-righteousness is thin and difficult to discern. The man who stands before a crowd and proclaims his intention to save the seas is convinced that he is superior to a man who merely picks up his own and other people’s litter on the beach, when in fact the latter is in some small way sure to make the world a better place, while the former is likely to be a monster of vanity whose crusade will lead to unintended destruction.

http://thefreenovelsread.com/deeply-odd/page-2-1020315

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              I started readin "Deeply Odd" by Dean Koontz the other night, and when I read this paragraph on page 22 it made me immediately think of Greta.

But the line between moral behavior and narcissistic self-righteousness is thin and difficult to discern. The man who stands before a crowd and proclaims his intention to save the seas is convinced that he is superior to a man who merely picks up his own and other people’s litter on the beach, when in fact the latter is in some small way sure to make the world a better place, while the former is likely to be a monster of vanity whose crusade will lead to unintended destruction.

Dean Koontz is a great writer, considering he is a fiction writer. I find it significant that he juxtaposes moral uprightness with self righteousness, not immorality. The Bible addresses both immoral and self righteous behavior, dealing harshly with both.

Maybe one difference is that immoral or amoral behavior contains its own self awareness that something is wrong. Self righteousness is presumptuous. The immoral person must face the internal and inherent contradictions, never secure in his position.

Comment

I started readin "Deeply Odd" by Dean Koontz the other night, and when I read this paragraph on page 22 it made me immediately think of Greta.

Funny. "Narcissistic self-righteousness" and "monster of vanity whose crusade will lead to unintended destruction," makes me think of Trump. Whereas the person who picks up her "own and other people’s litter on the beach" is more akin to Greta playing her small part in promoting awareness of the devastating effects of climate change.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• This thread isn't about Trump, Tassy. Even though it's gone way off topic, it's about Greta, and her real motives, and even her hypocrisy.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

This thread isn't about Trump, Tassy. Even though it's gone way off topic, it's about Greta, and her real motives, and even her hypocrisy.
                    Her motives are as stated surely. I see no good reason to doubt her sincerity.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Her motives are as stated in the op. And I'm sure the only sincerity she displays is when she thinks the cameras aren't on her.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        Her motives are as stated surely. I see no good reason to doubt her sincerity.
                        Yes. Her motives were stated surely. She demands that we disable every bit of emissions. Complete and utter ZERO admissions. So, basically the end of civilization as it exists.

Source: Moronic 17 year old

We are not telling you to keep talking about reaching “net zero emissions” or “carbon neutrality” by cheating and fiddling around with numbers. We are not telling you to “offset your emissions” by just paying someone else to plant trees in places like Africa while at the same time forests like the Amazon are being slaughtered at an infinitely higher rate.

Planting trees is good, of course, but it’s nowhere near enough of what is needed and it cannot replace real mitigation and rewilding nature.
                        Let’s be clear. We don’t need a “low carbon economy.” We don’t need to “lower emissions.” Our emissions have to stop if we are to have a chance to stay below the 1.5-degree target. And, until we have the technologies that at scale can put our emissions to minus, then we must forget about net zero. We need real zero.

© Copyright Original Source

That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          Yes. Her motives were stated surely. She demands that we disable every bit of emissions. Complete and utter ZERO admissions. So, basically the end of civilization as it exists.

Source: Moronic 17 year old

We are not telling you to keep talking about reaching “net zero emissions” or “carbon neutrality” by cheating and fiddling around with numbers. We are not telling you to “offset your emissions” by just paying someone else to plant trees in places like Africa while at the same time forests like the Amazon are being slaughtered at an infinitely higher rate.

Planting trees is good, of course, but it’s nowhere near enough of what is needed and it cannot replace real mitigation and rewilding nature.
                          Let’s be clear. We don’t need a “low carbon economy.” We don’t need to “lower emissions.” Our emissions have to stop if we are to have a chance to stay below the 1.5-degree target. And, until we have the technologies that at scale can put our emissions to minus, then we must forget about net zero. We need real zero.

© Copyright Original Source

Hey, little Justin has bought into the lies big time. He wants Canada to have zero emissions in 30 years.

Poor baby. He'll have to give up his umpteen vacations per year to tropical paradises.

Comment

• so does he expect Canadians to stop breathing out CO2? How else can you get to zero emissions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              so does he expect Canadians to stop breathing out CO2? How else can you get to zero emissions?
                              I have no clue what he expects. Maybe he could be the first one to stop breathing and that would help a great number of things!

I do know he is an enemy of the petroleum industry, as was his father before him in the 70's, and although he expects Alberta to continue sending equalization payments in the billions of dollars, if he gets his way we won't have the money to send to Ottawa.

We don't have it now, since both he and his buddies in the NDP destroyed our economy over the past 4 plus years. But we are still expected to send it.

Comment

I have no clue what he expects. Maybe he could be the first one to stop breathing and that would help a great number of things!

I do know he is an enemy of the petroleum industry, as was his father before him in the 70's, and although he expects Alberta to continue sending equalization payments in the billions of dollars, if he gets his way we won't have the money to send to Ottawa.

We don't have it now, since both he and his buddies in the NDP destroyed our economy over the past 4 plus years. But we are still expected to send it.

Alberta should secede from the Kingdom or whatever Canada is.

Comment