Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Little Greta comes clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Time Person of the Year 2019. Well done Greta.
    You heard it here, first....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• From the same 2014 micropoll cited above:

Source: Pew Research, Aug. 2014

Previous Pew Research Center studies have found only a modest effect of religion on attitudes about environmental protection. For example, a 2010 Pew Research Center telephone survey of U.S. adults found 81% of all adults, including strong majorities of all major religious traditions, favored “stronger laws and regulations to protect the environment,” while 14% opposed them. While 47% of those who attend worship services at least once or twice a month said their clergy speak out on the environment, few adults described religion’s influence as most important in shaping their thinking on environmental protection. Just 6% of U.S. adults in the 2010 survey said religious beliefs have had the biggest influence on what they think about “tougher laws to protect the environment.” More said the biggest influence on their views has been education (28%), the media (24%), personal experience (18%), or something else (11%). Another 6% said friends or family had the biggest influence on their views.

When it comes to people’s beliefs about climate change, it is the religiously unaffiliated, not those who identify with a religious tradition, who are particularly likely to say the Earth is warming due to human activity. Hispanic Catholics, like Hispanics in general, are more likely to say the Earth is warming due to human activity. White evangelical Protestants stand out as least likely to have this view. However, in multivariate statistical modeling, the major religious affiliation groups did not differ from the religiously unaffiliated in views about climate change. Political party identification and race and ethnicity are stronger predictors of views about climate change beliefs than are religious identity or observance.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

*emphasis mine

And from 2019, my favorite:

Source: Pew Research, Apr. 2019

Partisanship is a stronger factor in people’s beliefs about climate change than is their level of knowledge and understanding about science.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Go look at the chart - it's cute!
      Last edited by Teallaura; 12-11-2019, 11:35 AM.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
        Other luminaries to receive this honor include Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, George W. Bush, and Rudy Giuliani.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Thanks for the clarification. I'll keep in mind in the future that your response doesn't necessarily correlate to what I actually typed.
          That would, once again, be an inaccurate summary of what I was saying. You are asking for at best equivalence to a direct quote. In the quote you correlate the second coming with "God will take care of it". I don't view it necessary to mention both the second coming and "God will take care of it" in order to be expressing the same basic attitude. Hence I do not view a direct quote a necessary pre-condition.

As I see it, your quoted phrase represents the concept that we are not responsible for taking care of the Earth because our religious faith tells us this world will end and that God is the one that will end it. So I'm not so concerned about the exact words used to describe that sentiment, I am concerned about the sentiment itself, which I view your specific quote as but one example.

So when I say I've heard many Christian express that, I am not talking about them expressing that concept or thought in those exact words. I am talking about the underlying concept, regardless of the words used to express it.
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-11-2019, 11:53 AM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            That would, once again, be an inaccurate summary of what I was saying. You are asking for at best equivalence to a direct quote. In the quote you correlate the second coming with "God will take care of it". I don't view it necessary to mention both the second coming and "God will take care of it" in order to be expressing the same basic attitude. Hence I do not view a direct quote a necessary pre-condition.

As I see it, your quoted phrase represents the concept that we are not responsible for taking care of the Earth because our religious faith tells us this world will end and that God is the one that will end it. So I'm not so concerned about the exact words used to describe that sentiment, I am concerned about the sentiment itself, which I view your specific quote as but one example.

So when I say I've heard many Christian express that, I am not talking about them expressing that concept or thought in those exact words. I am talking about the underlying concept, regardless of the words used to express it.
            I'm going to try one last time, then I'm just going to absolutely give up. The REASON I was objecting to the phrase I QUOTED had to do with the whole QUOTE, not part of it. I QUOTED the whole quote, you, apparently, chose to ignore part of it, and.....

I give up.

You win.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm going to try one last time, then I'm just going to absolutely give up. The REASON I was objecting to the phrase I QUOTED had to do with the whole QUOTE, not part of it. I QUOTED the whole quote, you, apparently, chose to ignore part of it, and.....

I give up.

You win.
              If that is how you were approaching it, I clearly misunderstood your intent and would probably never have understand it on those terms, because as delivered in the original post you replied to, and it having been applied to a group, such a statement is unlikely to be an exact quote in the first place.

I was telling you that in my experience such attitudes (the attitudes that would produce similar statements) are common especially in evangelical circles. I was not trying to tell you (or anyone) that I hear those exact words in that precise order all the time from large numbers of people.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-11-2019, 12:01 PM.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I give up.

You win.
                Never try to teach a pig to read: it wastes your time and annoys the pig. Same applies to Democrats nowadays.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

If that is how you were approaching it, I clearly misunderstood your intent and would probably never have understand it on those terms, because as delivered in the original post you replied to, and it having been applied to a group, such a statement is unlikely to be an exact quote in the first place.
                  EXACTLY MY POINT!!!!! In CONTEXT, I"m criticizing Tassman for his bloviating, making up things, exaggerating.... and I used that EXACT QUOTE that he supplied as an example. That's why I said it was NUTTY.

I know you'll probably see this as another "attack", but I think you're kinda hardwired of late to "fight back" and argue where there is no argument. Like, in your haste, you confused MM and Seer. MAYBE you could ease up just a tiny tad, Jim?

I was telling you that in my experience such attitudes (the attitudes that would produce similar statements) are common especially in evangelical circles. I was not trying to tell you (or anyone) that I hear those exact words in that precise order all the time from large numbers of people.

Comment

EXACTLY MY POINT!!!!! In CONTEXT, I"m criticizing Tassman for his bloviating, making up things, exaggerating.... and I used that EXACT QUOTE that he supplied as an example. That's why I said it was NUTTY.

I know you'll probably see this as another "attack", but I think you're kinda hardwired of late to "fight back" and argue where there is no argument. Like, in your haste, you confused MM and Seer. MAYBE you could ease up just a tiny tad, Jim?

No - I don't perceive this response as an attack. And you should not see my original response as some sort of 'fight back'. It was just a comment expressing that I do in fact see similar sentiments expressed.
                    Part of that is because I did not see Tassman's statement in the same light you did.

That is, I did not interpret Tassman's original quote as nutty because it is, in fact, representative (though negatively worded) of the sorts of things I have heard. IOW, if I was an unbeliever, and I had heard the things that I have actually heard from fellow Christians about global warming, the statement Tassman created to represent what he heard would seem about right.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      Well, they also chose Trump one year, so...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

And so they also chose you (and me ... ) (2006)

Comment

You heard it here, first....

I know how good you are, CP; a danger man with his finger on the pulse, standing at the edge of doom.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Errare humanum est.
                            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

I'm not responding to that rhetoric. I'm responding to people that want to pretend AGW is not happening and we therefore don't need to do anything about it. And I'm responding to people that believe AGW is a big conspiracy to try to control and/or bring down the free world.
                              And I'm arguing that that's irrelevant. The skepticism is not a factor impeding the majority's views about the problem. The necessary but unattainable economic and sociopolitical complications as the solutions are.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              I think this is the sort of thing seanD is complaining about. Please explain what you believe is a realistic description of would be the consequences of the current trend in CO2 production over the next 60 to 80 years, and why you feel it is reasonable to characterize that consequence as 'our planet will be uninhabitable for our grandchildren'.
                              Don't blame Tassman, he's just parroting mainstream climate change views. This is being propagated by the likes of Greta, climate scientists, and the IPCC itself. I don't believe (though I could be wrong) you don't get much mainstream and authoritative on the subject than the IPCC.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                                And I'm arguing that that's irrelevant. The skepticism is not a factor impeding the majority's views about the problem. The necessary but unattainable economic and sociopolitical complications as the solutions are.

Don't blame Tassman, he's just parroting mainstream climate change views. This is being propagated by the likes of Greta, climate scientists, and the IPCC itself. I don't believe (though I could be wrong) you don't get much mainstream and authoritative on the subject than the IPCC.
                                I'm not blaming Tassman. I'm trying to give him a friendly post where he can express what he feels justifies the statement he made.

Comment