Page 76 of 79 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Greta comes clean

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    What "lies" are these exactly?
    That anybody anywhere can be totally emission free anytime ever.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    This thread isn't about Trump, Tassy. Even though it's gone way off topic, it's about Greta, and her real motives, and even her hypocrisy.
    I have considered that as young as she is that she may just be a pawn of her parents.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    I have considered that as young as she is that she may just be a pawn of her parents.
    That is indeed a distinct possibility.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Obvious pawn like Hogg, maybe the only difference she can make is to emit enough hot air to power the world.
    . Bloomberg, by comparison, may be the candidate that most of the Founders hoped would arise: a wealthy patrician, much like them, who would use his vast resources and influence to defeat what he views as disruptive elements in the nation’s political system.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

In Canada the liberals are proposing net zero emissions, not absolutely zero emissions. Net zero means that the amount of greenhouse gas emissions absorbed by forests etc in the country is equal to the amount of emissions being created by industry etc.

Greta's essentially critiquing their policy, arguing for going further than net zero, and arguing that net zero can be achieved with dodgy math without much actually changing.
    Last edited by Starlight; 01-25-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Yes. Her motives were stated surely. She demands that we disable every bit of emissions. Complete and utter ZERO admissions. So, basically the end of civilization as it exists.

Source: Moronic 17 year old

We are not telling you to keep talking about reaching “net zero emissions” or “carbon neutrality” by cheating and fiddling around with numbers. We are not telling you to “offset your emissions” by just paying someone else to plant trees in places like Africa while at the same time forests like the Amazon are being slaughtered at an infinitely higher rate.

Planting trees is good, of course, but it’s nowhere near enough of what is needed and it cannot replace real mitigation and rewilding nature.
    Let’s be clear. We don’t need a “low carbon economy.” We don’t need to “lower emissions.” Our emissions have to stop if we are to have a chance to stay below the 1.5-degree target. And, until we have the technologies that at scale can put our emissions to minus, then we must forget about net zero. We need real zero.

© Copyright Original Source

I agree that taken literally that is not a sensible statement.

However there's quite a lot of hyperbole and exaggeration in her rhetoric here (e.g. "infinitely higher rate" isn't literal). I think underneath it all she has a valid point: Namely that so far there's been quite a bit of cheating with numbers to pretend emissions offsets where none were happening, and that the situation calls for some actual emissions reductions. e.g. carbon capture and storage, a move to renewables etc.

Your own rhetoric is over the top too. Moving to fully electric vehicles and fully renewable energy sources wouldn't 'end' civilization.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have no clue what he expects. Maybe he could be the first one to stop breathing and that would help a great number of things!
    It would certainly be a significant reduction in the release of hot air.

8. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Her motives are as stated in the op.
    The OP suggested she wants "leftist wealth redistribution and social justice pipe dream".

Is the idea supposed to be that Greta doesn't care about the environment at all, and her campaigning for it is some sort of ploy to further her Real political goals?

How would campaigning against global warming further any causes like wealth redistribution or social justice? I'm confused as to how the logic of that idea works.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That's not exactly what she was saying. But I thought you were referring to the incontrovertible fact of climate change as a lie. But hopefully that's not what you were referring to.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I agree that taken literally that is not a sensible statement.

However there's quite a lot of hyperbole and exaggeration in her rhetoric here (e.g. "infinitely higher rate" isn't literal). I think underneath it all she has a valid point: Namely that so far there's been quite a bit of cheating with numbers to pretend emissions offsets where none were happening, and that the situation calls for some actual emissions reductions. e.g. carbon capture and storage, a move to renewables etc.

Your own rhetoric is over the top too. Moving to fully electric vehicles and fully renewable energy sources wouldn't 'end' civilization.
    I think you're hung up on semantics. The alarmist claim is that we only have a short open window (presumably a decade) until we make radical changes in global industrial infrastructure to offset the least amount of cost and damage as a future consequence. It may not be reducing emissions to zero, but that's a moot point. It still requires a radical reduction that would cause serious global disruptions. After that, they argue, the cost and damage of climate change from not taking these radical steps will inflate exponentially. This is Greta's message and this the mainstream message.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

12. Amen Tassman amen'd this post.