Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why is Trump's white nationalist aide untouchable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Trump's white nationalist aide untouchable?

It is both interesting and sad to read this: Stephen Miller: why is Trump's white nationalist aide untouchable?

I cannot say I am surprised.

More than 100 members of Congress, dozens of civil rights groups and at least 130,800 others have called on Miller to step down, or be fired, but the White House, and the broader Republican party, has still supported Miller after it was revealed he promoted racist fears such as a conspiracy theory about the demographic replacement of white people in America.
    Ruth Ben-Ghiat, who studies the history of fascism in Europe, said Miller was safe in the White House because he was the perfect combination of ideology and behind-the-scenes personality to appease Trump, an “attention-hungry leader” pushing far-right policies.

“Miller is a quiet extremist and they are the most dangerous kind,” Ben-Ghiat said.
    Trump’s former deputy assistant Sebastian Gorka was photographed wearing a medal from Vitézi Rend, a group with historical links to Nazi Germany and the murder of Jews during the Holocaust. Gorka claimed that he only wore the medal to honour his father. Like Bannon, he no longer works in the White House.

In August 2018, the speechwriter Darren Beattie stopped working at the White House after it was revealed he had spoken at a conference regularly attend by white nationalists.

“That is a lot of people with anti-immigrant or white supremacist beliefs that have just flowed through this administration,” McCaw said. “Clearly, all those have been pushed out, but Miller remains. His staying power is that the president liked his anti-immigrant programs and shares his white supremacist beliefs.”
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

The problem is the term "white nationalist." I'm not saying Miller is not a racist (I honestly don't know much about the dude), but "white nationalist" has been overused to describe pretty much any white conservative type (in fact any white Trump supporter), especially conservatives that are vocal about immigration reform.

Comment

I sort of missed it. What makes Miller a white supremacist instead of just a person who is opposed to the Dems lack of an immigration policy?

Does the opposition to Miller recognize that too many immigrants (even white ones) decreases the percent of people who understand the United States form of government ... and would be fine with taxation of the 'wealthy' so that new immigrants can get free benefits?

Like SeanD, I don't know if Miller has racist views. But I don't know if the opposition to him is anything less than Dems wanting to go after Trump again.

Comment

I'm not sure what a white nationalist is. I'm a Western Chauvinist, and the West was largely created and maintained by whites. And since I recognize that fact, and since I am a nationalist, does that make me a white nationalist? Yet, it is more about ideology and common values than skin color. So....
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          I sort of missed it. What makes Miller a white supremacist instead of just a person who is opposed to the Dems lack of an immigration policy?

Does the opposition to Miller recognize that too many immigrants (even white ones) decreases the percent of people who understand the United States form of government ... and would be fine with taxation of the 'wealthy' so that new immigrants can get free benefits?

Like SeanD, I don't know if Miller has racist views. But I don't know if the opposition to him is anything less than Dems wanting to go after Trump again.
          Miller has been on record emailing colleagues articles from VDARE. That's not simply an opposition to the Democrats' immigration policy. That site is outright vile. I'm a little disappointed about how many people in here are trying to play plausible deniability here.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Miller has been on record emailing colleagues articles from VDARE. That's not simply an opposition to the Democrats' immigration policy. That site is outright vile. I'm a little disappointed about how many people in here are trying to play plausible deniability here.
            Is everything from VDARE vile? (For instance here is a article from Coulter, that I don't find vile https://vdare.com/articles/ann-coult...te-nationalist) And all I know of Miller is what I see on TV and he comes off as an ass... And Charles' link, linked to quotes from the Southern Poverty Law Center which list Miller's sins. And I don't trust them at all.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              I'm not sure what a white nationalist is. I'm a Western Chauvinist, and the West was largely created and maintained by whites. And since I recognize that fact, and since I am a nationalist, does that make me a white nationalist? Yet, it is more about ideology and common values than skin color. So....
              It's essentially synonymous with "white supremacist." A white nationalist is someone who believes that white people are genetically, intellectually, or otherwise innately superior to people who do not historically hail from from Western Europe (mostly North Western Europe), and/or who wish to keep their culture, values, and traditions separate and pure from those they see mixing and/or imposing (either actively or passively) their own non-Western European culture, values, and traditions.

If I recall, seer, you're Italian, correct? Many Italians immigrants in the turn of the 19th/20th century suffered under that period's version of "white nationalists" who saw Italians as Pope-worshiping, greasy-haired, anarchist guineas. A label that derived from a slave route in Africa. So essentially it was very much akin to someone using the n-word. As you may know, it took time for Italians to shake off the stigma that Americans had for them.

I think you play with fire, and potentially disrespect your heritage by calling into question what a white nationalist is, when (assuming you're, what, 60?) I imagine you know better.

Comment

Is everything from VDARE vile? (For instance here is a article from Coulter, that I don't find vile https://vdare.com/articles/ann-coult...te-nationalist) And all I know of Miller is what I see on TV and he comes off as an ass... And Charles' link, linked to quotes from the Southern Poverty Law Center which list Miller's sins. And I don't trust them at all.
                Using your logic, the SPLC article Charles cites shouldn't be dismissed either because maybe not everything they post is wrong. Fair is fair.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  It's essentially synonymous with "white supremacist." A white nationalist is someone who believes that white people are genetically, intellectually, or otherwise innately superior to people who do not historically hail from from Western Europe (mostly North Western Europe), and/or who wish to keep their culture, values, and traditions separate and pure from those they see mixing and/or imposing (either actively or passively) their own non-Western European culture, values, and traditions.

If I recall, seer, you're Italian, correct? Many Italians immigrants in the turn of the 19th/20th century suffered under that period's version of "white nationalists" who saw Italians as Pope-worshiping, greasy-haired, anarchist guineas. A label that derived from a slave route in Africa. So essentially it was very much akin to someone using the n-word. As you may know, it took time for Italians to shake off the stigma that Americans had for them.

I think you play with fire, and potentially disrespect your heritage by calling into question what a white nationalist is, when (assuming you're, what, 60?) I imagine you know better.
                  I'm half Italian, with French, Spanish and Iranian. And yes when I was a kid we were called WOPS by the WASPS. But by your definition I don't think Steve Miller is a White Nationalist. But I will repeat that Western culture is superior, and that is not color dependent.

Comment

Using your logic, the SPLC article Charles cites shouldn't be dismissed either because maybe not everything they post is wrong. Fair is fair.
                    King I just looked into the VDARE site, they have articles by fairly generic conservatives (Michelle Malkin, Coulter, Buchanan, et al) as far as I can see. So what did Miller link that was so vile?

Comment

The best I can tell is that the argument is
                      SPLC says VDARE is white supremacist
                      Miller shares VDARE stuff in some emails (or where ever) so he is a white supremacist
                      Trump is a white supremacist because he has Miller on his staff

The SPLC has posted a few things which maybe were bad-- context would help on the posts mentioned on SPLC website. These are 10 years old. And I can't tell if VDARE could have had this on their site without knowing all the details of the people writing it. (Was it a misrepresentation? Was it a misinformed person letting a post be on VDARE? Or are the examples from sPLC representing true and current views of VDARE? Are white-supremacist views part of the official policy of VDARE?)

Does Miller have some other indicators that he could be a white supremacist?

There is a lot of undependable reliance here. I don't think it is a case of "plausible deniability"

I'm sorry that it has come to a point where it is hard to automatically trust sources these days.

Comment

I'm not sure what a white nationalist is.
                        It's the label currently in vogue because 'racist' and 'Nazi' aren't working as well as in the past. KingsGambit and Adrift might as well be SPLC-programmed NPCs.

King I just looked into the VDARE site, they have articles by fairly generic conservatives (Michelle Malkin, Coulter, Buchanan, et al) as far as I can see. So what did Miller link that was so vile?
                        'VDARE bad, VDARE bad!!!!!'
                        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Translation:

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                          The Jew is a Nazi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

That last sentence is plain stupid. I follow news and politics better than the average person (but definitely not as much as people on here). This is the first time I've ever heard of "VDARE." I'm only vaguely aware of Miller. I know he used to appear and speak for the admin. more than he does now. I know he is brusque and blunt. That's about it.

I also know this: The number of USA-icans who want total (not just "illegal") immigration to decrease still has not dropped below the number who want it to increase. (A plurality want it to remain about the same. And about 2% say, "Huh? Immigration? Wut's dat?") Here.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Three people responded before your post. SeanD and Mikewhitney aren't sure who Miller is and what exactly his views are, seer wonders exactly what 'White nationalist' means these days. I don't see anyone of those three, let alone more than one, denying anything.

Ruth Ben-Ghiat is an advisor to 'Protect Democracy', which appears to have a board and staff consisting largely of people with significant Democrat connections.
                              ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment