Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why is Trump's white nationalist aide untouchable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    Yes, what with their genocide, wealth theft, slave owning, and all.
    Of course American history is far more complex and nuanced than your simplistic labels suggest, but this is how liberals argue these days, with labels instead of ideas.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Of course American history is far more complex and nuanced than your simplistic labels suggest, but this is how liberals argue these days, with labels instead of ideas.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Congrats on your own contribution to argumentum ad titulus.

Comment

Yes, what with their genocide,
          None supported or advocated for genocide

wealth theft
          None advocated for theft.

, slave owning, and all.
          Some fought for it and others fought against it. Compromise was made to get things finalized. Slavery was unfortunately one area that won out that shouldn't have, but that doesn't invalidate the rest of the good they accomplished.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Says the guy who labels all liberals as Marxist and embraces the very nuanced slogan, MAGA.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              None supported or advocated for genocide

None advocated for theft.
              Weird how genocide and land theft happened without any support for it.

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              Some fought for it and others fought against it. Compromise was made to get things finalized. Slavery was unfortunately one area that won out that shouldn't have, but that doesn't invalidate the rest of the good they accomplished.
              Neither does it excuse western culture for the enormous sin of treating human beings as a commodity.

Strangely enough, the commoditization of human beings is still an ugly side effect of capitalism, another product of western culture.

Comment

Neither does it excuse western culture for the enormous sin of treating human beings as a commodity.
                Tell me which "culture" didn't practice slavery in the past whag? One of those you claimed to like so much?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Tell me which "culture" didn't practice slavery in the past whag? One of those you claimed to like so much?
                  The Soviets had its gulags (which a couple of Sander's campaign officials spoke wistfully of and wanted to instate in the U.S.) and the Chicoms still use slave labor. And several Muslim countries still have issues with slavery.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    The point isn’t that slavery want practiced by other cultures but that “cultural chauvinism” isn’t called for in light of inconsistency of rights apportionment and intercultural influences, which you’ve so far 100% ignored.

Again, the U.S. would not exist had it granted property rights to Native Americans and human rights to slaves. That makes this ambiguous enough not to brag about who has the best culture.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      The Soviets had its gulags (which a couple of Sander's campaign officials spoke wistfully of and wanted to instate in the U.S.) and the Chicoms still use slave labor. And several Muslim countries still have issues with slavery.
                      All patriarchal cultures have unfortunately relied on land theft, genocide, slavery, and the erasure of other cultures to advance, which unfortunately carries the consequences over generations. Hence failed American experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                        The point isn’t that slavery want practiced by other cultures but that “cultural chauvinism” isn’t called for in light of inconsistency of rights apportionment and intercultural influences, which you’ve so far 100% ignored.

Again, the U.S. would not exist had it granted property rights to Native Americans and human rights to slaves. That makes this ambiguous enough not to brag about who has the best culture.
                        So you can't name a culture where slavery wasn't practiced. And can you name a culture that has the freedoms the West does today? Why isn't that worth bragging about? And I have no idea what you mean by intercultural influences - who, what?
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Weird how genocide and land theft happened without any support for it.
                          Considering there was no genocide performed or supported by the founding fathers... and as far as land theft goes, I'll just leave it at the fact that you live on stolen land too, and you are doing nothing about it.

Never said it did. But the great thing about this country is that they created a framework for us to better ourselves and rid ourselves of such happenings. Additionally, Eastern culture enslaved others too, so it isn't just us.

Strangely enough, the commoditization of human beings is still an ugly side effect of capitalism, another product of western culture.
                          No it isn't. Humans are EMPLOYEES, free to come and go as they please. Commodities are not.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

All patriarchal cultures have unfortunately relied on land theft, genocide, slavery, and the erasure of other cultures to advance, which unfortunately carries the consequences over generations. Hence failed American experiment.
                              No it isn't. The American Experiment is getting incrementally better as these nuances are addressed through time.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Says the guy who labels all liberals as Marxist and embraces the very nuanced slogan, MAGA.
                                Please provide quotes to substantiate this accusation.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment