Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post

The lies we tell when ...
    ...we have perfect hair?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

2. Amen Juvenal amen'd this post.
    Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    andrew: Yeah, okay. Number one, our favorite “hi i’m losing to an imaginary internet cow” representative devin nunes from your state has sued cnn for a million-trillion-billion dollars – actually it is $435,350,000. I like the additional 350,000, that’s a-

thomas: Yeah, yeah.

Andrew: That’s a nice touch. Alleging defamation by putting out a hit piece that exposes his factual ties to crooked ukrainian politicians.

Thomas: Yeah.

Andrew: This is yet another, in the long – the reason i had this on the “we can’t bother discussing this” is because devin nunes is an idiot who files frivolous meritless lawsuits. Someone even asked, and i thought that this question was worth answering, wouldn’t that expose him to discovery? You’re damn right it would!

Thomas: Hmm, yeah.

Andrew: [laughs] right? Because remember, of a public official, the standard for defamation, we’ve said it only several hundred times on this show, is the new york times v. Sullivan actual malice standard. It is then a defense for cnn that the things that they printed about devin nunes, the things that they said about devin nunes, were accurate or [laughs] and this is all you need for new york times standard, is done under ordinary journalistic standards. Not done with actual malice, that is knowing falsity or reckless disregard for the truth.

So in the event that it went forward at all, you would say okay, well we’re gonna serve discovery on you for all of your connections to these ukrainian prosecutors. Devin nunes has no intention of turning over that information. [laughs] will not turn over that information. So in the even that we ever got to the discovery phase he would refuse to comply with cnn’s reasonable discovery requests and as a result then the court would either order him to turn it over or order him to – or would grant summary judgment in favor of cnn on the defamation counts for nunes’ failure to cooperate in exploring a valid affirmative defense, namely that the story is true.

So this is a headline-grabbing stunt by somebody who doesn’t seem to understand the difference between notoriety and fame. There you go.
    oa339
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    oa339
    malarkey
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post

You're confusing the impeachment inquiry for the obstruction charges, which are legal, not political. He's got no chance of defending himself against Mueller's detailed incidents of obstruction when they come to trial, and I've got over a thousand exhibits of evidence on that.
    No, I'm not - the House Dems never contested any of their subpoenas - not once. If the subpoena is valid, why not? If they actually wanted the info/testimony, why not? If they aren't going to seek relief, why should the Exec bother to respond? And then we get into the real meat of validity and exec privilege.

But it's the failure to seek redress/relief that kills any obstruction of justice case. There's no such thing as obstruction of congress (I think they do need Ex-lax, though).

The confusing is understandable, though, as Jim was talking about obstruction of Congress, which will likely show up as an article of impeachment as well.
    No, I got it - he conflates them and I haven't bothered sorting it out. The real one is the only one that matters anyway.

Mea culpa

I'll try to be more partisan in the future, but just because you're cute.

The lies we tell when ...
    I'll pretend to believe you.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Jim, breathe. The Strawberry just did a better job of explaining your post than you did. At least I think he did - I can't make heads or tails out of what you wrote.

There is no case for obstruction that will fly. The Court would likely grant certiorari - and their first question would be 'why didn't you seek relief on the subpoenas?'. After a very pregnant pause, lawyers would tuck tail and run.
    Obstruction is obvious, Tea, Twelve administration officials blocked by Trump from testifying and all documents requested have been denied. That's obstruction of Congress. There is no legal basis for the administration to obstruct the constitutional responsibility of congressional oversight in this way, and going through the courts, as has been made explicit in the Mcgahn subpoena case, would take years, which of course is the goal of the White House.

But, with an upcoming election, and being that this impeachment is about Trumps abuse of power with respect to his extorting a foreign country to interfere in U.S. elections, there was not time enough to enforce that testimony, and the release of those documents by going through the courts. The case no doubt would be even stronger if those witnesses came forth, and those documents were released, but the evidence they got from those patriotic americans who testified despite the Presidents demand not to do so was plenty sufficient to prove the Presidents abuse of office.

Now, of course there is the probability that, like you, the unprincipled Senate Republicans, though knowing better, will ignore the evidence, pretend its a hoax, and fail to convict, but the democrats, though knowing that, have no choice but to abide by their oath to protect the Constitution from domestic enemies like Trump.
    Last edited by JimL; 12-10-2019 at 10:14 PM.

7. Amen oxmixmudd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Obstruction is obvious, Tea, Twelve administration officials blocked by Trump from testifying and all documents requested have been denied. That's obstruction of Congress. There is no legal basis for the administration to obstruct the constitutional responsibility of congressional oversight in this way, and going through the courts, as has been made explicit in the Mcgahn subpoena case, would take years, which of course is the goal of the White House.

But, with an upcoming election, and being that this impeachment is about Trumps abuse of power with respect to his extorting a foreign country to interfere in U.S. elections, there was not time enough to enforce that testimony, and the release of those documents by going through the courts. The case no doubt would be even stronger if those witnesses came forth, and those documents were released, but the evidence they got from those patriotic americans who testified despite the Presidents demand not to do so was plenty sufficient to prove the Presidents abuse of office.

Now, of course there is the probability that, like you, the unprincipled Senate Republicans, though knowing better, will ignore the evidence, pretend its a hoax, and fail to convict, but the democrats, though knowing that, have no choice but to abide by their oath to protect the Constitution from domestic enemies like Trump.
    Oh, give it a rest - the Dems are the political hacks here.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm sure you'd have said the same during the Nixon Impeachment, it's your team, which apparently is more important to you than your Constitution.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    On the contrary, with only a few exceptions, the republicans have abandoned their oaths of office in a trade for power. We can only hope there is a majority in this country that will give them all free rides back to the private sector over the next 3 years
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

11. Amen JimL amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Obstruction is obvious, Tea
    00000000000000ab000-00aaam.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

13. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm sure you'd have said the same during the Nixon Impeachment, it's your team, which apparently is more important to you than your Constitution.
    A) No, I opposed Nixon - and wasn't overly thrilled with the pardon.
    B) I was Democrat most of my life.
    C) You're only anti-Trump. This sham flies in the face of the Constitution but all you care about is your corrupt, power abusing, Constitution destroying heroes leading your insane democrat tribe to victory, Pyrrhic though it be.