Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Nunes sues CNN over 'demonstrably false' Ukraine report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nunes sues CNN over 'demonstrably false' Ukraine report

Nunes sues CNN over 'demonstrably false' Ukraine report

So that it doesn't get lost in all the other impeachment threads....

Rep. Devin Nunes, the ranking Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, has filed a $435 million defamation suit against CNN over a story that alleged Nunes met with a fired Ukrainian prosecutor in an effort to dig up dirt on Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden.

The story — "Giuliani associate willing to tell Congress Nunes met with ex-Ukrainian official to get dirt on Biden" — was published Nov. 22. It was based on the words of Joseph Bondy, the attorney for Ukrainian-born Lev Parnas, who worked closely with Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani in pursuing allegations of Ukrainian efforts to influence the 2016 presidential election as well as allegations of corruption in Ukraine involving Biden's son Hunter. Parnas is currently under indictment on campaign finance charges.

CNN reported that Bondy said Parnas was "willing to tell Congress" that in December 2018, Nunes traveled to Vienna to meet with Viktor Shokin, the top Ukrainian prosecutor who was famously fired in 2016 under pressure from the United States, represented by Biden, who said Shokin did not do enough to prosecute corruption in Ukraine. CNN cited congressional travel records showing Nunes and a few aides traveled to Europe between Nov. 30 and Dec. 3, 2018.

Quoting Bondy, the CNN report said, "Mr. Parnas learned from former Ukrainian Prosecutor General Victor Shokin that Nunes had met with Shokin in Vienna last December."

Shortly after the report was published, Nunes said it was "demonstrably false" but declined to elaborate. In the lawsuit, Nunes has provided the details.

Nunes did travel between Nov. 30 and Dec. 3. The lawsuit says that on those dates, Nunes was in Libya and Malta. Nunes traveled to Libya to "discuss security issues with General Khalifa Haftar," the suit says. In Malta, Nunes "met with U.S. and Maltese officials, including Prime Minister Joseph Muscat, and participated in a repatriation ceremony for the remains of an American World War II soldier missing in action," according to the suit.

The lawsuit provides photos of Nunes with Haftar, with Muscat, and at the repatriation ceremony.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

And his cow for $250 MM in March.
    And McClactchy in August.
    And Hearst for $77.5 MM in October.

And now CNN for $435.35 MM in December.
    Before publishing the story, CNN asked Nunes to comment, but he declined repeated requests, according to the article.

Nunes told Hannity that he does not respond to any questions from CNN in protest of other “fake news” stories on him.

Comment

Are you implying that if someone doesn't respond to a request for comment from a news organization, the news organization is then free to publish whatever it wants about that person?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
        And his cow for $250 MM in March....
        I'm still ruminating on this one.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I'm still ruminating on this one.
          That's udderly ridiculous. Best moove on when you're done milking this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Are you implying that if someone doesn't respond to a request for comment from a news organization, the news organization is then free to publish whatever it wants about that person?
            Are you implying that CNN is legally obligated to wait for a comment from all parties mentioned in a story before it can publish it? Even if said parties refuse to give said comment?
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-05-2019, 08:26 AM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Reporting about people being ridiculously litigious is fair game, no matter what side you’re on.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                Are you implying that CNN is legally obligated to wait for a comment from all parties mentioned in a story before it can publish it? Even if said parties refuse to give said comment?
                Don't be ridiculous. They are legally, or at least ethically obligated to verify that what they are publishing is true. Saying, "Welp, Nunes didn't respond!" doesn't get them off the hook.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                  Reporting about people being ridiculously litigious is fair game, no matter what side you’re on.
                  Unless what you "report" is defamatory.

Comment

Unless what you "report" is defamatory.
                    In what way was it libelous?

Comment

They are legally responsible to fact check a story and not publish false allegations. Nunes' travels were public record for instance. Easily checked.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        They are legally responsible to fact check a story and not publish false allegations. Nunes' travels were public record for instance. Easily checked.
                        To what extent. I guess juvenal would need to weigh in on that. There is something incredibly ridiculous - however - about suing a news organization for publishing a story for which you were contacted and for which you refused to comment. Seems like if he was contacted and then just flat out refused to even look at its content or provide a rebuttal if he knew it's content did not reflect reality, then it's his own fault if something potentially unflattering got out there. And frankly, if I were a judge I'd throw it out (the lawsuit)
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

To what extent. I guess juvenal would need to weigh in on that. There is something incredibly ridiculous - however - about suing a news organization for publishing a story for which you were contacted and for which you refused to comment. Seems like if he was contacted and the just flat out refused to even look at its content or provide a rebuttal if he knew it's content did not reflect reality, then it's his own fault if something potentially unflattering got out there.
                          So its his own fault that CNN printed lies about him? wow.

Kind of like guilty until proven innocent, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            So its his own fault that CNN printed lies about him? wow.
                            Basically - yes. They contacted him and he had the opportunity to flag their source as lying about him and he refused. I basically falls back on him then. Now it would be CNN's fault if they did not do their due diligence, and you might have a point about looking at travel records. But Nunes just refusing to provide feedback - that part is his own fault.

Kind of like guilty until proven innocent, eh?
                            --[aside]---
                            Now that last comment would be a distortion of my words Sparko and skirts an attack on my character - if you are interested in not doing that sort of thing.
                            --[/aside]--

If someone tells lies about me to you and you tell someone else and don't ask me about them first, that is on you.

If someone tells lies about me to you and you come to me and ask me about them and I let you think they are true - that is on me.
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-05-2019, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Basically - yes. They contacted him and he had the opportunity to flag their source as lying about him and he refused. I basically falls back on him then. Now it would be CNN's fault if they did not do their due diligence, and you might have a point about looking at travel records. But Nunes just refusing to provide feedback - that part is his own fault.

--[aside]---
                              Now that last comment would be a distortion of my words Sparko and skirts an attack on my character - if you are interested in not doing that sort of thing.
                              --[/aside]--

If someone tells lies about me to you and you tell someone else and don't ask me about them first, that is on you.

If someone tells lies about me to you and you come to me and ask me about them and I let you think they are true - that is on me.
                              I wasn't distorting your words, Jim. I was characterizing how I see the idea of having to prove your innocence to a newspaper reporter or they can print what they want. The newspaper has the responsibility to print the truth and investigate the matter, the subject has no burden of proof here. They could easily have checked his travel schedule, or contacted other people involved in the matter.

Comment