Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nunes sues CNN over 'demonstrably false' Ukraine report

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Nunes sues CNN over 'demonstrably false' Ukraine report

Nunes sues CNN over 'demonstrably false' Ukraine report

So that it doesn't get lost in all the other impeachment threads....

Rep. Devin Nunes, the ranking Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, has filed a $435 million defamation suit against CNN over a story that alleged Nunes met with a fired Ukrainian prosecutor in an effort to dig up dirt on Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden.

The story — "Giuliani associate willing to tell Congress Nunes met with ex-Ukrainian official to get dirt on Biden" — was published Nov. 22. It was based on the words of Joseph Bondy, the attorney for Ukrainian-born Lev Parnas, who worked closely with Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani in pursuing allegations of Ukrainian efforts to influence the 2016 presidential election as well as allegations of corruption in Ukraine involving Biden's son Hunter. Parnas is currently under indictment on campaign finance charges.

CNN reported that Bondy said Parnas was "willing to tell Congress" that in December 2018, Nunes traveled to Vienna to meet with Viktor Shokin, the top Ukrainian prosecutor who was famously fired in 2016 under pressure from the United States, represented by Biden, who said Shokin did not do enough to prosecute corruption in Ukraine. CNN cited congressional travel records showing Nunes and a few aides traveled to Europe between Nov. 30 and Dec. 3, 2018.

Quoting Bondy, the CNN report said, "Mr. Parnas learned from former Ukrainian Prosecutor General Victor Shokin that Nunes had met with Shokin in Vienna last December."

Shortly after the report was published, Nunes said it was "demonstrably false" but declined to elaborate. In the lawsuit, Nunes has provided the details.

Nunes did travel between Nov. 30 and Dec. 3. The lawsuit says that on those dates, Nunes was in Libya and Malta. Nunes traveled to Libya to "discuss security issues with General Khalifa Haftar," the suit says. In Malta, Nunes "met with U.S. and Maltese officials, including Prime Minister Joseph Muscat, and participated in a repatriation ceremony for the remains of an American World War II soldier missing in action," according to the suit.

The lawsuit provides photos of Nunes with Haftar, with Muscat, and at the repatriation ceremony.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And his cow for $250 MM in March.
    And McClactchy in August.
    And Hearst for $77.5 MM in October.

And now CNN for $435.35 MM in December.

Before publishing the story, CNN asked Nunes to comment, but he declined repeated requests, according to the article.

Nunes told Hannity that he does not respond to any questions from CNN in protest of other “fake news” stories on him.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are you implying that if someone doesn't respond to a request for comment from a news organization, the news organization is then free to publish whatever it wants about that person?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

4. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    And his cow for $250 MM in March....
    I'm still ruminating on this one.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm still ruminating on this one.
    That's udderly ridiculous. Best moove on when you're done milking this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Are you implying that if someone doesn't respond to a request for comment from a news organization, the news organization is then free to publish whatever it wants about that person?
    Are you implying that CNN is legally obligated to wait for a comment from all parties mentioned in a story before it can publish it? Even if said parties refuse to give said comment?
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-05-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

8. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Reporting about people being ridiculously litigious is fair game, no matter what side you’re on.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Are you implying that CNN is legally obligated to wait for a comment from all parties mentioned in a story before it can publish it? Even if said parties refuse to give said comment?
    Don't be ridiculous. They are legally, or at least ethically obligated to verify that what they are publishing is true. Saying, "Welp, Nunes didn't respond!" doesn't get them off the hook.

11. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    Reporting about people being ridiculously litigious is fair game, no matter what side you’re on.
    Unless what you "report" is defamatory.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Unless what you "report" is defamatory.
    In what way was it libelous?