Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Nunes sues CNN over 'demonstrably false' Ukraine report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I wasn't distorting your words, Jim...
    Why is it so hard for us to follow our own advice?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wasn't distorting your words, Jim. I was characterizing how I see the idea of having to prove your innocence to a newspaper reporter or they can print what they want. The newspaper has the responsibility to print the truth and investigate the matter, the subject has no burden of proof here. They could easily have checked his travel schedule, or contacted other people involved in the matter.
      First - I brought up the issue of distortion for educational purposes, thinking that perhaps you were interested in understanding how to avoid that. If you go crazy because I made that point, I'll take that is an indication you really have no interest in avoiding that.

My last comment about that is - again assuming you have an interest in avoiding that particular method of poisoning a discussion - is that you have reflected my response as implying CNN does not have a responsibility to investigate. But nothing I said implied that. That conclusion you arrived at by means outside the information content of my post.

What I said was that Nunes refusing to comment on a story brought by a credible source is his own fault, assuming CNN did their due diligence and could not reasonably have been expected to uncover the incorrect nature of the story - assuming it is in fact incorrect. Nunes was contacted several times but refused to comment. Had he done so, and had his claims been verifiable, the story would likely never have been published.

As I said at the end of my post, which fairly characterizes my point:

If someone tells lies about me to you and you tell someone else and don't ask me about them first, that is on you.

If someone tells lies about me to you and you come to me and ask me about them and I let you think they are true - that is on me.

Nunes' refusal to comment - in this case - is to me the same as allowing them to believe it was true.
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-05-2019, 03:19 PM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        First - I brought up the issue of distortion for educational purposes, think that perhaps you were interested in understanding how to avoid that. If you go crazy because I made that point, I'll take that is an indication you really have no interest in avoiding that.

My last comment bout that - again assuming you have an interest in avoiding that particular method of poisoning a discussion - is that you have reflected my response as implying CNN does not have a responsibility to investigate. But nothing I said implied that. That conclusion you arrived at by means outside the information content of my post.

What I said was that Nunes refusing to comment on a story brought by a credible source is his own fault, assuming CNN did their due diligence and could not reasonably have been expected to uncover the incorrect nature of the story - assuming it is in fact incorrect. Nunes was contacted several times but refused to comment. Had he done so, and had his claims been verifiable, the story would likely never have been published.

As I said at the end of my post, which fairly characterizes my point:

If someone tells lies about me to you and you tell someone else and don't ask me about them first, that is on you.

If someone tells lies about me to you and you come to me and ask me about them and I let you think they are true - that is on me.

Nunes' refusal to comment - in this case - is to me the same as allowing them to believe it was true.

I am done discussing this with you. Stop assuming every sarcastic comment is an attack. Please.

Comment

"You didn't stop me from lying about you, so it's your fault!"

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Why is it so hard for us to follow our own advice?
            And that would be?
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              "You didn't stop me from lying about you, so it's your fault!"

Nope - that's not what I said either. If a news organization has what they believe to be a credible source and they reach out to the affiliated parties and research the data driving the story, and one of those parties refuses to comment, then that party loses their right to have their side of the story told up front.

Indeed, look at how you are mischaracterizing my statements even with me telling you how those mischaracterizations are wrong, yet you still 'publish' them! Kind of hypocritical then to be claiming CNN did something wrong.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-05-2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I am done discussing this with you. Stop assuming every sarcastic comment is an attack. Please.
                No need to get all riled up Sparko. But it would be useful if you could stop taking corrections of your misunderstandings of my words as attacks on you personally. They are not.

Comment

No need to get all riled up Sparko. But it would be useful if you could stop taking corrections of your misunderstandings of my words as attacks on you personally. They are not.
                  I never said you were attacking me. Attack all you want, if you want.

I was just saying you shouldn't take every sarcastic response as an attack on YOU. And I am not riled up. You seem to be though.

Comment

I never said you were attacking me. Attack all you want, if you want.
                    Pardon me while I laugh a bit at that.

I was just saying you shouldn't take every sarcastic response as an attack on YOU. And I am not riled up. You seem to be though.
                    Nope. Just trying to get along without at the same time allowing myself to become a patsy.
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-05-2019, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Nope. Just trying to get along without at the same time allowing myself to become a patsy.
                      I never thought of you or called you a patsy. I don't think anyone does. But I can only speak for myself. But, if that was your "getting long" plan then it has the opposite effect, FYI.

Comment

If a news organization has what they believe to be a credible source and they reach out to the affiliated parties and research the data driving the story, and one of those parties refuses to comment, then that party loses their right to have their side of the story told up front.
                        Obviously the dispute is over whether or not CNN made a good faith effort to verify the facts before running the story. That they apparently didn't bother to check the claims against Nune's publicly available travel itinerary does not speak well for their diligence. Or worse, maybe they did check, but they suppressed the information because it didn't fit their narrative?

Whatever the case, CNN doesn't look so good here, so it's par for the course.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Nunes sues CNN over 'demonstrably false' Ukraine report

So that it doesn't get lost in all the other impeachment threads....

Rep. Devin Nunes, the ranking Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, has filed a $435 million defamation suit against CNN over a story that alleged Nunes met with a fired Ukrainian prosecutor in an effort to dig up dirt on Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden.

The story — "Giuliani associate willing to tell Congress Nunes met with ex-Ukrainian official to get dirt on Biden" — was published Nov. 22. It was based on the words of Joseph Bondy, the attorney for Ukrainian-born Lev Parnas, who worked closely with Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani in pursuing allegations of Ukrainian efforts to influence the 2016 presidential election as well as allegations of corruption in Ukraine involving Biden's son Hunter. Parnas is currently under indictment on campaign finance charges.

CNN reported that Bondy said Parnas was "willing to tell Congress" that in December 2018, Nunes traveled to Vienna to meet with Viktor Shokin, the top Ukrainian prosecutor who was famously fired in 2016 under pressure from the United States, represented by Biden, who said Shokin did not do enough to prosecute corruption in Ukraine. CNN cited congressional travel records showing Nunes and a few aides traveled to Europe between Nov. 30 and Dec. 3, 2018.

Quoting Bondy, the CNN report said, "Mr. Parnas learned from former Ukrainian Prosecutor General Victor Shokin that Nunes had met with Shokin in Vienna last December."

Shortly after the report was published, Nunes said it was "demonstrably false" but declined to elaborate. In the lawsuit, Nunes has provided the details.

Nunes did travel between Nov. 30 and Dec. 3. The lawsuit says that on those dates, Nunes was in Libya and Malta. Nunes traveled to Libya to "discuss security issues with General Khalifa Haftar," the suit says. In Malta, Nunes "met with U.S. and Maltese officials, including Prime Minister Joseph Muscat, and participated in a repatriation ceremony for the remains of an American World War II soldier missing in action," according to the suit.

The lawsuit provides photos of Nunes with Haftar, with Muscat, and at the repatriation ceremony.
                          So what's he suing CNN for, the story originated from Parnas attorney, Joseph Bondy and was picked up by much of the media.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            So what's he suing CNN for...
                            $435 million
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If a newspaper can't verify a story is true, they should not publish it. It's that simple. At the very least, say in the article that it is unverified speculation.

CNN is supposed to be a trusted top news organization, not a tabloid. And yet, over the past few years, they have published fake story after fake story.

Comment

If a newspaper can't verify a story is true, they should not publish it. It's that simple. At the very least, say in the article that it is unverified speculation.

CNN is supposed to be a trusted top news organization, not a tabloid. And yet, over the past few years, they have published fake story after fake story.
                                Not true Sparko. That is the real Trump era 'fake news' - that anything but fox or brietbart is fake news. What you call the MSM (which includes CNN) is still the best source for accurate, thorough reporting of the news. That is not to say any specific news source is perfect or does not make mistakes, or that some of those sources are not consistently more or less biased than others.

But it is to say that sources like fox or breitbart are some of the worst and most biased sources out there, and that they prey on the paranoia of their primary audience.
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-06-2019, 09:27 AM.

Comment