Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Guns, Guns, Guns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns, Guns, Guns...

This even surprised me...

ATF: 423M guns in America, 1.2 per person, 8.1B rounds of ammunition a year

America’s love affair with guns is only getting stronger.

New federal data shows that there are 422.9 million firearms in circulation, or about 1.2 guns for every person in the country.

What’s more, despite years of criticism of modern “assault-style” rifles such as the AR-15 and AK-47, there are a record 17.7 million in private hands, proving that it is the most popular gun around.

And last year alone, the arms industry produced 8.1 billion rounds of ammunition.

The figures are from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives and were crunched by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the gun industry trade group.

“These figures show the industry that America has a strong desire to continue to purchase firearms for lawful purposes,” said Joe Bartozzi, president of the NSSF, in a statement releasing the group’s new report.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...of-ammo-a-year
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

The left tries to brush this off as being caused by kooks creating massive stockpiles but the facts indicate that there has been a massive leap in first time gun buyers with women leading the way.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      The left tries to brush this off as being caused by kooks creating massive stockpiles but the facts indicate that there has been a massive leap in first time gun buyers with women leading the way.
      Okay. I'll accept that description of the left, since often the left does paint it as rednecks stockpiling weapons.

But maybe one question we ought to ask is whether it is a good thing, if it is a sign of a healthy society, if it is a sign of a Christian society.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
        But maybe one question we ought to ask is whether it is a good thing, if it is a sign of a healthy society, if it is a sign of a Christian society.
        I think it is a sign of fear, which may not be a Christian value or concern. Fear of losing a Second Amendment right, fear of government, and a fear of crime.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          I think it is a sign of fear, which may not be a Christian value or concern. Fear of losing a Second Amendment right, fear of government, and a fear of crime.
          A loss in confidence in the government might also factor into this.

Personally I don't think that simply seeking to provide protection for yourself and family is anti-Christian.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            A loss in confidence in the government might also factor into this.

Personally I don't think that simply seeking to provide protection for yourself and family is anti-Christian.
            I agree with the government and protection things but both are often grounded in fear. Which can be (though not necessarily) anti-Christian.

Comment

I got a handgun in response to the liberals trying to ban guns. It was a protest move, but I am also glad I got it for protection and just for sport.

Comment

People are saying a civil war is coming and this could be an effect of that, probably just driven by pure instinct.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  People are saying a civil war is coming and this could be an effect of that, probably just driven by pure instinct.
                  Who is saying that? You mean POTUS, sad evangelists, and TDS sufferers?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                    The rhetoric mainly comes from the right, though with sporadic hints coming from leftist groups like ANTIFA. It's also being murmured among certain political analysts and journalists. I personally base it on what we saw under Obama and what we're still seeing now. We haven't seen the street violence reach the level we saw under Obama, but we're definitely seeing the political divisiveness (actual government conflict) increase under Trump -- mainly the political left's resistance. I at first thought gun record sales was just Obama and the Democrat's anti-gun rhetoric, but since it's still continuing, this looks more like the instinctual effect of the political divisiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                      How Close Is the U.S. to Civil War? About Two-Thirds of the Way, Americans Say

A majority of Americans, no matter where they live, or the party they typically vote for, think the country is growing apart. On political, racial, and class lines, Americans think divisions are widening, according to a new Georgetown University poll.

That division is leading to a dark place, respondents said. Asked how close the country is to the “edge of a civil war” — with 0 being not close at all and 100 being time to get the “go” bag — Americans say we’re at 67.23. So, two-thirds of the way to internecine bloodshed. Could be better. Could be worse.

The poll also shows how people think we got here. On one side are Republicans who say Democratic political leaders and the media are responsible for the division. On the other side are Democrats who say Trump, his Republican allies, and “wealthy special interests” are to blame. The only thing the two sides can agree on is that we’re screwed

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...civil-war.html

Comment