Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Schiff Targets Political Rival, Journalist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Jim is a big boy and can argue all by himself. Lately, you jump in to defend rather than to take up a particular point. Probably not explaining it well but it annoys me that you keep trying to answer for other people, usually Jim, while I'm talking to them. Sure, we all do it sometimes but you're doing it all the time now.

So until I stop being so annoyed about it - regardless whether it's even a fault - I'm not playing with you because gouging out virtual eyeballs is somehow bad and I'm finding this nails on a chalkboard sonata annoying enough to consider it.
    That is, quite literally how every person who posts on this subforum operates routinely, including yourself. So that ain't it.

And in this case, I'm not answering the questions put to JimL. I am responding to factual inaccuracies and overstatements that people are making -- sometimes even as they hector JimL for the same purpose. One would have to hope that accuracy and restraint are shared values, not merely something we foist onto others.

Past all that, I put substance into my posts that are relevant to the discussion and pose serious (sometimes fatal) problems to zombie assertions and arguments several people here continue to push, long after the factual basis for their assertions has been undermined.

It's a problem that people gotta address if y'all ever want this to be a place where people debate or discuss instead of grouse and bicker.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      That is, quite literally how every person who posts on this subforum operates routinely, including yourself. So that ain't it.

And in this case, I'm not answering the questions put to JimL. I am responding to factual inaccuracies and overstatements that people are making -- sometimes even as they hector JimL for the same purpose. One would have to hope that accuracy and restraint are shared values, not merely something we foist onto others.

Past all that, I put substance into my posts that are relevant to the discussion and pose serious (sometimes fatal) problems to zombie assertions and arguments several people here continue to push, long after the factual basis for their assertions has been undermined.

It's a problem that people gotta address if y'all ever want this to be a place where people debate or discuss instead of grouse and bicker.

--Sam
      Yeah, it is - and the sanctimonious crap of telling me what I think really makes it worse.

I try not to use ignore merely to avoid annoyance - which seems overly silly to me - but you're making me reconsider. Also, you're butting in AGAIN and you dang well know it - that and you're still wrong.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

It does seem more than a little revealing that folks hectoring JimL to substantiate his claims for pages so readily shirk from discussion...
        Jim often words things poorly, and the push back is often, in my case, for clarification. When challenged to back up claims, he has frequently responded with "it doesn't matter".

Personally, I'm trying to do better with regards to not nitpicking his nonstandard grammar and spelling, or attempting to demonstrate he's a "dummy" --- but he makes that a challenge by his constant childish "you Trumpsters", etc....

Perhaps you could serve as a life coach to him!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Blah blah blah. Schiff didn't have access to the material in the complaint, did he make it up, or did someone with access to that material report it to him or his staff?
          Whine, whine, whine. As we are seeing the complaint was bogus from the beginning

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Whine, whine, whine. As we are seeing the complaint was bogus from the beginning
            What complaint?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              What complaint?
              Ciaramella's

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ciaramella's
                I was being facetious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Jim is a big boy and can argue all by himself. Lately, you jump in to defend rather than to take up a particular point. Probably not explaining it well but it annoys me that you keep trying to answer for other people, usually Jim, while I'm talking to them. Sure, we all do it sometimes but you're doing it all the time now.

So until I stop being so annoyed about it - regardless whether it's even a fault - I'm not playing with you because gouging out virtual eyeballs is somehow bad and I'm finding this nails on a chalkboard sonata annoying enough to consider it.
                  Sam probably thinks of JimL as simple-minded and feels the need to argue for him, to help JimL save face before he embarrasses himself too much. I find it very cute.

Comment

I was being facetious.
                    You didn't use your "facetious" tone

Comment

You didn't use your "facetious" tone
                      Yeah, I thought it was obviouser.

Comment

Jim often words things poorly, and the push back is often, in my case, for clarification. When challenged to back up claims, he has frequently responded with "it doesn't matter".

Personally, I'm trying to do better with regards to not nitpicking his nonstandard grammar and spelling, or attempting to demonstrate he's a "dummy" --- but he makes that a challenge by his constant childish "you Trumpsters", etc....

Perhaps you could serve as a life coach to him!

I think we're seeing that breakdown of care and articulation from a whole slew of people, most of whom, simply by the ideological lean of this subforum, exist on the other side. But despite their numbers being greater and their lake of care being more pronounced, we don't see them holding themselves to the same standards they advocate when challenged.

What I'm saying here is that people should have the courage to hold themselves up to the standard they're demanding from others -- to ensure that they're saying true things and, if shown to be saying false things, rethink of retract what they're saying. With all the piling on that JimL has gotten here for poor wording or false statements since my first post, both Rogue and Teallaura have made more numerous and more egregious errors in fact without pushback from the folks going after JimL.

--Sam
                        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• I'm not arguing for JimL, I am arguing for myself and against statements I know to be false. Simple-mindedness comes not from a humble intellect but from a deficit of candor and courage. I'm embarrassed for a whole lot of people these days but mostly for those who share my belief in Christ but dishonor Him by word and deed.

--Sam

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Sam probably thinks of JimL as simple-minded and feels the need to argue for him, to help JimL save face before he embarrasses himself too much. I find it very cute.

Comment

I think we're seeing that breakdown of care and articulation from a whole slew of people, most of whom, simply by the ideological lean of this subforum, exist on the other side. But despite their numbers being greater and their lake of care being more pronounced, we don't see them holding themselves to the same standards they advocate when challenged.

What I'm saying here is that people should have the courage to hold themselves up to the standard they're demanding from others -- to ensure that they're saying true things and, if shown to be saying false things, rethink of retract what they're saying. With all the piling on that JimL has gotten here for poor wording or false statements since my first post, both Rogue and Teallaura have made more numerous and more egregious errors in fact without pushback from the folks going after JimL.

--Sam
                            Sam, at this point, after watching people argue for three years now and not change their minds one iota on either side, I just don't take any of it seriously any more. Us arguing on tweb isn't going to change anyone's minds or anything in the actual world. It is just bloviating from both sides.

And I think JimL enjoys pushing our buttons as much as we do his. If I met you or JimL in real life I would be happy to share a pizza and a beer with you and be your friend.

Comment

I'm not arguing for JimL, I am arguing for myself and against statements I know to be false. Simple-mindedness comes not from a humble intellect but from a deficit of candor and courage. I'm embarrassed for a whole lot of people these days but mostly for those who share my belief in Christ but dishonor Him by word and deed.

--Sam
                              What's the view like from up there on your high horse?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                What's the view like from up there on your high horse?
                                Desolate, most of the time.

--Sam

Comment