Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Happy White Couples...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy White Couples...

Here is an exercise. Do a Google search on happy "black couples images", and this is what you get:

https://www.google.com/search?q=happ...w=1600&bih=757

Yes they are all black..

Now do "happy white couples images" and this is what you get:

https://www.google.com/search?q=happ...w=1600&bih=757

Black, mixed race, gay and some white...

Now this is not a commentary on gay or mixed race couples, but why would Google do this? A punishment for even daring to do a search on happy white couples?
    Last edited by seer; 12-06-2019, 01:46 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

duckduckgo.com shows pretty much the same. Could be the keywords on the sites.

Comment

This seems like a real stretch to get outraged over when it's almost certainly keyword related. The first two black couples that show up are on pictures that are labeled "on white background" which explains it.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

double post

Comment

Interesting. I don't see any design behind it either.

However, I just got through watching "Three Days Of The Condor" after a couple of decades (the movie hasn't aged well). I was surprised to find the copyright/patent owner of the film edited the word "homosexual" from it. It wasn't an attempt to clean up the language as all of the profanities were left in. And since the subtitles contain to the new edit, I assume it was an official edit.

The context: A government official (played by John Houseman) is considering why a member of his agency may have murdered his co-workers. He originally asked aloud "For example, has he gone into business for himself? Was he turned around? Does someone operate him? Homosexual? Broke? Vulnerable? Could he be a soldier of fortune?" The word "homosexual" was changed to "sexual" - which is meaningless. The suggestion was that he might have been blackmailed into committing murder.

This is just a subtle way Social Justice Warriors attempt to alter history, as though gays were never blackmailed. Heck, an entire movie was made on the subject in 1962, called "Victim".

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            This seems like a real stretch to get outraged over when it's almost certainly keyword related. The first two black couples that show up are on pictures that are labeled "on white background" which explains it.
            Who's outraged? I think that word is about as overused as "awesome".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              duckduckgo.com shows pretty much the same. Could be the keywords on the sites.
              Could very well be. I did check the two first examples and the keywords did include "white" e.g. in "white portrait".

Another reason could be that if it is a white couple it might not be as usual to describe it as a "white couple". It would perhaps more frequently just be described as "a couple" while a black couple would more frequently be describe as a "black couple".

If seer had analyzed the results he would have found that one of the pictures was from an article suggesting this explanation:

Google’s very own Danny Sullivan, who was tagged in a tweet related to the matter, decided to put rumors to rest by explaining why this happens. Apparently when someone uploads a picture of a white couple they don’t use any racial keywords. Basically, white couples are just described as “couples” whereas images of black couples are usually captioned as such. The only time the word “white” tends to get used when describing the couple is when it is an interracial couple, and since Google’s image search looks for keywords it ends up showing you images of interracial couples when you might be looking for a white one. Searching for a couple shows you mostly white couples, which in and of itself shows a racial bias among the users of the internet rather than Google. https://timmieblaze.wordpress.com/20...les-heres-why/
              Since duckduckgo.com give the same results and similar tendencies are seen on Bing I would be very reluctant to see this as google's punishment...
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if DuckDuckGo relies on Google for the search process.

There may not be very many groups who are independently building a search algorithm and webcrawler.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                  I wouldn't be surprised if DuckDuckGo relies on Google for the search process.

There may not be very many groups who are independently building a search algorithm and webcrawler.
                  Often the results between the two sites -- especially when looking for political and cultural stuff -- is markedly different, but who knows for things like images.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't know about race, but google definitely messes with the search keywords when it comes to politics, and this can be easily proven with the word suggestions they give you when you're typing in the search. For example: when you type in the name "Hillary Clinton," you get only search suggestions that reflect positively about Clinton from google than you do for any other search engine.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Often the results between the two sites -- especially when looking for political and cultural stuff -- is markedly different, but who knows for things like images.
                      I started using DuckDuckGo during the previous presidential campaign season simply because stories from a conservative perspective and older articles critical of liberals were becoming increasingly difficult to dredge up using Google.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        I don't know about race, but google definitely messes with the search keywords when it comes to politics, and this can be easily proven with the word suggestions they give you when you're typing in the search. For example: when you type in the name "Hillary Clinton," you get only search suggestions that reflect positively about Clinton from google than you do for any other search engine.
                        But if you are looking for proof you should test using other searches than "Hillary Clinton" to see what search suggestions they provide. I wrote "Donald Trump" and then continued to write the entire word "impeachment" without any suggestions pointing to that word. The same goes for "Donald Trump" and "lies".

Be careful before you conclude.
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                          But if you are looking for proof you should test using other searches than "Hillary Clinton" to see what search suggestions they provide. I wrote "Donald Trump" and then continued to write the entire word "impeachment" without any suggestions pointing to that word. The same goes for "Donald Trump" and "lies".

Be careful before you conclude.
                          When I typed "Donald Trump i" the first suggestion I got was "Impeachment Live."

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            He has a neat way of showing he’s not obsessed with white nationalist outrage.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              When I typed "Donald Trump i" the first suggestion I got was "Impeachment Live."
                              And I don't. You claimed you had proof. It rather seems you have a few observations and I do not get the same results when I test. You need a lot more if you want to prove anything.

Comment