Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 207

Thread: False Idol Why the Christian Right Worships Donald Trump

  1. #71
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19,277
    Amen (Given)
    6051
    Amen (Received)
    7213
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    ...you aren't even refuting the accusations...
    Because unpacking all of the assumptions behind each item in your laundry list would take more time and effort than I care to expend.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  2. #72
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    649
    Amen (Given)
    57
    Amen (Received)
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Why should he refute when you've provided no evidence?

    Some of the accusations that 'Orange Man Bad' are hard to establish. 'He refused to pay some contractors, boohoo', we all know stories of terrible contractors and Trump's side of the story is that he refused to pay them because they did bad work and therefore broke the contract. It would be natural for many such stories to exist, since Trump built a lot of buildings and must have hired thousands of contractors. How are we to judge the truth without looking at the contract, and whatever service the contractors provided? It's impossible, and taking these seriously demonstrates your gullibility.
    If you have Netflix, check out the "Confidence Man" episode on Dirty Money. Also. I'm inclined to believe certain things about Trump because of the repeated accusations by tons and tons of people. in aggregate, there's more credibility. To take your argument further, I shouldn't ever believe than anyone has done anything wrong unless I've had the opportunity to launch a full-scale investigation personally.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

  3. #73
    tWebber demi-conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,451
    Amen (Given)
    141
    Amen (Received)
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    He hasn't even really denied them, he's avoided talking about them. If he asked for proof, I'd bother to spend my time gathering it. Honestly though, I doubt he's interested in that proof, so why waste my time.
    If you have no proof, why do you think you've established anything? You've not made an actual argument, so yes, in your words MM gets to "pretend to have settled the argument when he didn't really make an argument at all", and "I reject your facts" because you've established nothing with zero proof, as you admit.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

  4. #74
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19,277
    Amen (Given)
    6051
    Amen (Received)
    7213
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    No, but Mountain Man doesn't get to pretend to have settled the argument when he didn't really make an argument at all. "I reject your facts" is a terrible argument.
    Which is why what I'm really rejecting are your hidden assumptions.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  5. #75
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    649
    Amen (Given)
    57
    Amen (Received)
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    If you have no proof, why do you think you've established anything? You've not made an actual argument, so yes, in your words MM gets to "pretend to have settled the argument when he didn't really make an argument at all", and "I reject your facts" because you've established nothing with zero proof, as you admit.
    Don't be obtuse. I said I hadn't provided proof; not that I didn't have any. Gimme a few minutes and I'll go gathering information for you, you sanctimonious jerk.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

  6. #76
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    649
    Amen (Given)
    57
    Amen (Received)
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Which is why what I'm really rejecting are your hidden assumptions.
    My assumptions aren't hidden, I know what they are. Instead of using catch-phrases, try to make real argument for once.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

  7. #77
    tWebber demi-conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,451
    Amen (Given)
    141
    Amen (Received)
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    Don't be obtuse. I said I hadn't provided proof; not that I didn't have any. Gimme a few minutes and I'll go gathering information for you, you sanctimonious jerk.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof". Until then, MM and I are not going to take your claims seriously.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

  8. #78
    tWebber demi-conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,451
    Amen (Given)
    141
    Amen (Received)
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    I think it's important to let it be known I don't condone presidential crotch-grabbing
    I've posted elsewhere that Trump has almost certainly gotten a grip on his philandering habits, otherwise 24/7 her face would be on CNN.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

  9. #79
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    649
    Amen (Given)
    57
    Amen (Received)
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof". Until then, MM and I are not going to take your claims seriously.
    https://time.com/4101290/what-the-le...t-its-founder/

    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/24/n...trump-nyc.html

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...4c7_story.html

    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/08/u...ranscript.html

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9011021.html

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalex.../#6414d60abc32

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels.../#54b5dae540a4

    If you're not paying attention to the news, then that's your fault, not mine. This ought to get you started. The things I've mentioned were so well established by the news media, I didn't really expect anyone other than MM to deny them. But hey, learn something new every day.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

  10. #80
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    649
    Amen (Given)
    57
    Amen (Received)
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    I've posted elsewhere that Trump has almost certainly gotten a grip on his philandering habits, otherwise 24/7 her face would be on CNN.
    Yeah sorry, poor choice of phrase there. I was going for dramatic. But you do acknowledge he was once a philanderer, as far as we can tell?
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •