Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: False Idol — Why the Christian Right Worships Donald Trump

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Nope. We've been through this. Obama is not predicting the future but rather what he thought was taking place then as a result of his nomination. Read what he said not what you want him to mean.
    That’s a reach. You’re reading way too much into that one.

Funny you ignore Trump’s penchant to call himself the greatest at everything, see the hyperbole in Trump as saying “no one knows more about [blank] than me” but extrapolate that Obama regularly deified himself in his speeches.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I think more people think Trump is the devil rather than a god.
    He certainly acts more like the Devil than he does God. But equivalence is not an appropriate relation in either case.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    That’s a reach. You’re reading way too much into that one.

Funny you ignore Trump’s penchant to call himself the greatest at everything, see the hyperbole in Trump as saying “no one knows more about [blank] than me” but extrapolate that Obama regularly deified himself in his speeches.
    In Trump's case, we easily laugh off most of it. Maybe we were inoculated against it by the bombastic tongue-in-cheek grandiosity of El Rushbo.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

4. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Maybe we were inoculated against it by the bombastic tongue-in-cheek grandiosity of El Rushbo.
    Almost always right, 99.8% of the time. Half his brain tied behind his back, just to make it fair.

Thing with Obama, I never got the impression his self-praise deliberately exaggerated for the sake of humor.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

6. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Obviously not. Otherwise Jesus lied to the thief on the cross.

According to Romans 10:9, "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." That's the only requirement for salvation.
    Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptised shall be saved.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Ironic that, as a skeptic, you're quick to point out that those verses were added as later interpolations to discredit Mark's report of the resurrection, until it serves your purpose in an argument, then it suddenly becomes genuine scripture.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    Funny how you didn't quote the whole verse and deceptively added a period where there should be a comma:

"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

Notice it doesn't say that the one who is not baptized will be condemned, only the one who does not believe.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Funny how you didn't quote the whole verse and deceptively added a period where there should be a comma:

"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

Notice it doesn't say that the one who is not baptized will be condemned, only the one who does not
    Baptism nowhere is claimed to save apart from faith. So not believing is sufficient to condemn. Only when combined with faith does it have any power. The debate is does faith have to be combined with baptism for it to save. And there is the corrollary that helps clarify the issue, is faith that refuses baptism actually saving faith?
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-10-2019 at 10:55 PM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Ironic that, as a skeptic, you're quick to point out that those verses were added as later interpolations to discredit Mark's report of the resurrection, until it serves your purpose in an argument, then it suddenly becomes genuine scripture.
    I have no idea what you're talking about, I never knew nor did I ever point out any such thing. But if it's an interpolation, why does it remain in the bible?

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Notice it doesn't say that the one who is not baptized will be condemned, only the one who does not believe.
    That latter point doesn't negate the former. If you don't believe, you wouldn't be saved, so it wouldn't matter if you're baptised or not, ergo there'd be no reason to add that to the latter verse.