Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: False Idol — Why the Christian Right Worships Donald Trump

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    1 Peter says that baptism is a saving act and not that it is necessary for salvation.
    MM - I'm not debating whether or not you should read that verse in a specific way. My point is that other Christian traditions read it differently. Are you going to claim any Christian tradition that understands this verse to imply the sacrement of Baptism is required is not Christian? If not, then there is nothing more to say, because all I'm doing is pointing out there is more than one understanding of that verse within the Christian faith. If so, then you exclude a very large part of Christendom from being 'Christian'.

Jim
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

2. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    MM - I'm not debating whether or not you should read that verse in a specific way. My point is that other Christian traditions read it differently. Are you going to claim any Christian tradition that understands this verse to imply the sacrement of Baptism is required is not Christian? If not, then there is nothing more to say, because all I'm doing is pointing out there is more than one understanding of that verse within the Christian faith. If so, then you exclude a very large part of Christendom from being 'Christian'.

Jim
    He has no problem with that.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    Wow, you put a lot of work into that. Thanks for proving no one literally worshipped Obama and that black people (and many liberal whites) had the tendency to be exultant at having an African American in the WH—something most of the population literally thought was impossible given the history of America.

Obama turned out to be just another snake like Clinton and Bush 2, and now Trump to an enormous degree (who debased the national discourse like no one before him) but I don’t blame African Americans for being excited about Obama’s election even to the point of comic apotheosis.
    Yeah, they just praised him as a messiah and declared he was equivalent to if not greater than Jesus and is a god. No worship there

Oh, and a lot of those on bended knee showering their Obamessiah with adoration are definitely not black such as Evan Thomas, Chris Matthews, Ezra Klein, Mark Morford, Barbara Walters, Michael D'Antuono, Angelo Cruciani, Jonathan Alter, Dave Stewart, Jason Alexander, Margaret Cho and Joan Baez. A few others I have no idea what their race may be.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

5. Amen Cerebrum123, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    It's just another one of rogue's zillion paragraphs of cherry-picked quotes, which he thinks makes for an unbeatable argument. It's endearing really.
    I have to admit that I do enjoy how you grumble about how much evidence is presented. No wonder you're such a fan of this evidence-free impeachment, no messy evidence to muck things up.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

7. Amen NorrinRadd, One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think more people think Trump is the devil rather than a god.

9. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    All that phrase means is his administration recognizes and will work to combat global warming. To put that up as a claim to messiahship is so overtly ridiculous as to say more about those thinking it's a claim to deity than obama

That said, it is ridiculously optimistic given the political realities of our country.
    Nope. We've been through this. Obama is not predicting the future but rather what he thought was taking place then as a result of his nomination. Read what he said not what you want him to mean.

11. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are you going to claim any Christian tradition that understands this verse to imply the sacrement of Baptism is required is not Christian?
    No.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Actually, a great deal of it was downright blasphemous.
    Big time.

14. Amen mossrose, Cerebrum123, Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Nope. We've been through this. Obama is not predicting the future but rather what he thought was taking place then as a result of his nomination. Read what he said not what you want him to mean.

That is absurd. It's referring to the effect of Global warming and his belief he would be able to address the effect of rising sea levels and that future generations would mark his administration as the first real effort to push back on AGW.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post

Yep, we've been through this before. And therevis nothing in this text to justify your insinuation he's claiming some level of deity. I've got it exactly right in terms of what the reference means.
    Source: obama

The journey will be difficult. The road will be long. I face this challenge with profound humility, and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people. Because if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. This was the moment - this was the time - when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals. Thank you, God Bless you, and may God Bless the United States of America

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by oxmixmudd; 12-10-2019 at 01:53 PM.